moochpuppy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Colon...

Going into the offseason, there were about 2 or 3 teams who were maybe, maybe willing to give Colon more then $10-$12 mill or so. The Angels then signed Kelvim Escobar, so that kind of took them out of it(however, if they can either unload a big contract or just be willing to dish out cash, they can maybe still afford him), the Red Sox traded for Schilling, and the Yankees today traded for Vazquez. That pretty much leaves the Orioles as about the only team willing to dish out some cash to get him. If they don't want to spend the money or they just can't land him(which has happened the past two offseasons for them), that brings in numerous other teams, probably including the White Sox, Mets, Cards, DBacks, and maybe even the Indians again, as well as the Angels and Orioles. I'm not sure of the financial situation for several of those teams, mainly the Cards about how much is due to who down there, but I'm pretty sure all the others can possibly afford him. If you have 8 teams in the hunt for him, and only one team can get him....you kind of get the picture.

Cruising the Dodgers site.. It looks like everyone there doesn't think Kongerko is enough value for perez... Most even wanted Perez for Lee + Prospect...

my guess is it will be Kong + Prospect(Borchard?) and or CASH..... We all know KW can't make a deal without throwing in some $$$.

I doubt this will free up as salary as most here think. There is still another move to be made.

Cruising the Dodgers site..  It looks like everyone there doesn't think Kongerko is enough value for perez...  Most even wanted Perez for Lee + Prospect...

my guess is it will be Kong + Prospect(Borchard?) and or CASH..... We all know KW can't make a deal without throwing in some $$$.

I doubt this will free up as salary as most here think.  There is still another move to be made.

They are fools if they think Lee is not enough by himself. I would want a prospect and Perez for Lee just to consider it.

If this goes through, this frees up about 5 million, correct? PURSUE LITTLE MATSUI, and look for a taker for Jose. DO IT KW DO IT.

I think KW will save every penny (and deal Koch) and try to use the money on one more starting pitcher (Colon, Ponson) and a reliever to replace Koch (Kerry Ligtenberg, Sullivan?).

Pitching Pitching Pitching! That's the way to go.

I think KW will save every penny (and deal Koch) and try to use the money on one more starting pitcher (Colon, Ponson) and a reliever to replace Koch (Kerry Ligtenberg, Sullivan?).

Pitching Pitching Pitching! That's the way to go.

Yes, but I still see no reason as to why we couldn't get rid of Jose's 5 mil and take Kaz's 5 or 6 mil, it's pretty much the same and we still have the cash for pitching.

Yes, but I still see no reason as to why we couldn't get rid of Jose's 5 mil and take Kaz's 5 or 6 mil, it's pretty much the same and we still have the cash for pitching.

I'd be nice if we knew what the Sox's real budget is? Either way, if KW adds lots of pitching i'll call is a successful offseason.

Im tellin ya, as much heat as KW gets he does a pretty damn good job. If this deal and some others go through, it shows he has the initiative to free up cap room and find takers for high priced guys. Let's resign colon too :D

i have to agree with you. KW gets a lot of heat here, but hell he does a pretty nice job with what he gets from JR. The deals in july last year SHOULD have led them to the playoffs if it wasn't for JM.

Ok a couple of things, heard on am 1000 today that this trade is close. konerko for Perez. No mention of other players. I love this trade. I could care less if konerko does well. He is slow, Dp's alot, and is way over paid. 8 million does not cut it. Therefore get pitching and defense. Thomas mags and lee can hit the ball out of the park. Crede will be better as well. he can hit 25 a year.Go get Colon and another bullpen guy, sign alomar if you can and we are done. If we can get rid of Koch I would love that too.

Ross Gload is a better player than Konerko.

Man, this is so wrong. Or all other baseball clubs are idiots, to not obtain Gload and put him in the lineup, because he's better than a guy who has actually hit the ball in the major leagues.

Gload will be lucky to make the team. He hasn't done a whole lot of that in his major league career.

I agree that Gload will need a good spring to make the team.

But I'm gonna wait until, and if, Konerko gets traded to start speculating on what'll happen at 1B.

I agree with TQ's assessment though ... we need better situational hitting, more arms, and less GIDP. There's been WAY too much of that on recent Sox teams.

Having said that, I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite though. I'm willing to give a guy like Gload a chance but I cringe at the thought of Willie Harris as the starting 2B.

Willie seems to try hard but he really seems overmatched at the plate, big time.

Given the choice, I'd like to see them work something out with Alomar at 2B.

Then there's the small matter of who backs up Crede at 3B. The name to watch for is Ryan Hankins, who was in the Fall League and was learning to catch.

We need a guy who can hit (Hankins has had a pretty good stick), can play a few positions and is a good clubhouse guy, i.e. no Armando Rios types.

Hankins can play 1B, 3B, 2B, and catch. Don't know if he's ever played OF.

The 5th outfielder, if they carry one, should be the speed guy.

I can really see them giving Gload a chance and have him share time at 1B with Thomas. If you have a good 4th/5th OF, Lee or Ordonez could DH when Thomas plays 1B.

That's assuming Lee and Ordonez are still here. Big assumption.

I agree that Gload will need a good spring to make the team.

But I'm gonna wait until, and if, Konerko gets traded to start speculating on what'll happen at 1B.

I agree with TQ's assessment though ... we need better situational hitting, more arms, and less GIDP.  There's been WAY too much of that on recent Sox teams.

Having said that, I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite though.  I'm willing to give a guy like Gload a chance but I cringe at the thought of Willie Harris as the starting 2B.

Willie seems to try hard but he really seems overmatched at the plate, big time.

Given the choice, I'd like to see them work something out with Alomar at 2B.

Then there's the small matter of who backs up Crede at 3B.  The name to watch for is Ryan Hankins, who was in the Fall League and was learning to catch.

We need a guy who can hit (Hankins has had a pretty good stick), can play a few positions and is a good clubhouse guy, i.e. no Armando Rios types.

Hankins can play 1B, 3B, 2B, and catch.  Don't know if he's ever played OF.

The 5th outfielder, if they carry one, should be the speed guy.

I can really see them giving Gload a chance and have him share time at 1B with Thomas.  If you have a good 4th/5th OF, Lee or Ordonez could DH when Thomas plays 1B. 

That's assuming Lee and Ordonez are still here.  Big assumption.

Jim,

I feel your pain on Harris, I get the feeling that Harris can't hit, I mean really can't hit. Hey I never caught up with you on the seat thing. Did you get any? Also Hankins may not be ready, the Sox will get somebody via free agency to back up the infield. Also, I saw a past post of yours indicating that KW might have a blockbuster up his sleeve. Today Jayson Stark said the Mets have interest in Maggs. I would consider a MAggs, Koch deal a blockbuster. Hold on baby.

PS I would sign Alomar to play second.