White Sox Winner !

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Sox finally win a game. HRs from three guys who would make a big difference in the lineup if they had fantastic seasons. Colas, Moncada and Vaughn. I will say this about Vaughn (.259 trending upward). He tries to hit a home run every at bat and occasionally blasts a shot over the wall or finds the gap. Sheets is finished but there still may be an iota of hope for Vaughn.

I didn't watch the game.  I was half-contemplating turning it on when my daughter called and said she had a flat tire.  Since changing a tire in a Ross parking lot could be more fun than watching a Sox game, I ran out the door.

Moncada looks like a different player, more like the 2021 version.  Maybe he's finally healthy.  This Yoan Moncada will be nice to have around in 2024, and with it being his last year before potential free agency, he could have a nice season.

It's good to see Vaughn hitting better.  His average is trending upward, and he's had some impressive home runs.

Figuring Toussaint will be part of the rotation next season, it's nice to see him have a decent outing.  He's got great stuff.  If he can get better control, he could be a pretty good starting pitcher.

• Haha 1

Andrew Vaughn, last 6 games of August: .227/.227/.409/.636. .222 BABIP. 

Andrew Vaughn, first 6 games of September: .348/.348/.652/1.000. .316 BABIP.

He's coming around finally, it's a super long trend of...6 solid games!

(By the way, his last walk was August 18. He has 2 walks since the start of August. 3 since the start of July. Yuck. I mean, wowza that's bad.).

36 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If Vaughn can finish the season around .270 with like 22-23 HRs that would be a pretty solid output for him.

That’s pretty much where I’m at. He’s not good, but he’s actually better than what I thought he was.

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

perfectly respectable center fielder numbers.

😆

I dug into his splits a bit, wondering if he's unlocked something. And the answer is... maybe? He basically hasn't walked since the all-star break - his batting average has gone up by 49 points in H2 vs H1, but his OBP is DOWN 7 points. That seems hard to do. SLG up by 19 points.

Over the last month, though, he's at .299/.322/.460, which is fine. .313/.327/.542 over the last 2 weeks. If he gets that OBP up he'll be a nice low-mid .800s OPS guy, which I think will put him over 2 WAR as a first baseman over a full season. He's probably never going to be more than mid-high 4s SLG, though, unless he earns more power through being more selective or through a swing improvement. I doubt the Sox can do either.

Edited by almagest

Vaughn is having a better year than the guy he replaced, Jose Abreu.  Better BA, power numbers, almost the same number RBIs, and a positive WAR!  I think many of us thought they'd have similar years, but Jose's dreadful start gave Vaughn a head start.  If (big if, I know) the Vaughn we're seeing now is more like the Vaughn we'll see going forward, I can't complain.  If he can be a perennial .265+/25+ HRs/80+ RBIs guy along with playing a serviceable 1B, he'll be far from the biggest problem on the team in 2024 and beyond.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Vaughn is having a better year than the guy he replaced, Jose Abreu.  Better BA, power numbers, almost the same number RBIs, and a positive WAR!  I think many of us thought they'd have similar years, but Jose's dreadful start gave Vaughn a head start.  If (big if, I know) the Vaughn we're seeing now is more like the Vaughn we'll see going forward, I can't complain.  If he can be a perennial .265+/25+ HRs/80+ RBIs guy along with playing a serviceable 1B, he'll be far from the biggest problem on the team in 2024 and beyond.

He has .4 fWAR. His wRC is 106. he has almost 1500 MLB PA and his career fWAR is -.4.

He's not good and he's part of the problem. A guy we were counting on to be a star isn't even an average regular.

14 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He has .4 fWAR. His wRC is 106. he has almost 1500 MLB PA and his career fWAR is -.4.

He's not good and he's part of the problem. A guy we were counting on to be a star isn't even an average regular.

I did say it's a big if.  Still, he's not going to be one of the biggest problems for this team.