White Sox acquire Corey Julks from HOU for RHP Luis Rodriguez, option to AAA, recall Dom Fletcher, Ortega DFA'd

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You're thought process is very sound.

The thinking is I suppose that we already know Julks is , OF depth on a bad team but people rather dream Rodriguez can be a  competent if not great MLB pitcher just because he's young and not fully developed yet.

You make those type of trades too often and you give away a Tatis, Jr. So, yes ,panic sets in about the process rather than the trade itself.

Right, it's not about the players themselves and what the younger guys have done to this point. It's more about the process.

At the end of the day, this trade will have no impact for either team.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Better be careful Jimmy  the tides of rebellion are rising against Getz sympathizers.

I'm seeing some McCarthyism 1950s vibes here.

The Saint strikes again

These two posts this close to each other is hilarious. 

Better be careful Jimmy  the tides of rebellion are rising against Getz sympathizers.

I'm seeing some McCarthyism 1950s vibes here.

Well, I hate gossip but I heard Getzy was seen wearing a Make The White Sox Great Again cap the other day

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We'll hear of Rodriguez again. He'll put together a good 3 game sample size in A ball and We ll get an I told you so like we got when Matthew  Thompson had a small SS run with the Cubs AA team as evidence the Cubs MiL coaches were better  than the Sox.

I like how you act like it’s a surprise that the Cubs or any other team would likely have better farm system coaches and instructors than the Sox.  Yes, our owner, who cheaps out in every other way possible might not employ the best staff in the minors?  Shocking, I know.  And we all know that the Sox farm system spits out finished and ready major league players left and right.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

51 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I like how you act like it’s a surprise that the Cubs or any other team would likely have better farm system coaches and instructors than the Sox.  Yes, our owner, who cheaps out in every other way possible might not employ the best staff in the minors?  Shocking, I know.  And we all know that the Sox farm system spits out finished and ready major league players left and right.

I act surprised when posters pretend they have inside knowledge of things they have no clue about.

In general the Sox lag behind other teams in player development but you cannot pinpoint real solid reasons why except Reinsdorf which has always been my stance.

I don't go around saying that a Sox prospect that has been in our system for years who gets traded to another franchise and performs ok for 3 games is proof positive that one organization has better coaches than another.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Trading a young prospect for a AAAA player.  

Hard to understand.

Back in the days when men were men, 20 year olds who were already relegated to the bullpen at low A weren’t even considered prospects.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You're thought process is very sound.

The thinking is I suppose that we already know Julks is , OF depth on a bad team but people rather dream Rodriguez can be a  competent if not great MLB pitcher just because he's young and not fully developed yet.

You make those type of trades too often and you give away a Tatis, Jr. So, yes ,panic sets in about the process rather than the trade itself.

There are obvious differences between Rodriguez (whose first name I’ve already forgotten) and Fernando Tatis Jr. Frankly, between 20-year-old pitchers and position players. Someone posted an article here the other day that’s featured the quote “trade them [pitchers] before they break”. Also I don’t totally see what “the process” is that you refer to. Trading young players for older ones? That’s most trades. 

• Like 1

Rodriguez isn't Mena. Let's get that out of the way now. And I'm shocked certain people here are up in arms considering they are so hoopla about velocity and this kid only throws 88-90.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nrockway said:

There are obvious differences between Rodriguez (whose first name I’ve already forgotten) and Fernando Tatis Jr. Frankly, between 20-year-old pitchers and position players. Someone posted an article here the other day that’s featured the quote “trade them [pitchers] before they break”. Also I don’t totally see what “the process” is that you refer to. Trading young players for older ones? That’s most trades. 

That's most trades under the KW 2000-2012 model...even then, he had lots of solid trades like Carlos Quentin/Carter and picked up so many under the radar guys like Thornton, Marte, Jenks, Sergio Santos, de Aza, etc.

1 hour ago, 4OCS said:

Back in the days when men were men, 20 year olds who were already relegated to the bullpen at low A weren’t even considered prospects.

Good point. 

But this is the White Sox organization, where bullpen work is often a promotion, not a relegation   where a large part of free agent resources has been spent on relievers; where given the choice between an option pickup for a starter in his prime coming off an ace-level season or an aging closer, the Sox chose the aging closer; and the org that put what appears to be an ace-level starter into middle relief for his first 3 seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Rodriguez isn't Mena. Let's get that out of the way now. And I'm shocked certain people here are up in arms considering they are so hoopla about velocity and this kid only throws 88-90.

Has anyone even said anything about losing this specific player? Seems we’re all more upset we keep dumping prospects for AAAA players with no ceilings or future here. 

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I act surprised when posters pretend they have inside knowledge of things they have no clue about.

In general the Sox lag behind other teams in player development but you cannot pinpoint real solid reasons why except Reinsdorf which has always been my stance.

I don't go around saying that a Sox prospect that has been in our system for years who gets traded to another franchise and performs ok for 3 games is proof positive that one organization has better coaches than another.

I’ve seen you mention this a few times now and I think it’s valid to bring up that Thompson is now through 23 innings with the Cubs and has a 3.50 ERA while significantly dropping his whip and striking out over 1 per inning. That sample size continues to grow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Good point. 

But this is the White Sox organization, where bullpen work is often a promotion, not a relegation   where a large part of free agent resources has been spent on relievers; where given the choice between an option pickup for a starter in his prime coming off an ace-level season or an aging closer, the Sox chose the aging closer; and the org that put what appears to be an ace-level starter into middle relief for his first 3 seasons.

Yeah but guys like Hendriks, Graveman and Joe Kelly were starters in the minors. Guys who are middle relievers already at A ball typically never sniff the majors whereas Julk played in 93 games in the majors for a ninety win team last year

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Yeah but guys like Hendriks, Graveman and Joe Kelly were starters in the minors. Guys who are middle relievers already at A ball typically never sniff the majors whereas Julk played in 93 games in the majors for a ninety win team last year

I hope it works out.  Sure could use a good outfielder.
While I haven't been awed by Getz' moves, I want to go easy on him, at least for now, after suffering 10 years of Hahn and his dog-and-pony show.

Edited by GreenSox

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, T R U said:

I’ve seen you mention this a few times now and I think it’s valid to bring up that Thompson is now through 23 innings with the Cubs and has a 3.50 ERA while significantly dropping his whip and striking out over 1 per inning. That sample size continues to grow. 

I guess I'd have to ask you if at any point in Thompson's career with the Sox if he had similar or better stats in any 23 inning sample size.

I'd also ask if you anticipate that if he continues to walk 13 batters every 23 innings if you think that ERA is sustainable.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I guess I'd have to ask you if at any point in Thompson's career with the Sox if he had similar or better stats in any 23 inning sample size.

I'd also ask if you anticipate that if he continues to walk 13 batters every 23 innings if you think that ERA is sustainable.

Yeah I’m not looking into that, I don’t really care. Just pointing out that as of today he’s doing better in a different organization than he did last year at the same level with our team. We’ll see what it looks like in a few months. 

23 minutes ago, T R U said:

Has anyone even said anything about losing this specific player? Seems we’re all more upset we keep dumping prospects for AAAA players with no ceilings or future here. 

The players we're calling "prospects" - all teams dump them every day of the season. He's most likely a guy who would have been cut once this year's draftees and FA signings hit the complex in July/August. Or he'd be dropped next week as some other kid recovers from his injury, and is ready to start pitching again. 

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

Yeah I’m not looking into that, I don’t really care. Just pointing out that as of today he’s doing better in a different organization than he did last year at the same level with our team. We’ll see what it looks like in a few months. 

Then why  bother to stick up for him in the 1st place if all you have to offer is a  let's wait for a bigger sample size, which was kind of my point.

You can't draw any conclusions on what a small sample tells you about the pitcher and certainly not about the coaches.

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Then why  bother to stick up for him in the 1st place if all you have to offer is a  let's wait for a bigger sample size, which was kind of my point.

You can't draw any conclusions on what a small sample tells you about the pitcher and certainly not about the coaches.

I'm old enough to remember the internet explosion when the Sox traded Jake Peter for somebody. Or released AA pitcher Jordan Guerrero. The same people who scream that minor league depth is soooooooo important that we have to hold onto these guys until they sign up for AARP are the same ones posting laughing emojis when you mention that we're starting to amass some minor league depth. 

They're screeching points. Nothing more. New Coke. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

I'm old enough to remember the internet explosion when the Sox traded Jake Peter for somebody. Or released AA pitcher Jordan Guerrero. The same people who scream that minor league depth is soooooooo important that we have to hold onto these guys until they sign up for AARP are the same ones posting laughing emojis when you mention that we're starting to amass some minor league depth. 

They're screeching points. Nothing more. New Coke. 

I haven’t even participated in this argument, but once again you’re making up your own false narratives to attack posters you view as being anti Getz.  Are you actually arguing minor league depth is not important?  Or are you suggesting 23 year old Matthew is somehow a super old prospect?  Because certainly we could have slotted Thompson in the AA bullpen and evaluated how he looked as a reliever.  The idea we’re so overloaded with talent in our farm system that Thompson would have otherwise needed to be dumped is absolutely ludicrous.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I haven’t even participated in this argument, but once again you’re making up your own false narratives to attack posters you view as being anti Getz.  Are you actually arguing minor league depth is not important?  Or are you suggesting 23 year old Matthew is somehow a super old prospect?  Because certainly we could have slotted Thompson in the AA bullpen and evaluated how he looked as a reliever.  The idea we’re so overloaded with talent in our farm system that Thompson would have otherwise needed to be dumped is absolutely ludicrous.

These things actually happened. Ask your mom. 

How in the world would you get that I'm arguing that minor league depth is not important? That's a strawman argument. You do realize that there is a cap on how many minor leaguers a team can have now, right? 

There's a whole bunch of people who scream and cry when anybody's DFAed or traded, or whatnot, and they post the first couple of starts these players make after leaving the Sox system. But, it's been strangely silent for people criticizing the Oakland organization for DFAing Alex Speas after they claimed him from the Sox. 

You're just piling on. I reallly don't understand what you're doing with this comment.