1. 1. Should the draft be reinstated?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There should not be a draft except in monumental times.

Monumental Times?

mon·u·men·tal

adj.

1. Of, resembling, or serving as a monument.

2. Impressively large, sturdy, and enduring.

So if we are building

monument.jpg or rushmore.jpg

we need a draft :D

we should always have a volunteer army, unless our country faces a dire situation in which the fate of our nation lay in balance. I just don't see a world war III scenario that doesn't include post nuclear war fallout, which means massive amounts of deaths occured and we'd need to fight for our lives anyway.

one question cwsox....

did your old self ever serve in the army?

no.

There is elitism these days where too many people feel that they are too good, too important, they are made for better things than to serve and others should serve in their place. Or that making their fortune must come before service to their country.

And the national discussion might be a bit different if everyone had their ass on the line - if they had to actually risk putting their bodies where their mouths are.

And with September 11th in 2001, the invasion of Afghanistan in 2002, and the invasion if Iraq in 2003, how can anyone argue that these are not monumental times? Our military is stretched thin. I would love to see all the the real gung-hoers actually face having to go rather than send others.

This discussion has been had here many times.

No one should be willing to send others off to war unless they themself go.

And for all those that for physical reasons cannot serve in the military, several years of national service would be fine, especially as so many national guyard troops are now serving front line. And imagine the good uses we have out there - in schools, hospitals, everywhere.

Yes, the draft should be reinstated. Absolutely.

no.

There is elitism these days where too many people feel that they are too good, too important, they are made for better things than to serve and others should serve in their place.  Or that making their fortune must come before service to their country.

And the national discussion might be a bit different if everyone had their ass on the line - if they had to actually risk putting their bodies where their mouths are.

And with September 11th in 2001, the invasion of Afghanistan in 2002, and the invasion if Iraq in 2003, how can anyone argue that these are not monumental times?  Our military is stretched thin.  I would love to see all the the real gung-hoers actually face having to go rather than send others.

And for all those that for physical reasons cannot serve in the military, several years of national service would be fine, especially as so many national guyard troops are now serving front line.  And imagine the good uses we have out there - in schools, hospitals, everywhere.

Yes, the draft should be reinstated.  Absolutely.

Unless some serious changes are made, it still won't matter. The rich will still be able to call in favors and get their kids out of the draft. All it does is insure that the poor will die for the riches policies. At least this way poor people have a choice in the matter.

Unless some serious changes are made, it still won't matter.  The rich will still be able to call in favors and get their kids out of the draft.  All it does is insure that the poor will die for the riches policies.  At least this way poor people have a choice in the matter.

Exactly.

no.

There is elitism these days where too many people feel that they are too good, too important, they are made for better things than to serve and others should serve in their place.  Or that making their fortune must come before service to their country.

And with September 11th in 2001, the invasion of Afghanistan in 2002, and the invasion if Iraq in 2003, how can anyone argue that these are not monumental times?  Our military is stretched thin.  I would love to see all the the real gung-hoers actually face having to go rather than send others.

And for all those that for physical reasons cannot serve in the military, several years of national service would be fine, especially as so many national guyard troops are now serving front line.  And imagine the good uses we have out there - in schools, hospitals, everywhere.

Yes, the draft should be reinstated.  Absolutely.

well, my point is that someone who will never have that "pleasure" of serving in our military via draft, shouldn't really offer an opinion one way or another.

I'll go on record and say that I'd A)sign up and try to get into officer's school or B)enlist and try to get some kind of non-combative technical job. in case of a draft.

but, how can someone who's never served and will never serve because of age, say that we should without a doubt have a draft?? it seems a little easy to say, when YOUR ass will never be shot at.

something just doesn't add up here.

With U.S. forces stretched thin and many reservists on full-time duty, some urge a draft for reasons of fairness and practicality. Opponents say it's unnecessary and dangerous

I voted yes too...Of course the wealthy will always be able to buy their way out of harms way. But now the poor are still serving in much larger proportion--several kids I went to high school I with "had" to go into the service otherwise they would never be able to go to college.

I don't think the draft ever WILL be re-instated. But I voted that way because I think if there was a draft we would be much less likely to pre-emptively start wars and enter them. Mostly because young people couldn't afford to have such a laissez-faire attitude about it. It would literally be their lives on the line. I do not believe all wars are wrong--but I believe we should go to greater lengths to avoid them. And I think that if we had the draft we would go to much greater lengths to find a diplomatic solution.

I voted yes too...Of course the wealthy will always be able to buy their way out of harms way. But now the poor are still serving in much larger proportion--several kids I went to high school I with "had" to go into the service otherwise they would never be able to go to college.

If you are poor, the military is not the only way to go to college. I grew up dirt poor (yes, I ate government butter and cheese growing up for a time) and I managed to put myself through college earning a degree in engineering. Yes, I am still paying off student loans (about 3-4 years left), but there are consequences to every choice.

I don't think the draft ever WILL be re-instated. But I voted that way because I think if there was a draft we would be much less likely to pre-emptively start wars and enter them. Mostly because young people couldn't afford to have such a laissez-faire attitude about it. It would literally be their lives on the line. I do not believe all wars are wrong--but I believe we should go to greater lengths to avoid them. And I think that if we had the draft we would go to much greater lengths to find a diplomatic solution.

I see your point, and I wish I had more time today (somehow I keep frittering it away though) but I don't think it matters anymore about "if there were a draft we would much less likely go to war".

20 years ago I would agree, but since this all is a different age - and we've got that mentality of strike first or be striked against (I won't even delve into that one) - I Think our leaders in general will be a lot more trigger happy to go to war. The draft doesn't make it into the equation as much as it used to.

More later if I get time. And I REALLY need to get some work done. !@#$%@ Budgets.

well, my point is that someone who will never have that "pleasure" of serving in our military via draft, shouldn't really offer an opinion one way or another.

I'll go on record and say that I'd A)sign up and try to get into officer's school or B)enlist and try to get some kind of non-combative technical job. in case of a draft.

but, how can someone who's never served and will never serve because of age, say that we should without a doubt have a draft?? it seems a little easy to say, when YOUR ass will never be shot at.

So if you have served you can vote for a draft and if you have never served you can vote against? Only our law makers who have served can vote on the matter?

We can debate whether it is worthwhile to send a man to the moon, without actually having been to the moon, we can debate whether or not capitol punishment is worthwhile without having committed a murder or been a victim, so I think it is valid to debate if military service for all is necessary.

I never served, I was 4 inches away from the paper with a pen in hand when I noticed a little lie by the recruiter and backed off. I'm certain my sarcastic

There is actually two debates in one here. A draft is one method or perhaps we could look at a required 6 month to 1 year military service for everyone. For those who object to military service, they could do community service work.

There is actually two debates in one here. A draft is one method or perhaps we could look at a required 6 month to 1 year military service for everyone. For those who object to military service, they could do community service work.

If the community service clause was included in a draft, then I would have no problem with it. Otherwise, not in a million years would I support a draft.

I'm curious to see how many "yes" voters are within draft age or otherwise eligible for the draft?

mooch,

welcome to the real world. the decision would be made by our elected representatives and last time I looked, most are not draft age. Same thing with voting age, drinking age, driver's license restrictions, etc.

mooch,

welcome to the real world. the decision would be made by our elected representatives and last time I looked, most are not draft age. Same thing with voting age, drinking age, driver's license restrictions, etc.

Don't kid yourself. The most underrepresented age group is 18-25, and that is because they vote less than anyother age group. If they voted with the percentages that the seniors do, laws would look very different.

don't give that s*** about things not adding up

I faced the draft, and dealt with the draft, in my day as did all of my friends, some of whom never came home.

My son is a Marine on active duty.

How many people are against the draft because their ass would be on them line?

How many people are in favor of military adventures as long as they or their children or grandchildren have no risk? It is always easy to support things with other people, with other people's children.

Don't tell me I have no right to opinion.

Those who think military adventurres are fine should be the ones on the front lines and as an American citizen I have my rights to my opinion on every issue facing our nation and how dare you suggest otherwise.

don't give that s*** about things not adding up

I faced the draft, and dealt with the draft, in my day as did all of my friends, some of whom never came home.

My son is a Marine on active duty. 

How many people are against the draft because their ass would be on them line?

How many people are in favor of military adventures as long as they or their children or grandchildren have no risk?  It is always easy to support things with other people, with other people's children.

Don't tell me I have no right to opinion.

Those who think military adventurres are fine should be the ones on the front lines and as an American citizen I have my rights to my opinion on every issue facing our nation and how dare you suggest otherwise.

Who said you had no right to an opinion...?

:bang

His is that he doesn't think yours shouldn't count.. not that you couldn't have one.

Easy killer!!!