2024 Catch-All Thread

knightni

• 2 weeks later...

Probably only @caulfield12will really notice but cool teacher day. When I teach Shakespeare we always discuss how you will find plots to his plays in every movie. I talk about watching Hotel Transylvania when reading Romeo and Juliet. 

Today was an easy day before the holiday weekend and we read Sonnet 3 by Shakespeare.  Which by the way is not one of his greatest hits. The plan is I then play Dream On by Aerosmith, we chat a while about the similarities, and then I play classic rock for the rest of class.

As I was starting a mix one kid requested Tom Sawyer. I'm thinking great idea. Cranked it to 11, jammed a bit, but before I could move on to Baba O'Reilly the kid starts a discussion about the lyrics. Coolest ten minutes listening to him. By the time he finished everyone wanted to hear it again and were pulling up lyrics on their phones. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally deleted the Twitter / X app from my phone. I’ll miss Super 70s Sports the most, but X really is a cesspool. 
I’ll have to visit Soxtalk a little more now when I’m bored.

There’s a similar penchant for hijacking a thread in Soxtalk, but I won’t get the surprise nudity. At least I hope not.

23 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

You must have some kids raised by Gen X'rs. 

My daughter is often surprised when she knows about some older song that I introduced her to when she was younger and her friends/co-workers have never heard of it.

Some of it is the availability. It was tougher to explore different music when you had to go to the store and buy it, or catch it on the radio. 

On 1/27/2024 at 8:19 AM, Texsox said:

Some of it is the availability. It was tougher to explore different music when you had to go to the store and buy it, or catch it on the radio. 

That's true. I remember spending literal years searching for a single song that I heard on a movie once. I had a hard time even figuring out who the artist was until I got the VHS. Turns out there was no soundtrack ever produced or released for the movie.

Now I can just go to Youtube and listen to it whenever I want.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

That's true. I remember spending literal years searching for a single song that I heard on a movie once. I had a hard time even figuring out who the artist was until I got the VHS. Turns out there was no soundtrack ever produced or released for the movie.

Now I can just go to Youtube and listen to it whenever I want.

Oh man, I had so many songs I could never figure out the name of or who sang them. Just knew the beat and a snippet of lyrics here and there. It was impossible to track down, usually classic rock or oldies songs that weren’t played often. But then one day you’d catch it on the radio at the right time and get the artist and title.

On 1/26/2024 at 10:09 PM, Middle Buffalo said:

I finally deleted the Twitter / X app from my phone. I’ll miss Super 70s Sports the most, but X really is a cesspool. 
I’ll have to visit Soxtalk a little more now when I’m bored.

There’s a similar penchant for hijacking a thread in Soxtalk, but I won’t get the surprise nudity. At least I hope not.

I have an account, but I never post, and I only follow Sox/Bears/Notre dame writers, so I don't see much else.

15 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I have an account, but I never post, and I only follow Sox/Bears/Notre dame writers, so I don't see much else.

I followed mostly sports, too, but I’d be looking at something Bears related, and halfway through the comments there’d be an “influencer” asking what people thought of her “end zone.” It was a nice surprise sometimes, but that type of stuff started showing up too much. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 12:47 PM, SoxAce said:

Can't believe it was 44 years ago now. One of the most iconic moments not just in hockey, but sports history. 

That was the end of an era. I miss amateur athletics. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Anyone going somewhere cool for the eclipse?

My grandma lives on the south side of Indy, right in the path of totality. I may head down there, but only if it looks like it won't be too cloudy.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Anyone going somewhere cool for the eclipse?

I'm going to work. We adjusted the schedule and the entire school will be going outside. 

5 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

4.7 magnitude earthquake centered just west of Manhattan in New Jersey. No significant damage reported. Precautionary ground stops at the NY area airports.

I was actually at Seton Hall for a college visit with the oldest kid.  We noticed it and wondered what happened.  Felt like being next to a heavy freight train.  Looked it up and found it on the USGS page.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 3:44 PM, southsider2k5 said:

I was actually at Seton Hall for a college visit with the oldest kid.  We noticed it and wondered what happened.  Felt like being next to a heavy freight train.  Looked it up and found it on the USGS page.

God telling you this is the school?