White Sox acquire Corey Julks from HOU for RHP Luis Rodriguez, option to AAA, recall Dom Fletcher, Ortega DFA'd

Fangraphs:

18. Corey Julks, RF

Drafted: 8th Round, 2017 from Houston (HOU)
Age 27.3 Height 6′ 1″ Weight 185 Bat / Thr R / R FV 40
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
40/40 55/55 45/50 50/50 40/40 60

Houston really let Julks air out at High-A through about 150 games combined in 2018 and 2019, so when played resumed in 2021, he was an old-for-the-level guy at Double-A who had an over-the-fence power breakout, nearly doubling his career home run total by yanking out 14 bombs. Julks followed that up with a 31-homer campaign with Triple-A Sugar Land in 2022, but his .270/.351/.503 line was only good for a 108 wRC+ in the hitter-friendly PCL. He played his way onto the big league roster during the spring of 2023, and even though the Astros’ right-handed redundancy makes his presence there tenuous, Julks should get to enough power to play a small, short-side platoon role in an outfield corner throughout his career.

His swing is geared to pull in the extreme, and Julks is great at snatching inner third fastballs even though his leg kick is big and elaborate. He’s going to pepper the Crawford Boxes with lots of hard contact — so many of his 2022 homers were tucked into the left field corner. As you might guess because he’s so pull-heavy, Julks tends to swing inside a lot of sliders. He has the athletic ability to bend at the waist, dive to the outer part of the plate and power the ball the other way, but it’s rare for him to stay on sliders long enough to do that. You’ll see oppo pop more often on middle-away fastballs. Though not an especially good defender, Julks has a strong arm. He’s a nice complement to a lefty-hitting platoon partner of some kind, but the Astros don’t really have that on their active roster.

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Fangraphs:

18. Corey Julks, RF

Drafted: 8th Round, 2017 from Houston (HOU)
Age 27.3 Height 6′ 1″ Weight 185 Bat / Thr R / R FV 40
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
40/40 55/55 45/50 50/50 40/40 60

Houston really let Julks air out at High-A through about 150 games combined in 2018 and 2019, so when played resumed in 2021, he was an old-for-the-level guy at Double-A who had an over-the-fence power breakout, nearly doubling his career home run total by yanking out 14 bombs. Julks followed that up with a 31-homer campaign with Triple-A Sugar Land in 2022, but his .270/.351/.503 line was only good for a 108 wRC+ in the hitter-friendly PCL. He played his way onto the big league roster during the spring of 2023, and even though the Astros’ right-handed redundancy makes his presence there tenuous, Julks should get to enough power to play a small, short-side platoon role in an outfield corner throughout his career.

His swing is geared to pull in the extreme, and Julks is great at snatching inner third fastballs even though his leg kick is big and elaborate. He’s going to pepper the Crawford Boxes with lots of hard contact — so many of his 2022 homers were tucked into the left field corner. As you might guess because he’s so pull-heavy, Julks tends to swing inside a lot of sliders. He has the athletic ability to bend at the waist, dive to the outer part of the plate and power the ball the other way, but it’s rare for him to stay on sliders long enough to do that. You’ll see oppo pop more often on middle-away fastballs. Though not an especially good defender, Julks has a strong arm. He’s a nice complement to a lefty-hitting platoon partner of some kind, but the Astros don’t really have that on their active roster.

Not a good defender. Old rookie. PCL inflated stats.

Getz has a type.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Trading a 20 year old with minimal minor league experience in the states for a 28 year old AAAA player is just organizational malpractice. 

Who gives a f***?

Do you have actual opinions about Luis Rodriguez or are you just looking at their birthdays?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Who gives a f***?

Do you have actual opinions about Luis Rodriguez or are you just looking at their birthdays?

We have a troubling trend of adding guys who will age into their 30s before those younger 20ish counterparts can even be dreamed on like Mena or this guy.

We already KNOW they are certainly not going to be members of the next White Sox playoff team...so what's the point beyond repairing this year's major league record on the fringes?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 3
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Has a Top 30 number near his name of some sort...well, he can't be any worse than Ortega and has more pop I guess.

Astros have one of the worst systems in the league.

Just now, WestEddy said:

I'm just wondering if these commenters have "Chris Getz raped and killed my wife" tattooed on their chests. 

Do you have "Chris Getz" inside a heart like a stereotypical MOM tattoo on your ass?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

We have a troubling trend of adding guys who will age into their 30s before those younger 20ish counterparts can even be dreamed on like Mena or this guy.

We already KNOW they are certainly not going to be members of the next White Sox playoff team...so what's the point beyond repairing this year's major league record on the fringes?

This x1 billion

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Who gives a f***?

Just based on their birthdays alone it is organizational malpractice. 

I don't know anything about Luis Rodriguez but I don't have to in order to understand it's an asinine move. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

This is such a insignificant trade that I don't care.  I wont pretend that I knew who either Julks or Rodriguez were yesterday but I am pretty sure neither one will be anything for any team. 

I'll trust the guys who see Rodriguez pitch daily over randoms at their work computer googling "Luis Rodriguez age."  

I'll also assume that if getting rid of Luis Rodriguez was such a horrible move that is a "fireable offense", we could have gotten something better than Corey Julks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Rodriguez - from Fangraphs:

Rodriguez is a 20-year-old, 6-foot-2 righty who dominated the 2023 DSL with an 88-90 mph fastball and an above-average curveball.

He's going to hit 92 twice in his next outing and half the board will start telling everyone the Astros unlocked him and he throws mid to upper-90s now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chris Getz was an awesome Farm Director.  He had a hand in bringing along future stars such as Jose Rodriguez and Luis Rodriguez.  Too bad he's the worst GM in the league and is getting rid of all this super elite talent.  

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Just based on their birthdays alone it is organizational malpractice. 

I don't know anything about Luis Rodriguez but I don't have to in order to understand it's an asinine move. 

We should sign 15 guys who can't legally drink from College of Dupage baseball team and package them for Ohtani + cash.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Chris Getz was an awesome Farm Director.  He had a hand in bringing along future stars such as Jose Rodriguez and Luis Rodriguez.  Too bad he's the worst GM in the league and is getting rid of all this super elite talent.  

Rather see them hold onto those younger guys on the off chance something clicks than these guys who will be DFA’d in 2 weeks tops.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm just wondering if these commenters have "Chris Getz raped and killed my wife" tattooed on their chests. 

This is absolutely disgusting and a complete lack of decency and judgment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1