Whitesox talk podcast..

JoshPR

Most interesting part for me is when a member in the front office who never played the game belittled Gordon's actual MLB career, which he rightly said should always be a no no. He wouldn't name names. I guessed Hahn or Haber, but he spoke with passion about respecting effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Most interesting part for me is when a member in the front office who never played the game belittled Gordon's actual MLB career, which he rightly said should always be a no no. He wouldn't name names. I guessed Hahn or Haber, but he spoke with passion about respecting effort.

Not unusual for a bad player to do.

27 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Not unusual for a bad player to do.

You change what you can change? I don’t know everything about Gordon’s career but don’t you want players that try to max out whatever potential they have?

edit: All the specifics beyond the slash lines. How hard was he working, was he a good teammate, etc.

Edited by MackowiakYakYak

2 hours ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

You change what you can change? I don’t know everything about Gordon’s career but don’t you want players that try to max out whatever potential they have?

edit: All the specifics beyond the slash lines. How hard was he working, was he a good teammate, etc.

Thomas believes he was brought up too soon.  Some scouts didn't like his swing but they drafted him anyway.  He wasn't good at baseball and not just for the Sox.

• Like 1

It was an interesting podcast. The one thing that caught my attention is the fact that Beckham said Getz and him had multiple conversations about how Getz would have traded certain players when they were at their peak values (selling high). This was something that Hahn obviously struggled with. He held onto certain guys for too long. I’ll be interested to see if Getz is bold enough to sell high on specific guys moving forward in an effort to fill other needs. Tampa Bay is brilliant at this. Tampa likely has a much more advanced scouting department though. The Sox current scouting department is trash. Will Jerry give him the necessary financial resources to fix that mess? Only time will tell. If Jerry doesn’t, it will likely be the same old crappy white sox. 

41 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

It was an interesting podcast. The one thing that caught my attention is the fact that Beckham said Getz and him had multiple conversations about how Getz would have traded certain players when they were at their peak values (selling high). This was something that Hahn obviously struggled with. He held onto certain guys for too long. I’ll be interested to see if Getz is bold enough to sell high on specific guys moving forward in an effort to fill other needs. Tampa Bay is brilliant at this. Tampa likely has a much more advanced scouting department though. The Sox current scouting department is trash. Will Jerry give him the necessary financial resources to fix that mess? Only time will tell. If Jerry doesn’t, it will likely be the same old crappy white sox. 

the trademark of small market habitually losing organizations -  the worst idea if you can't scout and develop

The haul is the biggest myth in baseball

Opposing GMs (the good ones) know other team's scouting and developing.   They don't give up their real top tier prospects and prospect raking is not something to put faith in.  Those GMs can make you think you are getting Grey Goose and the taste say Smirnoff.

16 hours ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

End of the day that is all you can control. Every one of this guys have parents. Should you get mad cause your kid isn’t the next Trout…no.

Only thing any parent can wish for their kids is they work hard, play the game the right way, and do the best to maximize themselves to be the best they can be.

Ultimately the best for one is not the best for the other. The same holds for ball players - you just want them to become the best they can.

We get mad at the Sox but it is because the Sox seem to think Sheets can be something he isn’t. I don’t care how hard Sheers work, he just isn’t a major leaguer and certainly not a major league outfielder. But someone like Yoan or Eloy or Tim - they can be more and they aren’t and this whole team makes so many stupid mistakes (running, wrong cut off, weak at bats). Very clear a lot don’t put in the work - and work isn’t just what you do from the physical side, but also what they do with the mental side. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

the trademark of small market habitually losing organizations -  the worst idea if you can't scout and develop

The haul is the biggest myth in baseball

Opposing GMs (the good ones) know other team's scouting and developing.   They don't give up their real top tier prospects and prospect raking is not something to put faith in.  Those GMs can make you think you are getting Grey Goose and the taste say Smirnoff.

Actually - if true - this would be the most refreshing news I have heard from Getz. Sox need to operate much more like a small market team. Own it and be a small market team with a higher payroll so you can opportunistically buy but they got to own what JR has in place (ie don’t pretend you are going to land a mega free agent or sign a pitcher to long term deals - including your own). 

1 hour ago, GreatScott82 said:

The downfall is - he has no one to sell high on rate now. The cupboard is real bare. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

The downfall is - he has no one to sell high on rate now. The cupboard is real bare. 

Yep. Sox really don’t have much of anything of quality on the main roster. Outside of Robert and maybe Cease, it’s a big pile of shitty players and unknowns. I’m thinking TA might bring you back something decent at the trade deadline if he finally stays healthy and performs at his former rate. The jury is still out on Andrew Vaughn. But he would definitely need to take that next step in 2024 to obtain any sort of value. Moncada and Eloy will essentially be paid to leave if Getz decides to go down that route. Those two names will be the biggest names to watch this offseason. Can Getz even bring anything of value for Eloy? And will Jerry even allow Getz to DFA Moncada and his $24 million salary? 

The more I talk about this potential 2024 roster destruction and construction, the more I realize this team will likely not be able to compete until 2025 minimum. But when it’s time to finally rebuild a winner, will Jerry give Getz the necessary resources to go for it financially? I think we all know the answer to that question. 

• Like 1