White Sox, Getz have more work to do before spring training opens

South Side Hit Men

They have time two plus seasons to build on this, but with a few decent trades (including Cease), picks, and international and domestic free agent signings, they can build a decent core. The Rangers and Diamondbacks lost 102 and 110 games respectively in 2021. 

2026 Chicago White Sox current barebones pieces

• C E. Quero (23) Min
  • 1B A. Vaughn (28) Arb 3
  • 2B J. Rodriguez (25) Min
  • SS C. Montgomery (24) Min
  • 3B B. Ramos (24) Min
  • LF A. Benintendi (32) $17.1M
  • CF L. Robert Jr. (29) $20.0M
  • RF W. Veras (23) Min
  • C C. Perez (30) Min-Arb 1
  • INF R. Gonzalez (29) Arb 1
  • INF L. Sosa (26) Min
  • 3B W. Kath (23) Min
  • MI R. Burrowes (22) Min
  • OF O. Colas (28) Min-Arb 1

Say you can get 3 of these in your rotation and another 3-5 + in the bullpen.

• SP J. Eder (28) Min
  • SP C. Mena (23) Min
  • SP N. Nastrini (26) Min
  • SP S. Burke (26) Min
  • SP N. Schultz (23) Min
  • SP K. Bush (26) Min
  • SP J. Cannon (26) Min
  • SP P. Pallette (25) Min
  • RP G. Crochet (27) Arb 3
  • RP G. Santos (27) Arb 1
  • RP J. Leasure (28) Min
Edited by South Side Hit Men

40 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They have time two plus seasons to build on this, but with a few decent trades (including Cease), picks, and international and domestic free agent signings, they can build a decent core. The Rangers and Diamondbacks lost 102 and 110 games respectively in 2021. 

• C E. Quero (23) Min
  • 3B B. Ramos (24) Min
  • RF W. Veras (23) Min
  • INF L. Sosa (26) Min
  • 3B W. Kath (23) Min

• SP J. Eder (28) Min
  • SP C. Mena (23) Min
  • SP S. Burke (26) Min
  • SP N. Schultz (23) Min
  • SP K. Bush (26) Min
  • SP J. Cannon (26) Min
  • RP J. Leasure (28) Min

Those comps don’t work well without Seager/Semien/Garcia and Carroll/Gallen/Kelly/Marte…

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Today's topic...

Which current MLB GM's would you take Chris Getz over?

Why?  Discuss.

Getz is far superior. I have seen the light. He started easy getting guys who couldn't hit but could field. He has now moved into the can't hit and can't field phase of the roster construction. Can't wait to see Zack Remillard at spring training.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

• C E. Quero (23) Min
  • 3B B. Ramos (24) Min
  • RF W. Veras (23) Min
  • INF L. Sosa (26) Min
  • 3B W. Kath (23) Min

• SP J. Eder (28) Min
  • SP C. Mena (23) Min
  • SP S. Burke (26) Min
  • SP N. Schultz (23) Min
  • SP K. Bush (26) Min
  • SP J. Cannon (26) Min
  • RP J. Leasure (28) Min

As long as we have a 100% success rate on developing prospects this works fine. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As long as we have a 100% success rate on developing prospects this works fine. 

I’m expecting about a 1/3, perhaps a few more pan out at varying levels of competency. Just stating the starting point after Getz took over.

There are a few other players I left off because I don’t think they’ll amount to much if they reach the majors, hoping one or two can surprise.

The key is pitching, can the current minor league group form a #1-3 or #2-4 portion of a good, not great, rotation, and can a Cease trade and/or others bolster those odds, plus anyone else they acquire internationally or the next two drafts.

I’m hoping the organization can also better develop younger pitchers over the next few years than what we have witnessed the past few.

On 12/27/2023 at 1:59 AM, South Side Hit Men said:

The Sox had one of the worst all time starts for the franchise last April. Best case scenario they will pleasantly surprise, play baseball which is at least entertaining and not riddled with errors and dumb approaches seen the past few years.

People keep coming out during nice weather and they can credibly start selling the future with Montgomery and a few unexpected surprises coming up or playing well to stay near the .500 mark. Need Getz to speak openly and honestly on what the plans are and deliver a thoughtful plan and the Sox can start gaining the trust of fans after sabotaging 2022-2023. 

Im going to Vegas in a few weeks, and want to put down $500 or $1,000 if I can find a book taking win bets for a White Sox over 63-64 win total. By then (two week trip will end late January) I’ll know what the haul will be if they end up trading Cease, and see if they make any more acquisitions in the interim.

The wild card is whether there will be a fire sale in July, and what depth they will have in place heading into it. I’m optimistic the Sox will land in the 70-72 win position, even with Cease traded and or a few trades in July. People tend to overreact based on the prior year, either positively (2022 outlook based on 2021) or negatively (2024 based on 2023). Granted 70 wins is still not a good season, but for the talent level it will be cromulent assuming a decent long term plan targeting contention in 2026.

I like your post and optimism, wish I could be that way, but I can't see the Sox pitching being good enough to avoid 105-110 losses. Even the games the Sox play well, they'll blow 80 to 90 percent of those in the final 2-4 innings IMO.

For me it's so different being a fan when I like none of the players unconditionally (Robert is pretty good, though) and I do not like the manager and am not a believer in the GM. I used to like some of the Sox.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

I like your post and optimism, wish I could be that way, but I can't see the Sox pitching being good enough to avoid 105-110 losses. Even the games the Sox play well, they'll blow 80 to 90 percent of those in the final 2-4 innings IMO.

For me it's so different being a fan when I like none of the players unconditionally (Robert is pretty good, though) and I do not like the manager and am not a believer in the GM. I used to like some of the Sox.

I believe they will bring a few more bullpen guys in, hopefully one more SP and a playable starting RFer before Spring Training. They can’t credibly preach defense and go to Sheets as the starting RFer, so I believe they will get someone fungible who can at least catch baseballs and not injure Robert like Eloy could/would.

I ignore the manager like most of the players do. I’m thinking he is gone by Memorial Day if they have a similar start to 2023. They only kept him because Jerry does not want to pay three guys to stay at home all year. I believe strongly there will be a new manager in 2025 unless there is a miraculous turnaround for both Pedro personally and as a team (75+ wins).

• Like 1