NCAA hoops thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm f***ed. I had State winning, and 'Zona, the Zags, and UConn making the final four.

It's still not quite as bad as BEGOOD having Mizzou winning it all.  :lol:

I've got Mizzou winning it all... They have the same chance that Uconn does... The NCAA tournament is tough to pick, almost never does the most talented team in the coundry win... I think the two most talented teams are Uconn and Duke, but i didn't even pick either to be in the final 4...

The teams that win or go deep in the Tourney are often ones that underachieve a little during the season, or ones who always seem to play up or down to thier competition..

97- Arizona won... they finished 5th in the pac 10

98- Utah inthe title game.... nobody expected that

99- Duke was practically given the title before the tourney... only to loose to a talented Uconn team, who barely got by Iowa.

2000 - Florida in the title game, after Iowa St was robbed in Auburn Hills against MSU

02 - Indiana in the championship game

03 - Syracuse surprising eveyone...

Then there's the famous underdogs.... Richmond, NCST,Providence. It's a crapshoot.

I've got Mizzou winning it all... They have the same chance that Uconn does... The NCAA tournament is tough to pick, almost never does the most talented team in the coundry win... I think the two most talented teams are Uconn and Duke, but i didn't even pick either to be in the final 4...

The teams that win or go deep in the Tourney are often ones that underachieve a little during the season, or ones who always seem to play up or down to thier competition..

97- Arizona won...  they finished 5th in the pac 10

99- Duke was practically given the title before the tourney... only to loose to a talented Uconn team, who barely got by Iowa.

2000 - Florida in the title game, after Iowa St was robbed in  Auburn Hills against MSU

Then there's the famous underdogs.... Richmond, NCST,Providence.  It's a crapshoot.

Yeah, State still has a shot.

U of L smashes Cincy, they'll be a top 3 team come season's end.

Then when Telfair comes in next season and Ellis Myles returning from his knee injury and Dean and Garcia returning, preseason No.1 next year.

I don't know how they always manage to overrate Cincy so badly. They play such a weak preconfrence schedule, and then they play in the relatively weak ConUSA. Plus they always choke in the tourney. Bob Huggins is one of the most overrated coaches in the land, IMO.

Once the Big East realigns for basketball in the 2005-2006 season, it's going to be the best basketball conference.

Louisville (will be a top 5 team as long as Pitino is there)

Connecticut

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

Notre Dame

Marquette

Cincinnati

Providence

Seton Hall

Villanova

Georgetown

Rutgers

West Virginia

St. John's

As Hawk would say...MERCY!

Once the Big East realigns for basketball in the 2005-2006 season, it's going to be the best basketball conference.

Louisville (will be a top 5 team as long as Pitino is there)

Connecticut

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

Notre Dame

Marquette

Cincinnati

Providence

Seton Hall

Villanova

Georgetown

Rutgers

West Virginia

St. John's

As Hawk would say...MERCY!

Yeah and the ACC will really be watered down by adding 2 of the Big East's perrenially worst teams in Miami, Fl St, and an every once in a while team in BC.

This wasn't made for basketball purposes so I don't really care how it affects the RPI's of Duke and UNC.  They'll always have the talent anyway, so they'll go just as far regardless of their RPI.

It is the middle of the conference that will suffer, espesially the bubble teams. The selection committee has made is very clear that they look at RPI and espesially at SOS when deciding who to let in to the tourney. Remember Georgia getting in a couple of years ago at like 16-15 or something like that? Waterdown the confrence and they don't make it.

97- Arizona won...  they finished 5th in the pac 10

2000 - Florida in the title game, after Iowa St was robbed in  Auburn Hills against MSU

Then there's the famous underdogs.... Richmond, NCST,Providence.  It's a crapshoot.

In general, you normally have 2 or 3 #1 seeds make it to the final four, so usually 2 or 3 of the top/most talented teams usually make it to the Final 4. After that you generally get 1 or 2 #2-#3 seeds, and you rarely see a team with a low seed then #5 make it, which means almost all the final four teams are ranked in the top 25 at the end of the season. Just a few things to keep in mind.

In regards to MSU, I don't like to toot my own horn, but I had them pegged to a tie. I mentioned that they don't have a true PG and that they have very little depth up front, with Davis being their only solid player down low. They need to have a good Big 10 record else they aren't getting into the Tourny(unless they win the Big 10 tourny). Its a good thing that the Big 10 is so weak. At this point, I don't think MSU would get into the Tourny.

My Final 4 picks UConn, Texas, Missouri, Florida aren't looking as good. I think UConn has the most talent this year and has a good chance to get to the Final 4. Texas is a very good team and could get a #2-#3 seed with a decent shot of getting to the Final 4. Missouri has to be one of the biggest dissapointments this year. This team has so much talent that it isn't even funny. They could be one of those teams that finish the year strong and could make a run in the Tourny. Florida has been really struggling of late. After getting to #1 they have really struggled. They have the talent to get to the Final 4, but like always I have a feeling that they will fall short of expectations.

In general, you normally have 2 or 3 #1 seeds make it to the final four, so usually 2 or 3 of the top/most talented teams usually make it to the Final 4. After that you generally get 1 or 2 #2-#3 seeds, and you rarely see a team with a low seed then #5 make it, which means almost all the final four teams are ranked in the top 25 at the end of the season. Just a few things to keep in mind.

In regards to MSU, I don't like to toot my own horn, but I had them pegged to a tie. I mentioned that they don't have a true PG and that they have very little depth up front, with Davis being their only solid player down low. They need to have a good Big 10 record else they aren't getting into the Tourny(unless they win the Big 10 tourny). Its a good thing that the Big 10 is so weak. At this point, I don't think MSU would get into the Tourny.

My Final 4 picks UConn, Texas, Missouri, Florida aren't looking as good. I think UConn has the most talent this year and has a good chance to get to the Final 4. Texas is a very good team and could get a #2-#3 seed with a decent shot of getting to the Final 4. Missouri has to be one of the biggest dissapointments this year. This team has so much talent that it isn't even funny. They could be one of those teams that finish the year strong and could make a run in the Tourny. Florida has been really struggling of late. After getting to #1 they have really struggled. They have the talent to get to the Final 4, but like always I have a feeling that they will fall short of expectations.

I saw on sportscenter last night... during the past 7 years, only two of the NCAA champions had been ranked #1 at any point in the year that they won the title... 2 of 7 that's 28%.... At any point...

I saw on sportscenter last night... during the past 7 years, only two of the NCAA champions had been ranked #1 at any point in the year that they won the title... 2 of 7 that's 28%.... At any point...

Who said anything about #1 seeds winning it all? I was pointing out the well known fact that you usually have at least 2 #1 seeds in the Final 4(but never all 4). That 1 of the Final 4 teams is usually a #2 or #3 seed, and that you RARELY have a team below a #5 seed make it to the Final 4. These are pretty well known facts that I thought I would point out. I wasn't talking about winning it all since the topic at hand was the Final 4. With that said, I picked Texas as my winner, and I figured that they would be a #2 or #3 seed.

YESSSSSSSSS...FSU comes back from down 24 to send it to OT against Carolina.  They need this one bad.

Wow that was a positively Bullesque second half. Now the whole country knows how to beat the Heals. Beat up May, and take him out of the game. Cut off his passing lanes, and make them a jump shooting team. They can't do it.

After being up 28-4, UNC hits only one bucket in OT!!! :headbang FSU doesn't miss in the OT.......FSU beats UNC in OT, 90-81.....

Congrats Spiff!

Thank you, thank you very much. I'd like to thank the academy, all the little people, and of course the Tar Heels for boning out.

This is a clutch win, especially after the last three bad losses. But it doesn't get any easier with Wake at home and then a trip to Cameron after that. I don't know if this team can make the tournament, but this is definitely a big win to build on.