Sox want Castillo

Loaiza21

I hope you forgot the green.

Willie didnt show me anything last season that he can even been considered a starter. Granted, he only got VERY LIMITED playing time, but you cant expect a gu who hit 150. to come in next season and start for your team. I really like Willie, and hope he becomes a fan favortie, but I dont want him in the lineup everyday next season. :nono

I second that. Willie as an everday'r is trouble.

I don't understand how he could hit .420 in AAA and then a buck fifty in the bigs.

That's why they call it the big leagues. 1 or 2 hits a week makes the difference between a long career and selling cars and signing about your glory days in AAA.

U realize what would be sweet. The Sox unloading Konerko and Koch and then spending that 14 mill on Castillo and Tejada, you'd probably need more like 16 mill to get the two of them, but that would be an amazing middle infield for a while. Then add Colon, move Ordonez and prospect, whoever is needed, to get the Soriano/Johnson deal and the Sox would be SET.

Castillo

Soriano

Thomas

Tejada

Johnson

Carlos Lee

ETC

I see it happening if they unload Jose Valentin, or some other contracts.  Like I say if KW can pull some trades and those guys are still on the market, you may see the Sox more active then ever before.

BUt its gonna be incredibly difficult to move those guys.

Castillo will be long gone by then.........

Willie Harris will surprise a lot of people before it's all said and done.

BUT we all should remember that throughout baseball, there were COUNTLESS minor leaguers who hit 40+ homers with 130+ RBIs who NEVER saw the light of day in the bigs, let alone produced at similar level.

There was a guy from some Texas league who is reported to hit 70 homers and 200+ RBI in something like 135 games in 1947 or something like that.

cwsox?

Willie Harris will surprise a lot of people before it's all said and done.

BUT we all should remember that throughout baseball, there were COUNTLESS minor leaguers who hit 40+ homers with 130+ RBIs who NEVER saw the light of day in the bigs, let alone produced at similar level. 

There was a guy from some Texas league who is reported to hit 70 homers and 200+ RBI in something like 135 games in 1947 or something like that.

cwsox?

Joe Bauman 72 HRs 1954

Between Castillo and Alomar. I would want Alomar just because of the cash. Use the cash elsewhere. Sad But True.

Castillo? Sox CAN'T afford to pay 7-8+ Mill a year for someone who even after a very good 2003, still has a 720 career OPS.....and who got caught so much in 2003 that it raised questions whether, as fast as he is, he should even be attempting steals.....................If Sox couldn't pay 6 million to a fan favorite Ray Durham back when the payroll was over 60 Mill, what makes you think they will to someone with better defense, but much less power and worse BR instincts? Plus, LC was BAD in the playoffs.

Alomar? Do you really think Robbie the Prince is gonna settle for 2 year/5 Mill

after making 8.5 Mill in 2003? And he isn't worth more than that.

Let's face it: Sox paying Valentin way too much money pretty much guarantees you will NOT see Cameron in CF, Castillo at 2B or Ponson on the mound.

but you cant expect a gu who hit 150. to come in next season and start for your team.

I do agree that you can't expect a guy to hit .150 and start the next year, but it wouldn't be too totally surprising.

Chone Figgins for Anaheim....hit .167 in 15 games in 02(I realize it is 15 games, which is not a very big timetable), and came back this year and hit .310 when starting.

Apparently, Chone, who is a very, very similar player to Willie, figured out how to hit well. I see no reason why Willie couldn't do it either, especially with a similar type player in Ozzie coaching him.

I hope you forgot the green.

Willie didnt show me anything last season that he can even been considered a starter. Granted, he only got VERY LIMITED playing time, but you cant expect a gu who hit 150. to come in next season and start for your team. I really like Willie, and hope he becomes a fan favortie, but I dont want him in the lineup everyday next season. :nono

I disagree, Harris hit .400 when he was in AAA. Granted Charlotte is a hitters park, but not all of those hits were bunt singles. I like Willie a lot, he brings intensity, he can run, he can field, he can BUNT. If there is a reason we need Willie in this line-up that ought to be it. I can't think of any guy that could consistantly get a bunt down besides Alomar, Harris and Rowand.

If you can all remember, before we acquired Robbie Alomar, Willie was a main reason that we caught fire. He was batting lead-off and was finding anyway possible to get on base.

In my honest opinion I think that Willie and Aaron were on the verge of proving themselves worthy of playing in the Majors. If the Sox do make a run at Tejada, I'd rather see an infield of Harris and Tejada rather than Valentin and Tejada. You can call me crazy all you want, but I'll take Willie Harris at 2B over Jose Valentin ANY DAY. Harris is much better defensively, and has a TON of range at second. (I know we did sign Valentin to a 5 million a year contract, but wasn't it rumored that he would go to LA with Lee for someone?)

Willie has the potential to be our Juan Pierre. I have faith in Willie and I think he is going to develop into that lead-off hitter that we've been searching for.

CWSOX45

I disagree, Harris hit .400 when he was in AAA. Granted Charlotte is a hitters park, but not all of those hits were bunt singles.  I like Willie a lot, he brings intensity, he can run, he can field, he can BUNT. If there is a reason we need Willie in this line-up that ought to be it. I can't think of any guy that could consistantly get a bunt down besides Alomar, Harris and Rowand.

If you can all remember, before we acquired Robbie Alomar, Willie was a main reason that we caught fire.  He was batting lead-off and was finding anyway possible to get on base.

In my honest opinion I think that Willie and Aaron were on the verge of proving themselves worthy of playing in the Majors. If the Sox do make a run at Tejada, I'd rather see an infield of Harris and Tejada rather than Valentin and Tejada.  You can call me crazy all you want, but I'll take Willie Harris at 2B over Jose Valentin ANY DAY. Harris is much better defensively, and has a TON of range at second. (I know we did sign Valentin to a 5 million a year contract, but wasn't it rumored that he would go to LA with Lee for someone?)

Willie has the potential to be our Juan Pierre. I have faith in Willie and I think he is going to develop into that lead-off hitter that we've been searching for.

CWSOX45

So many people in here want to write off a guy as having no talent, or just being a AAAA ballplayer, when they struggle at the beginning of there careers. I don't know if Willie Harris can be a Juan Pierre or not, but we have to play him so we can find out. Like that kid CF'er for the Giants that started out 0-52 or something like that. Lucky for the Giants, they gave that kid a chance to play. Willie Mays.

I agree with you Yas on at least one point. Willie has not gotten a fair chance to make it or break it in the Bigs. If the Sox feel he can be a good enough player he should get the chance. If they know in the back of their minds that he is more of a utility guy, then it is understandable to use him that way. Not every player deserves to get a chance to start. Whether Willie is good enough or not, I will defer to coaches who see and work with him every day.

I disagree, Harris hit .400 when he was in AAA.

CWSOX, Willie hit .380 in only 28 games (100 at bats). While that is certainly a hot streak, it is far from a number that should be thrown out to argue that he should be a major league starter. He basically had one really hot month. Time and his performance will tell if he is good enough, but a 28-game AAA sample won't.