Why Sox need a Soxfest...

Lip Man 1

8 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Tonight was a good time. Very unique. We pretty much had the whole museum to ourselves, players were scattered throughout, and you got get a pic or autograph if you wanted. Got to talk to Sheets, Eder, Soroka, Kittle, DeJong and Montgomery. I’d say for what the Sox have offered season ticket holders in the past, this was one of the better events pre-Covid, despite all the beer running out in the first 45 min. I drink wine too so it was whatever.

That part would be super cool.  I go to an annual convention in DC and they always do this in a Smithsonian.  

• Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson said Wednesday that the White Sox‘ proposed South Loop stadium project is “the way new stadiums should and could look,” despite it not actually being a proposal yet, having only designs that were leaked anonymously to Xitter and then taken down, and having a funding plan that can best be described as “Wait, I thought you had the money.” Johnson added, “I just hope that this is … yet another display of my leadership,” and if by “display” he means “telling example,” then I think we can all agree that yep, sure is.
  • fieldofschemes.com

54 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is precisely why they don't need the event. When he becomes a therapy session for adults it's no longer fun for many fans especially the kids. 

I disagree. I used to go to all the Soxfest, and usually every day. I never went in an autograph line, never really interacted with players, except Ron Kittle, who apparently thinks I’m someone he knows. He is a fun and nice guy, but for some reason he thinks I’m someone else. He just comes up and talks to me. But I always loved the seminars. They were interesting, even with the fluff aspect of the event. Now, I would be opposed to fans actually yelling, but asking tough questions, and getting real answers is something  we all deserve especially after the last couple of seasons. With Rick Hahn being  the mouthpiece of the front office for so long , it’s been a while since there has been a straight answer.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I disagree. I used to go to all the Soxfest, and usually every day. I never went in an autograph line, never really interacted with players, except Ron Kittle, who apparently thinks I’m someone he knows. He is a fun and nice guy, but for some reason he thinks I’m someone else. He just comes up and talks to me. But I always loved the seminars. They were interesting, even with the fluff aspect of the event. Now, I would be opposed to fans actually yelling, but asking tough questions, and getting real answers is something  we all deserve especially after the last couple of seasons. With Rick Hahn being  the mouthpiece of the front office for so long , it’s been a while since there has been a straight answer.

To each his own. I agree parts were fine. But the last couple of them anytime a one from the FO was present it devolved into a complaining Therapy session. Asking tough questions was fine but the complaning and moaning about everything got tiresome. 

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

never really interacted with players, except Ron Kittle, who apparently thinks I’m someone he knows. He is a fun and nice guy, but for some reason he thinks I’m someone else. He just comes up and talks to me.

Lol

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

To each his own. I agree parts were fine. But the last couple of them anytime a one from the FO was present it devolved into a complaining Therapy session. Asking tough questions was fine but the complaning and moaning about everything got tiresome. 

I do think people need to be civil., and the question I would have had this year would have been to JR and he’s not going to be answering questions anyway. I would like to know which of the Chris Getz moves this offseason couldn’t have been made by someone without at least a season in the organization. They can’t waste a year. Looks like that’s just what they are doing. 

• Fire 1

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not a single person has mentioned this when Soxfest has been talked about, but sure.

I have literally said this numerous times on this site and seen other Sox fans on Twitter say the exact same thing.  I fucking loved SoxFest as a kid and so did my older son.  He still asks to go every year but I have to tell him it doesn’t exist anymore for…reasons.  I even had a long-winded exchange via email with Brooks Boyer on this very point and he acknowledged that it sucks for my son.  But I do appreciate you telling me otherwise in a very condescending way.

• Fire 2

11 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Tonight was a good time. Very unique. We pretty much had the whole museum to ourselves, players were scattered throughout, and you got get a pic or autograph if you wanted. Got to talk to Sheets, Eder, Soroka, Kittle, DeJong and Montgomery. I’d say for what the Sox have offered season ticket holders in the past, this was one of the better events pre-Covid, despite all the beer running out in the first 45 min. I drink wine too so it was whatever.

2 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I was also there and agree that it was very cool setting and event. My wife really enjoyed exploring the museum and exhibits in a non-crowded setting. 

Sounds like a great event. I encourage everyone who has a chance to take advantage of evenings (or just attending if you haven’t been for a while) our treasures such as the Art Institute, Museum of Science and Industry, the Chicago Historical Society and others.

Sounds like a great event last night as well. The season ticket holders deserved it for their loyalty, and I hope they restore other perks such as the event you can go play catch on the field. The corporate sponsor events are great as well and include the chance at batting practice.

I’ve never been to SoxFest beyond meeting people after it was over for drinks, but glad they are restoring it for people who like to interact with the players and staff.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, I’d like to take my sons to SoxFest who want to go to see players and get autographs.  Yelling is actually a second for me (although I’d love to partake) and I’m sure there are many others with young children who feel the same.

Yes, my son has been waiting to go for the last two years. Potentially meeting a player/getting an autograph, getting a souvenir/game ball are some of his favorite parts of going to a game.

He couldn’t believe there’s an actual event where you have that opportunity to meet almost every player and get their autograph. After the last two years have been cancelled, he’s probably starting to think I’m making it all up. 

I’m just pumped to finally take him next year. I doubt I’ll do much yelling at his favorite team in front of him lol. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Sambuca said:

Yes, my son has been waiting to go for the last two years. Potentially meeting a player/getting an autograph, getting a souvenir/game ball are some of his favorite parts of going to a game.

He couldn’t believe there’s an actual event where you have that opportunity to meet almost every player and get their autograph. After the last two years have been cancelled, he’s probably starting to think I’m making it all up. 

I’m just pumped to finally take him next year. I doubt I’ll do much yelling at his favorite team in front of him lol. 

I’m excited for you.  It was so much fun going each year and using it as a way to get the kids more ingrained into the fandom.  I think people forgot the magic of getting to meet players, get autographs, see all the memorabilia, etc. for little kids.  Just a major loss for me and my family, especially when I temporarily lived in Nashville and couldn’t go to games very easily.  We had planned to make an event out of it each year as I did as a kid, but unfortunately Covid hit and the Sox just canceled it.  Super pumped to finally take my boys again next year.

• Fire 1

Why should we trust the White Sox in free agency with self-imposed spending limits…in the draft and development game…in international free agency with the Cuban Connection drying up…and in general when the Big 3 trades (not to mention Frazier Robertson Kahnle) have been roughly cut in half and there’s no tanking for draft position or subsidy for operating like a small to mid market club???

Long winded, yes.

The answer will probably be the new stadium, the new stadium, the new stadium will generate sufficient additional revenues to eventually compete.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 11:03 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m excited for you.  It was so much fun going each year and using it as a way to get the kids more ingrained into the fandom.  I think people forgot the magic of getting to meet players, get autographs, see all the memorabilia, etc. for little kids.  Just a major loss for me and my family, especially when I temporarily lived in Nashville and couldn’t go to games very easily.  We had planned to make an event out of it each year as I did as a kid, but unfortunately Covid hit and the Sox just canceled it.  Super pumped to finally take my boys again next year.

Thanks, man. Appreciate it.

We took a roadtrip to Charlotte this past summer knowing there’s an opportunity for more interaction with the players before and after games. He was in awe personally handing Oscar Colas and Victor Reyes a ball to sign, getting a baseball thrown to him from a random reliever after a game, and getting some promotional stuff from their staff. 

You’re 100% right that’s the kind of stuff that helps turn kids into real fans. It’s definitely not just watching entire 9 inning games, especially during years when the team blows. I had to lie and tell him the Cubs were horrible this past season too lol. 

Glad you’ll be back in action as well!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1