2024 MiLB Catch All

DirtySox

Posted (edited)

19. Edgar Quero, C, White Sox

Team: Double-A Birmingham (Southern)

Why He’s Here: .286/.421/.929 (4-for-14), 4 R, 3 HR, 9 RBIs, 0 BB, 4 SO

The Scoop: The White Sox added Quero last summer when they dealt Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez to the Angels. This year. Quero is one of the youngest catchers at Double-A. The switch-hitter has popped all four of his home runs this season as a lefthanded batter, and he is one of three qualified Southern League hitters to compile a 1.000 OPS or better. Quero is Chicago’s catcher of the future, and he might be ready for his first extended MLB run next season. (ME)

Quero made the BA hot sheet.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/ranking-the-20-hottest-mlb-prospects-hot-sheet-4-16-24/

Edited by DirtySox

36 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

3 is wild, but I don't think top 10 is crazy. Looks like they could have Colson, Schultz, Thorpe, Quero, and Iriarte in their top 100.

I think low end of top 10 is defensible. Three is too high. Maybe top 5 is reasonable post draft?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

After 10 games, the Barons lead the Southern League in runs, HR (tied), and OBP. They are second in AVG, OPS, and SLG. Their team ERA (2.59) is top 3, and they have the second best run differential. 

Putting up those kinds of offensive numbers in Birmingham is pretty eye popping.

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Anything on Brooks Baldwin? His start to the year is eye opening and I am not able to find anything on him. 

He is Birmingham’s starting ss, and currently hitting over .400 with a an OPS around 1.000.

5 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Anything on Brooks Baldwin? His start to the year is eye opening and I am not able to find anything on him. 

High energy/makeup player, doesn't have a big carrying tool but is good at a little bit of everything and playable almost everywhere. Switch hitting line drive guy with a solid approach. He was doing well enough as a utility guy in Kanny, then took off after being promoted to WS as the everyday SS. The bat hasn't looked back since, even after another promotion to AA this year. Probably not a shortstop longterm, but the org is high on him overall.

13 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

High energy/makeup player, doesn't have a big carrying tool but is good at a little bit of everything and playable almost everywhere. Switch hitting line drive guy with a solid approach. He was doing well enough as a utility guy in Kanny, then took off after being promoted to WS as the everyday SS. The bat hasn't looked back since, even after another promotion to AA this year. Probably not a shortstop longterm, but the org is high on him overall.

Its really encouraging to see players drafted in the later rounds doing well.