3/2/24 Game Thread: Chicago White Sox @ Texas Rangers: 2:05 PM CST Radio: ESPN AM 1000

46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Quero should almost certainly be no where near the big leagues this year, and several of those guys (Ramos, Montgomery, Cannon, Bush) it would certainly be Rick Hahn type decision making to pencil them in as coming up to the big leagues in August when they haven’t played more than 1/2 a year at AA and few of them were successful there early.

Meh. The new normal is bring young players up and give them less than 40?days so you can start them at the beginning of next year and go for the extra draft pick. That’s what the Cubs did last year with PCA. I would be shocked if the Sox don’t do the same with at least Montgomery. I think Ramos has a good shot as well.  I agree Quero might be a stretch. If Gonzalez has fixed his swing, even he has a low but real possibility.

35 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Meh. The new normal is bring young players up and give them less than 40?days so you can start them at the beginning of next year and go for the extra draft pick. That’s what the Cubs did last year with PCA. I would be shocked if the Sox don’t do the same with at least Montgomery. I think Ramos has a good shot as well.  I agree Quero might be a stretch. If Gonzalez has fixed his swing, even he has a low but real possibility.

Montgomery had injury problems last year and hit .218 in 218 at bats at AA. Bringing him up late in the season not because he blows away the minors but because we have roster room and want the press coverage is exactly how Rick Hahn handled his guys.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Montgomery had injury problems last year and hit .218 in 218 at bats at AA. Bringing him up late in the season not because he blows away the minors but because we have roster room and want the press coverage is exactly how Rick Hahn handled his guys.

It's also not like the value of bringing him up at that point is worth the slight attendance boost.

One of the problems with the rebuild was miss timing the arrival of talent waves and veteran additions.

Barring unexpected FA spending, they're at least three years from being a legitimately competitive team. 

And that requires a lot of things to go right.

The other key points is that there's just no way JR will authorize the kind of extension KC gave to Witt, Jr., to Montgomery.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

#10 farm system ranking notwithstanding, I'm not super-excited about any of these guys - Montgomery included.

• Quin unpinned this topic