Kelvin Escobar

DBAHO

Here's the article from the Boston Herald, and it ain't written by Gammons so it may actually be credible.  :lol:

Escobar Article

Greenberg said seven teams have contacted Escobar. The others are the White Sox, Mets, Angels, Devil Rays, Phillies and Blue Jays, who have already made a two-year offer.

Hmmmm .... You beat to this one. Was just going to post that quote.

I have followed his career ever since I got his rookie card when I was 10 or maybe a little younger, and this is the first year that I think the card may actually have some value :lol:

Escobar intrigues me, he was a stud starting prospect. He had little control and was sent to the bullpen. He was not successful as a closer so he was moved back to the rotation. He showed flashes of brilliance in the rotation last year.

I think he is intriguing, and if we can sign him for a reasonable price I think it would be a good pick up. Durability and control worry me with him though.

I wouldn't mind us signing Escobar at all.  He pitched pretty well last year for Toronto.  He could come in and be a good 4th-5th(depending on if we make a trade) starter.

If Escobar comes to pitch for us, he will be the best pitcher (stuff-wise) in this rotation.

He may start the season as a 4th or 5th starter, but I think he would move up the chain quickly. If he stays healthy and maintains the decent control he showed last season he is a 1 or 2 type guy.

Id love Escobar on the Sox but not to be pessimistic or ope-killing, 7 other teams are interested, pretty much ALL with more dough than the Sox. BUT, his slider is awesome and I think he would go straight to the 3rd starter and make Garland 4th.

Now Escobar is a guy I'd really like to get. Considering what Ponson wants, I like Escobar in a similar fashion and he really came into a zone when he became a full time starter last season. Would be a great pickup, depending on what he's asking.

I think the Sox are gonna add two quality starters and will be moving payroll by moving Koch, Konerko and either Lee or Ordonez.

Your right chisox I think the sox will add 2 quality pitchers because kw will free up some payroll with some trades, i see them keeping clee and valentin but i do see them dumping magglio possibly for percival and a top prospect. Konerko could go to really anyone that will take his salary for a decent player and some prospects also. Koch will be dealt but the sox might have to eat some of his 6.5 mil salary maybe say 2 mil or so. With that money what maggs makes 14.2. konerko 8.5 and koch 4.5 (counting the 2 mil the sox will pay) and with the aquesition of percival i think 4 mil and say a decent player say 2 mil the sox will have say roughly 20 mil saved to spend on some people. I see 2 pitchers maybe escobar 6 mil and ponson 8 maybe that leaves about 6 mil left give or take. well the chance of this happening is very slim but hey you can dream right?

From what I saw in the '03 season...Escobar kept getting better and better from start to start in the 2nd half of last season. I think he'd be a great addition to the White Sox. He would definitely be cheaper than Colon and his twin Ponson.

Anyone that has ESPN Insider, is there any word on what's going on with Miguel Batista? I think he'd be a sleeper for a lot of teams right now.

Now that I think of it....Escobar could be the Loaiza of 2004. If the Sox could land him, we'd be in pretty good shape I'd have to think. Guy that had great stuff and could just bust out and become a stud.

And if he doesn't work as a starter, I think he'd be a hell of a middle reliever/setup guy.

Escobar's numbers as a starter: 12-8 (26 starts), 3.92 ERA.

Not bad at all, but i think i read somewhere he's looking for something in the 15M/3 Year range. If the Sox's can get rid of Jose it could make financial sense.

That'd be worth it IMO. I do agree though. Maybe not necessarily getting rid of Jose(because he does not have an incredibly high value and because there are not many good SS's available). We get rid of Maggs, and it makes a little bit of sense.

A quick scouting report on Escobar from ESPN/Stats, Inc. :

He throws a two-seam and four-seam fastball (93-97 MPH), a splitter at 88 MPH and a curve in the mid-80s. Last season, he added an 88-90 MPH cutter. Can be dominant at times. However, concentration continues to be Escobar's greatest challenge. He tends to lapse into mechanical faults in the midst of an outing, leading to a sudden and frustrating loss of control. What results is the base on balls, and all too often a home run. That said, he did show signs of overcoming a nasty habit of slowing his pace with runners aboard. Escobar is very quick off the mound. He gets to batted balls easily and covers first base well. His move to first is above average, which helps him to keep runners honest. He starts to tire after 90-100 pitches.

A quick scouting report on Escobar from ESPN/Stats, Inc. :

He throws a two-seam and four-seam fastball (93-97 MPH), a splitter at 88 MPH and a curve in the mid-80s. Last season, he added an 88-90 MPH cutter. Can be dominant at times.  However, concentration continues to be Escobar's greatest challenge. He tends to lapse into mechanical faults in the midst of an outing, leading to a sudden and frustrating loss of control. What results is the base on balls, and all too often a home run. That said, he did show signs of overcoming a nasty habit of slowing his pace with runners aboard.  Escobar is very quick off the mound. He gets to batted balls easily and covers first base well. His move to first is above average, which helps him to keep runners honest.  He starts to tire after 90-100 pitches.

He starts to tire in after 90-100 pitches.

Man Perfect for a Manuel Managed team..

I think Coop can do a lot with this Guy. And if worse comes to worse he can close too