3/23/24 Game Thread: Seattle at Chicago White Sox 3:05PM CDT; Radio: ESPN1000 & TV: No Broadcast

48 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It's going to be ridiculous to see the White Sox not even consider an extension with Montgomery like the Royals just did with Witt Jr., unless he ends up playing 1B somehow.

Schultz on the other hand...

I would rather extend Robert Jr.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I would rather extend Robert Jr.

That's going to cost about 1/2 what the Rays are willing to devote to their new public stadium...$325 million (out of $650 million), give or take.

Which would still be the highest contribution by a major League team in the history of stadium building since the early 90s.

If JR won't even commit it to a stadium that will directly benefit him and his heirs, he's certainly not going to commit it to a player who would cost almost 5x the Benintendi payout...one that would eventually be going into his 30s.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Scott Boras is also his agent so any thought to extend him is already fucked.

At some point it would be nice to have a team where paying for this type of player made sense, but just in general the comment was that they’d rather extend Robert than Cease. Right now Cease has been healthy since he was called up while Robert has had one major surgery and at least one minor injury costing him several weeks over the last 3 seasons. If I had to gamble on who would be more likely to contribute at age 33, for now wouldn’t Cease be the obvious answer?

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At some point it would be nice to have a team where paying for this type of player made sense, but just in general the comment was that they’d rather extend Robert than Cease. Right now Cease has been healthy since he was called up while Robert has had one major surgery and at least one minor injury costing him several weeks over the last 3 seasons. If I had to gamble on who would be more likely to contribute at age 33, for now wouldn’t Cease be the obvious answer?

No, the comment was that he’d rather extend Robert than Colson.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ah Ty. Colson hasn’t been healthy yet either I guess.

You’re right, eventually they would have to extend a star player that is represented by Robert. But I feel like if you could try to extend Colson on a team friendly deal (that buys out a year or two of free agency), maybe next offseason, go for it. 

Edited by Bob Sacamano