I've liked every Sox manager on Day 1

cwsox

just not happy about this

a lot of big talk - yeah, lets pound on chests and thump the air - from a guy who never laid off a pitch and once said he didn't need the fans.

I'm not going to daily b**** and moan about him - I wish him every success - but I just want to be on record, especially after reading some of his quotes as posted here, that I am not happy about this at all.

I think you take a chance at a time like this. KC caught lightning in a bottle with Tony Pena and we are hoping to do the same. Either way, alot of people wanted the new manager be more upbeat than Jerry Manuel just to change things up.

Also loling because Hawk is on TV saying "I guarantee y'all will have some damn fun next year".

Cw, you're certainly entitled to your opinion and it's well-respected.

On the other hand, defending Ozzie and his comments today, what did you expect from him besides a fiery attitude and aggressive nature?

It's just too early to tell how this is going to work out, but I gotta give him credit for his enthusiasm and desire to succeed.

let's wait to see what kind of pitching he gets before we make any decisions. If KW resigns Colon or gets another top-notch starter, he's got a chance.

Cito was no lock to win.

not unless he was bringing Dave Stewart, John Olerud, Paul Molitor, Robbie in his prime, Duane Ward and Joe Carter with him.

The 25-man roster is going to dictate more than the guy on the bench.

Teams often hire guys who have qualities missing in the guy they dumped.

Manuel got the job because he was thougtful, thorough and easy-going while Bevington was considered shallow and hard-headed.

Now Ozzie replaces Manuel because Manuel was considered lifeless and unable to inspire the players.

time will tell.

Experience doesn't always mean everything. Ozzie brings heart to a team that didn't have any and I guarantee he'll have a positive effect on the young players in the clubhouse as witnessed in Florida. He's learned from alot of top notch managers, and he'll have some good help from Nossek who's been around the league for a long time. I don't think he will be a fantastic manager in his first year, but I do think he will learn fast and become a very good manager in the years to come. No one will really know until next October, but I for one am happy with the decision to go with Guillen. And as a Sox fan to all you other Sox fans, even though you may not like it, let's wish him and our team the best.

i think its the right decision because Cito was fired in 1997 and hasnt worked since...if he's so great, why no other jobs???....why did he lose the years after the world series titles???...was he that important to the team during those years or was he just like a nobody in the clubhouse, even worse than Manuel??

the biggest question about Cito Gaston is why wasnt there any great reason besides the 2 world series title tohire him....why couldn't he be sold to the public?? ( or in other words...what about...passion,knowledge,fire,skill, and socialbility)

:usa

a lot of big talk - yeah, lets pound on chests and thump the air - from a guy who never laid off a pitch and once said he didn't need the fans.

Is there a link to this quote? I've heard that this was half the quote, that the entire quote actually was, "The players don't owe anything to the fans but 100%."

Does anyone know where I could find a link to the Q&A this quote comes from? I've tried searching via google, but couldn't find anything. I am just curious to see the whole Q and the whole reply.

Thanks! :)

This doesn't feel right to me either.  It seems his style might grow old on players, especially veterans real quick.  I certainly hope I'm wrong.

I didn't get to watch the press conference but have read quotes here on the board. I like what I hear. I also think that he just spent a year under Jack McKeon and probably heard Jack's speech to the Marlins when he first arrived. I'm willing to bet there are some parallels between the two speeches. Look, he told it like it is. No veteran should get sick of him unless Ozzie is riding his ass. Ozzie shouldn't be riding anyone's ass unless they aren't performing. So if the veterans don't want to perform, f*** em if they don't like Ozzie, they can think about it while they're riding the pine. I only see a couple of players that could be considered veterans that could have a problem with Ozzie...Frank (finally find out if he's capable of being a team player), Paulie (he's used to have to speaking up because JM wouldn't, now he needs to shut up and play), Robbie (i doubt this being a problem being he seems to fit Ozzie's "style"), and Jose (let's hope he's gone).

i think its the right decision because Cito was fired in 1997 and hasnt worked since...if he's so great, why no other jobs???....why did he lose the years  after the world series titles

According to Cito, racism :lol: .

After Cito threw race into it, I'm happy they went with Guillen.

And in defense of KW, he did say that he contacted the likes of Leyland and Kelly. Either they aren't interested in managing or they aren't interested in managing the White Sox. Or KW is lying :bang .

Is there a link to this quote? I've heard that this was half the quote, that the entire quote actually was, "The players don't owe anything to the fans but 100%."

Does anyone know where I could find a link to the Q&A this quote comes from? I've tried searching via google, but couldn't find anything. I am just curious to see the whole Q and the whole reply.

there was no "but 100%" on that for the original quote.

CK remembers this as vividly as I do so maybe he can add something here.

there was no "but 100%" on that for the original quote.

CK remembers this as vividly as I do sop maybe he can add something here.

I have no memory of any of it (too many other things going on in my life then). My mom remembers it the 100% way and that is why I have been trying to find a link, although I am sure the Chicago media will bring it up sooner or later.

just not happy about this

I'm not going to daily b**** and moan about him - I wish him every success - but I just want to be on record, especially after reading some of his quotes as posted here, that I am not happy about this at all.

Well CW none of those managers that you thought good of originally really got the job done in the end, so maybe the guy you don't like will get the job. I like this move because going with the most knowledgeable baseball guy has never worked for this team. And Ozzie seems like a good change of pace.

On a side note I gave a fist pump when I read that Ozzie got the job. :headbang

some people are misunderstanding Guillens philosophy when it comes to having guys bunt.

he didn't say Frank Thomas will be bunting, but he did say that if guys are gonna go up to the plate and fail to move guys over (via groundballs to the right side and fly balls deep enough in the outfield), he will have them bunt which is EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED.

will Guillen be a good manager? only time will tell. In my opinion, I think he will have some problems when it comes to strategy, but that is just because he's young. his energy and dedication can't hurt this team though.

he wants guys who play the game hard and play it the way it should be played, whether they are good guys or not.

on a side note, I don't think there was any other person they could have signed that would've have made all Sox fans happy. If Gaston was chosen, people would've gotten upset because he's too laid back and plays the race card. Had they of picked someone like Francona or Bell, some would have complained that they are proven ... failures. they could have went with Bobby Valentine, but some people, like me, wouldn't have been completely happy with it.

no matter who they went with, their was gonna be doubters, because #1, there hasn't been a hands down, top-of-the-line manager out there, and #2, Sox fans are known to complain about everything.

I just hope they build Guillen a strong, deep pitching staff and a quicker, more agressive core on offense. they do that, and I think Guillen can make something happen. I just have my doubts when it comes to running a staff with holes (which will put him in a lot of tough situations) and an offense with too many big bats (which will limit his creativity).

Well CW none of those managers that you thought good of originally really got the job done in the end

I would love to be proven wrong.

And some of the managers I liked on Day One did do the job - remember I am old enough to go back to when Lopez (we got a guy from Cleveland?) and LaRussa (who is this guy, he never managed before) were hired and there are others that I would argue did the job.

If next October I am watching the World Series at USCF, I will happily admit I was wrong. I don't know that Gaston was the perfect choice either. Not sure who I would have gone with. Just not convinced on this one at all, not a bit. It won't be proven to me until I see it on the field.

There is something askew in the Gaston package.

He's been outta the game too long.

He came from ahead to lose this job.

He went back to the team that fired him to be a bench coach.

He's totally off the radar despite winning two world series titles.

And I'm sure he wanted too much money.

Ozzie is unproven.

So was Gardenhire.

And grady little.

And Ken Macha.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Ever since JM managed this time, I always wanted a guy who would light a fire under their asses for not performing. Ozzie will do that, he'll tell it like it is. Most baseball experts r praising KW and JR for this hire, look what Tom Candiotti said,

Hiring Ozzie Guillen was a great move for the Chicago White Sox.

In baseball, there are a couple of key positions that allow players to develop into good managers -- catchers and shortstops are at the top of that list. Although they're not calling the pitches, shortstops are in charge of defensive positioning and alerting teammates of the pitch called and how to shift accordingly.

There's a lot involved in becoming a three-time All Star shortstop and Guillen will bring that knowledge to the managerial position.

Being the third-base coach for the World Series-winning Florida Marlins certainly garnered Guillen additional attention, but he's just one of those guys who makes a good impression no matter where he goes. And he's been a part of the White Sox organization for so long. Heck, I remember playing against him in the minor leagues. So, he not only has roots within the organization, but within the community as well.

More than anything, Guillen will bring a ton of enthusiasm to a ball club that last year, didn't look as if they were having much fun. Guillen has a great attitude and certainly knows how to lighten things up.

Here's to Ozzie and hopefully all of his future success as manager of the Chicago White Sox! :cheers