Sox speaking about bringing back Clevinger

42 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Don't think Greinke would have any interest in ending his career with the White Sox on a non-contender after all the drama over the years and some of the comments he has made (unless he was REALLY close with any/some of other ex-Royals staffers).

Likely would prefer to retire as a Royal, IMO.

9 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Greinke does not like Chicago.

My post never mentioned the Sox as being the team to build such a rotation.  I said that “a team with a very low payroll could…”.  Regardless, I’m not sure how picky Greinke can be at age 40 and after his performance last year if he truly wants to pitch.  He will have to wait for some rotation injuries a few months into the season.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Exactly. They might not want him now. Just wait until some contender is under-performing in July and has two long term injuries to their rotation.

Nobody wanted him last year either, regardless of the White Sox throwing in money. No one wants him now. The market is speaking clearly, you cannot get anything back for him.

There are far more tradeable options.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Nobody wanted him last year either, regardless of the White Sox throwing in money. No one wants him now. The market is speaking clearly, you cannot get anything back for him.

See Grandal...basically.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My point is that normal people don't want to take their kids to a place where they will be rooting for an abusive jerk. Some things are more important than meaningless innings pitched. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

My post never mentioned the Sox as being the team to build such a rotation.  I said that “a team with a very low payroll could…”.  Regardless, I’m not sure how picky Greinke can be at age 40 and after his performance last year if he truly wants to pitch.  He will have to wait for some rotation injuries a few months into the season.

Greinke isn't a normal guy though. He's really an oddball, and not desperate enough or the type of player to sign with anyone to just get a job.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

My point is that normal people don't want to take their kids to a place where they will be rooting for an abusive jerk. Some things are more important than meaningless innings pitched. 

You're completely right. This won't just affect the White Sox, it will affect any trade market for him. We saw it this year, he was pitching well enough for someone to absorb a portion of his salary, and no one wanted him at all. There might be a level of performance where this doesn't matter, where he's literally the best pitcher in the AL in the first half, but outside of that, if he's good but not great, at best you're lucky if someone will take him at all. You can't expect that giving him 100 innings in the first half is likely to strengthen your system, we have seen that in both the deadline and the offseason. Michael Lorenzen on an $8 million a year deal is more likely to be tradeable than Clevinger on a $2 million a year deal, and I am totally fine with that.

• Thanks 1

I dont' think becoming the Raiders of baseball for a few years is the worst look for this franchise. Both Clevinger and Bauer's cases have been highly scrutinized and investigated and MLB has cleared them. It's not ideal, but they're both pretty damn good and cheap. I would bet both of them would also like to stick it to the league. They might give max effort while they're here, just to prove a point. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 2
  • TLR 1

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Who cares, do it. I DGAF about his off field s%*# anymore, we just need all hands on deck for flip candidates. We're going to be nose blind to the stench of this team by June anyways so what's a little more odor?

I kind of feel the same way, Kobe Bryant raped a girl and was charged and is considered a legend and that is never talked about. Clevinger wasnt convicted so who knows what really happened. Bring them both on and we have a decent rotation.

• Hawk 1

The other thing about Bauer is that he's not a low effort pitcher. He's a baseball nerd that obsessed with the game. He's just got some kind of personality disorder I'm not qualified to diagnose. If he fails, it won't be because he's not trying. Based on the carefree profile we've seen from all of our players since the Hahn era began, he might actually be a positive influence. He's a total asshole, but he actually plays hard as hell and he's not scared to talk s%*#. He's also willing to absorb all the negative press the team will encounter. The more I think about it, the more I like it. 

• Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The other thing about Bauer is that he's not a low effort pitcher. He's a baseball nerd that obsessed with the game. He's just got some kind of personality disorder I'm not qualified to diagnose. If he fails, it won't be because he's not trying. Based on the carefree profile we've seen from all of our players since the Hahn era began, he might actually be a positive influence. He's a total asshole, but he actually plays hard as hell and he's not scared to talk s%*#. He's also willing to absorb all the negative press the team will encounter. The more I think about it, the more I like it. 

Hah, other people were thinking the same way as you, which he addressed years ago.

16 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I dont' think becoming the Raiders of baseball for a few years is the worst look for this franchise. Both Clevinger and Bauer's cases have been highly scrutinized and investigated and MLB has cleared them. It's not ideal, but they're both pretty damn good and cheap. I would bet both of them would also like to stick it to the league. They might give max effort while they're here, just to prove a point. 

Two better than average pitchers aren't worth the PR hit this franchise would take for their participation. I'm not sure why dudes keep bringing up Bauer. He choked a woman to passing out, then beat her when she was unconscious. He admitted this on a wiretap. Do you admire that? Addison Russell was a complete scumbag. He paid child support in quarters, he was such a prick. Clevenger is that much of a manipulative miscreant. How badly does your manhood need your team to rack up an extra couple of wins?

Taylor Swift going to Chiefs' games uncovered the untapped market of Dads and daughters mixing it up watching sports. Total fun. I'm not sure how you sell the taunting of underage girls about their looks and weight on Twitter to young girls who are self-conscious about their own image and bodies. 

Yes, becoming the Raiders of baseball would probably make me, a total JR apologist, lifelong Sox fan, dragger of nieces and nephews to baseball games, stop watching. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, pmb0928 said:

I kind of feel the same way, Kobe Bryant raped a girl and was charged and is considered a legend and that is never talked about. Clevinger wasnt convicted so who knows what really happened. Bring them both on and we have a decent rotation.

It's weird that jerk-off bro-dudes haven't gotten on the bandwagon of Luke Heimlich, yet. 

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Two better than average pitchers aren't worth the PR hit this franchise would take for their participation. I'm not sure why dudes keep bringing up Bauer. He choked a woman to passing out, then beat her when she was unconscious. He admitted this on a wiretap. Do you admire that? Addison Russell was a complete scumbag. He paid child support in quarters, he was such a prick. Clevenger is that much of a manipulative miscreant. How badly does your manhood need your team to rack up an extra couple of wins?

Taylor Swift going to Chiefs' games uncovered the untapped market of Dads and daughters mixing it up watching sports. Total fun. I'm not sure how you sell the taunting of underage girls about their looks and weight on Twitter to young girls who are self-conscious about their own image and bodies. 

Yes, becoming the Raiders of baseball would probably make me, a total JR apologist, lifelong Sox fan, dragger of nieces and nephews to baseball games, stop watching. 

I can mentally excuse Hahn being an idiot and not doing a quality background check last year. I'm not sure its true, but that's how they presented it.

Signing one of these guys willingly would make me seriously consider whether that's it, that they think I'm not the kind of fan they want, and other people I consider toxic are their real market.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Bauer had consensual, fetishized sex with a few different women. He was investigated by MLB, the police and the DA. Ultimately, he was cleared. He's a really weird guy. He's a defiant asshole, but he's also fairly likable. If you watch his Youtube channel, he does a lot for kids and really loves the game. I'm not convinced he's a bad dude. I think he's a guy that really likes to challenge convention. 

Clevinger seems like a guy that likes to party and was set up by his ex. He's been under more scrutiny than any player I can remember. He might be dumb. He might be an asshole, but I'm also not convinced he's a bad guy. He was also cleared by the police, DA and MLB. 

Baseball has been littered with really bad people that did terrible things. Bauer and Clevinger have been under investigation for half a decade and they're cleared to play. What else can they do? 

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Bauer had consensual, fetishized sex with a few different women. He was investigated by MLB, the police and the DA. Ultimately, he was cleared. He's a really weird guy. He's a defiant asshole, but he's also fairly likable.

You know who else was likable? Ted Bundy. John Gacy was, too, I'm told. 

Bauer does a lot for kids. Like mocks underage girls online for their weight and looks. Seriously, WTF is your problem? Why aren't you advocating for Luke Heimlich? You know, the dude who pled guilty for molesting his niece? I hear he's a nice guy, too. Real cheap. 

Yes, baseball has been littered by bad people. Like Marty Bergen. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Bergen_(baseball)#:~:text=Bergen appeared to have a,children before dying by suicide.

You're not convinced that Clevenger is a bad guy? Make sure you put that on your Tinder bio. 

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You know who else was likable? Ted Bundy. John Gacy was, too, I'm told. 

Bauer does a lot for kids. Like mocks underage girls online for their weight and looks. Seriously, WTF is your problem? Why aren't you advocating for Luke Heimlich? You know, the dude who pled guilty for molesting his niece? I hear he's a nice guy, too. Real cheap. 

Yes, baseball has been littered by bad people. Like Marty Bergen. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Bergen_(baseball)#:~:text=Bergen appeared to have a,children before dying by suicide.

You're not convinced that Clevenger is a bad guy? Make sure you put that on your Tinder bio. 

If you're going to compare Clevenger and Bauer to Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy, there's really no point in us having any type of conversation. Clevenger doesn't fit that profile at all. Like, not even a little bit. From what I know, that worst thing he's ever done was breaking covid protocol to do blow with a few girls. As a kid in his early 20's, that's pretty normal. Irresponsible? Absolutely, but he's an idiot baseball player with a lot of money and no education. That doesn't make him a psychopath. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I can mentally excuse Hahn being an idiot and not doing a quality background check last year. I'm not sure its true, but that's how they presented it.

Signing one of these guys willingly would make me seriously consider whether that's it, that they think I'm not the kind of fan they want, and other people I consider toxic are their real market.

I think Wil Cordero was the first WTF! dude in my White sox life, even though, Jungle Jim Rivera (I think, Liptak can help here) was an accused rapist when Bill Veeck signed him and made excuses for him. 

Baseball's fun. I don't want to root for dudes, and bring the youngin's in my family out to spend time rooting for, who have raped, strangled, abused, shot at, beat up,  or abandoned the women in their life. I get it. You're rock stars. The p*ssy's being thrown at you. Learn how to deal with it. People are bringing their kids to watch you and cheer for you. Into the rough stuff? Be real careful. You got a multi-million dollar career floating on that. 

The insecure, barn-yard, rat-soup-eatin', MFin' bro-dudes who feel the need to root for that sh*t because it somehow makes them feel stronger, I don't even know how to respond to that. Get help!

The Bauer story is a weird one.  If you read all the texts between the two, she was apparently into BDSM, as was Bauer.  He was stupid to ever go through with it, but it seemed to be mutual from the texts, but he may have gone overboard.  Later, she argued that it wasn’t mutual at all, even though the texts show otherwise.  There seemed to be some other motive for her to go after him in my opinion, but she dropped the lawsuit after a picture was provided showing her with no bruises on her face and laying in bed with Bauer smiling a day after the incident allegedly took place.  She didn’t receive any money from Bauer due to dropping her lawsuit against him; however, she still received $300K from her insurance company.  Also, if you research the legality of BDSM encounters, it is apparently one massive legal grey area.

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

If you're going to compare Clevenger and Bauer to Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy, there's really no point in us having any type of conversation. Clevenger doesn't fit that profile at all. Like, not even a little bit. From what I know, that worst thing he's ever done was breaking covid protocol to do blow with a few girls. As a kid in his early 20's, that's pretty normal. Irresponsible? Absolutely, but he's an idiot baseball player with a lot of money and no education. That doesn't make him a psychopath. 

No, Taylor St, there's a whole lot more. 

I'm glad that you cut bait on Bauer at bundy and gacy. There's hope. You should really look into clevenger's baby mama fights. How he uses his millions to sue them for custody, then finds another gf to be nanny. Totally f*cked up situation. I get it. You don't want to know about his personal life. Maybe you should consider the fact that no baseball teams want to deal with his special brand of idiocy. 

You know? Michael Kopech's a head case. Let's his problems get into his game, or something else. Teams will line up to fix him. You know why? He never choked a woman to passing out, then beat her when unconscious, and then admitted to all of that on a police wiretap. He doesn't have a whole story testified to, under oath, of how he abused his baby mama, her child, locked her out of her living space, sued her for custody, etc. Do you see the pattern? A guy who can't throw strikes but is a fundamentally okay human being will get a million chances. An a-hole who is a predator and an abuser will find his opportunities dry up pretty quickly in a very family-oriented business. 

I don't have kids. The best way to hang with my nieces and nephews and their kids is at the ball park. I really don't want to encourage the kids in my life to root for that guy who choked a women, beat her, then sued her. I don't want their parents to have to explain that in 20 years. Or for their memories of me to be of us cheering on a rapist. That's really going to be a problem in 20 years. 

You may have absolved these guys. That's fine. Normal people don't want that in their "consumer" lives. Maybe I'm "woke". I don't want to explain to a 9 year old girl why rape or abuse is okay because some dude throws strikes. 

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Bauer story is a weird one.  If you read all the texts between the two, she was apparently into BDSM, as was Bauer.  He was stupid to ever go through with it, but it seemed to be mutual from the texts, but he may have gone overboard.  Later, she argued that it wasn’t mutual at all, even though the texts show otherwise.  There seemed to be some other motive for her to go after him in my opinion, but she dropped the lawsuit after a picture was provided showing her with no bruises on her face and laying in bed with Bauer smiling a day after the incident allegedly took place.  She didn’t receive any money from Bauer due to dropping her lawsuit against him; however, she still received $300K from her insurance company.  Also, if you research the legality of BDSM encounters, it is apparently one massive legal grey area.

I was going to write a post about a star baseball player being into some totally legal, seemingly gross sexual thing that is stigmatized, but not in any way wrong, like ... I don't know. 

You realize that next to no baseball players have come out as gay? Even though maybe ... 5% are probably gay? A White sox minor leaguer came out in the last year. Totally cool. Nothing wrong. No major leaguer has come out in any major sport. Why should dudes who like to abuse, choke and beat up women get a special "oh, it's cool and consensual" pass from society? 

The gay people in my life are actually pretty boring and moral. They're the ones on the block captain teams. YET! Here we are, making excuses for dudes who fetishize enslaving and abusing women. 

I think I'd much rather root for Erick Fedde's 1.54 WHIP than Trevor Bauer's cat-tail whip. 

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

No, Taylor St, there's a whole lot more. 

I'm glad that you cut bait on Bauer at bundy and gacy. There's hope. You should really look into clevenger's baby mama fights. How he uses his millions to sue them for custody, then finds another gf to be nanny. Totally f*cked up situation. I get it. You don't want to know about his personal life. Maybe you should consider the fact that no baseball teams want to deal with his special brand of idiocy. 

You know? Michael Kopech's a head case. Let's his problems get into his game, or something else. Teams will line up to fix him. You know why? He never choked a woman to passing out, then beat her when unconscious, and then admitted to all of that on a police wiretap. He doesn't have a whole story testified to, under oath, of how he abused his baby mama, her child, locked her out of her living space, sued her for custody, etc. Do you see the pattern? A guy who can't throw strikes but is a fundamentally okay human being will get a million chances. An a-hole who is a predator and an abuser will find his opportunities dry up pretty quickly in a very family-oriented business. 

I don't have kids. The best way to hang with my nieces and nephews and their kids is at the ball park. I really don't want to encourage the kids in my life to root for that guy who choked a women, beat her, then sued her. I don't want their parents to have to explain that in 20 years. Or for their memories of me to be of us cheering on a rapist. That's really going to be a problem in 20 years. 

You may have absolved these guys. That's fine. Normal people don't want that in their "consumer" lives. Maybe I'm "woke". I don't want to explain to a 9 year old girl why rape or abuse is okay because some dude throws strikes. 

I know nothing about Bauer or Clevinger's politics. Considering they're baseball players, I assume the worst. With that said, everything that's been verified about both Bauer and Clevinger shows they're dumb kids that like to party and have made some bad decisions. That evidence has also shown both were set up. MLB would absolutely love to nail both of them. They cost Bauer hundreds of millions. If there was any real evidence that proved they were abusers, neither would ever be eligible again. From what I can tell, Bauer comes off like a guy that wants to challenge convention at every opportunity and Clevinger is just kind of dumb. 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I was going to write a post about a star baseball player being into some totally legal, seemingly gross sexual thing that is stigmatized, but not in any way wrong, like ... I don't know. 

You realize that next to no baseball players have come out as gay? Even though maybe ... 5% are probably gay? A White sox minor leaguer came out in the last year. Totally cool. Nothing wrong. No major leaguer has come out in any major sport. Why should dudes who like to abuse, choke and beat up women get a special "oh, it's cool and consensual" pass from society? 

The gay people in my life are actually pretty boring and moral. They're the ones on the block captain teams. YET! Here we are, making excuses for dudes who fetishize enslaving and abusing women. 

I think I'd much rather root for Erick Fedde's 1.54 WHIP than Trevor Bauer's cat-tail whip. 

You realize women have agency to have sex in any way they deem fit, right? 

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I know nothing about Bauer or Clevinger's politics. Considering they're baseball players, I assume the worst. With that said, everything that's been verified about both Bauer and Clevinger shows they're dumb kids that like to party and have made some bad decisions. That evidence has also shown both were set up. MLB would absolutely love to nail both of them. They cost Bauer hundreds of millions. If there was any real evidence that proved they were abusers, neither would ever be eligible again. From what I can tell, Bauer comes off like a guy that wants to challenge convention at every opportunity and Clevinger is just kind of dumb. 

WTF does any of this mean? How did "rape" and "abuse" become "politics"? You do understand that most of baseball's population identifies as "Christian", right? 

Set up? There was a famous baseball groupie who was asked, in the 80's, which players were true to their wives. She said Dale Murphy, and that was all she could come up with. One guy out of 700+. That probably holds true to today, 700 millionaires, having sex on the road, doing all sorts of kinks, but only two guys are called out? Explain that to me.

The people on this site love data.

So many good ole' boys. So many guys who have been worshipped from little league on. Woman everywhere. But only "2" guys were set up? 

How does that happen? Do you think these are the only two guys in the game who are abusive? Do you not think there are dozens of "men's rights" guys all over the game who also love the rough stuff, but somehow aren't "set up"? 

These are millionaires. With agents. With teams coaching these guys on protocol. Explain this to me.