One more thing on the KW interview

Guest JimH

One of my buddies who heard the whole interview said KW mentioned he would likely be signing one more pitcher to a minor league deal ala Person, Jackson, etc.

I did not see this mentioned in the thread discussing the interview. My apoligies if I missed it.

I'll have to look at the list and speculate on who it might be.

Did Reed sign with Cincy or was it Pittsburgh?

I thought maybe Ron Villone would be a guy they might bring in, but who knows, it's probably some other guy we've never heard of :lol:

Did Reed sign with Cincy or was it Pittsburgh?

I thought maybe Ron Villone would be a guy they might bring in, but who knows, it's probably some other guy we've never heard of  :lol:

Oops it was Pittsburgh, knew it was one of those crappy NL Central teams. :lol:

I took a look at it on mlb.com , it is not pretty!  :lol:

Except for Greg Maddox, of course  :bang

i know i agrued against this guy earlier but with whats left..i think the best choice would be john burkett....ive talked to some red sox fans this week and one guy said burkett's era was bad because he had 4 starts where he just got blown out of the water...but he had actually had more quality starts (6 or more ip - 3 runs or less) then derek lowe did last year

so with whats left ..maybe he is worth a shot..unless of course he signed with someone already

i know i agrued against this guy earlier but with whats left..i think the best choice would be john burkett....ive talked to some red sox fans this week and one guy said burkett's era was bad because he had 4 starts where he just got blown out of the water...but he had actually had more quality starts (6 or more ip - 3 runs or less) then derek lowe did last year

so with whats left ..maybe he is worth a shot..unless of course he signed with someone already

I'm quite sure he's still available.

I'd take him. He's be better then nothing.

Oops it was Pittsburgh, knew it was one of those crappy NL Central teams.  :lol:

DBAHO, we lost out on Moss. We both wanted him but somehow Tampa got them. Why couldnt they teach the "cutter" to Moss instead of the highly touted Schoney who KW wanted to trade for 3 years ago. I hope we can be quick to pull him or whoever is the 4th and 5th starter whenever they started to suck. Todd Ritchie all over again.

I'm thinking it's Orlando Hernandez.

Hernandez is the guy that came to mind. Baggio, do you have a link to support that 78 mph claim? I know that he threw a little for scouts from 20 different teams down in Florida, but I had not heard about a personal workout for the M's or him only topping out at 78 mph. In all honestly, Hernandez doesn't get people out because of his velocity, so even if he is only in the mid-80's I wouldn't be that concerned, especially if he signs to a minor league contract. I think Hernandez would be a good risk. He has a good arm and solid career stats, including a respetable career ERA of 4.04, opp BA of .237, opp OPS of .704, and 7.04 K:9IP. I think he would be worth the risk if he was healthy. With that said, I would be happy letting a youngster take that 5th spot as well.

DBAHO, we lost out on Moss. We both wanted him but somehow Tampa got them. Why couldnt they teach the "cutter" to Moss instead of the highly touted Schoney who KW wanted to trade for 3 years ago. I hope we can be quick to pull him or whoever is the 4th and 5th starter whenever they started to suck. Todd Ritchie all over again.

I think he could really be a steal for Tampa Bay, prob replace Joe Kennedy in their rotation. And I mean sure he's got sum control issues like Cotts, but he's young, had 2 or 3 years of Major League Experience and Coop has a great track record of turnin pitchers into winners, I think he could hav done da same to Moss.

anyone got a list on who is left??

1. Ashby, Andy SP LA --- --- ---

2. Astacio, Pedro SP NYM --- --- ---

3. Burkett, John SP BOS --- --- ---

4. Erickson, Scott SP BAL --- --- --- 5. Hernandez, Orlando SP MON --- --- Non-tendered 6. Keisler, Randy SP HOU --- --- Six-year free agent

7. Lima, Jose SP KC --- --- --- 8. Maddux, Greg SP ATL --- --- --- 9. Moehler, Brian SP HOU --- --- ---

10. Oliver, Darren SP COL --- --- ---

11. Quevedo, Ruben SP MIL --- --- Six-year free agent

12. Stephenson, Garrett SP STL --- --- ---

13. Van Hekken, Andy SP DET --- --- Non-tendered

14. Villone, Ron SP HOU --- --- ---

15. Wright, Jamey SP KC

PEOPLE IN RED ARE PITCHERS WHO I THINK WE SHOULD LOOK AT. TELL ME WHAT U THINK. :bringit

Ish, they should definitely bring somebody else in, if nothing else than for the sake of competition.

Astacio is hurt and it's likely he won't contribute to any team for several months at least.

Jose Lima is, in my opinion, a nut case.

I believe Ashby has injuries too, but not certain.

Burkett is by all accounts a solid citizen but I don't think they'll get him.

The smart PR thing would be Greg Maddox, but that won't happen either.

If Erickson is healthy, maybe. I think it was Steff who commented recently that he's got some bad habits off the field and may not be a good clubhouse presence, if I recall correctly. So if true, that's a concern.

No matter what, anyone but Maddox is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Hernandez is the guy that came to mind. Baggio, do you have a link to support that 78 mph claim? I know that he threw a little for scouts from 20 different teams down in Florida, but I had not heard about a personal workout for the M's or him only topping out at 78 mph. In all honestly, Hernandez doesn't get people out because of his velocity, so even if he is only in the mid-80's I wouldn't be that concerned, especially if he signs to a minor league contract. I think Hernandez would be a good risk. He has a good arm and solid career stats, including a respetable career ERA of 4.04, opp BA of .237, opp OPS of .704, and 7.04 K:9IP. I think he would be worth the risk if he was healthy. With that said, I would be happy letting a youngster take that 5th spot as well.

I saw this same claim in Friday's Trib.

I don't remember exactly where, but it was indeed reported that Hernandez was not impressive in front of the scouts and that he only threw 78 mph. It did say that he was not fully letting it go and that he reassured scouts that he would be fine in two months. Scouts were expecting him to be near full strength and were disappointed in what they saw.

1.    Ashby, Andy  SP  LA  ---  ---  ---

2.    Astacio, Pedro  SP  NYM  ---  ---  ---

3.    Burkett, John  SP  BOS  ---  ---  ---

4.    Erickson, Scott  SP  BAL  ---  ---  ---

5.    Hernandez, Orlando  SP  MON  ---  ---  Non-tendered 6.    Keisler, Randy  SP  HOU  ---  ---  Six-year free agent

7.    Lima, Jose SP  KC  ---  ---  --- 8.    Maddux, Greg  SP  ATL  ---  ---  --- 9.    Moehler, Brian  SP  HOU  ---  ---  ---

10.    Oliver, Darren  SP  COL  ---  ---  ---

11.    Quevedo, Ruben  SP  MIL  ---  ---  Six-year free agent

12.    Stephenson, Garrett  SP  STL  ---  ---  ---

13.    Van Hekken, Andy  SP  DET  ---  ---  Non-tendered

14.    Villone, Ron  SP  HOU  ---  ---  ---

15.    Wright, Jamey  SP  KC

PEOPLE IN RED ARE PITCHERS WHO I THINK WE SHOULD LOOK AT. TELL ME WHAT U THINK. :bringit

here are their stats from last year

andy ashby 3-10 5.18 era 35 , too many injuries imo

pedro astacio 3-2 7.36 , if healthy , maybe

john burkett 12-9 5.15 ., this guy is always on a winner , no 1 choice

scott erickson 5-12 5.55 , too many health issues

orlando hernandez 8-5 , 3.64 , if he can get velocity back..why not

randy keisler , dont know enough about him

jose lima , 8-3 , 4.91 ,lima and ozzie , let the fire works begin , why not??

brian moehler , 0-0 , 7.90 , been injured 3 years in a row..nope

darren oliver , 13-11 , 5.04 in colorado, should go after this guy , lefty too

rueben quevedo , not even worth listing his stats

garrett stephenson , 7-13 , 4.59 , give him a look

andy van hekken , dont know enough about him

ron villone , 6-6 , 4.13 , lefty , less hits than ip , 91 k's in 116 ip , go after him

jamey wright , 1-2 , 4.26 , if he could ever stay healthy

burkett , lima , oliver , stephenson , villone , wright , and hell id even invite van hekken and kiesler....sign them all to minor league contracts..gotta figure one of them could show us enough in ST to help the team...

but if i had to pick on id go with burkett followed by villone..

Jose Lima is a guy who has a real blast playing the game and its a lot of fun watching him too. That 8-3 record with KC was for the 2nd half of the season since he spent the 1st half with the independent Newark Bears of the Atlantic League where he went 7-1. He should be a solid 12-15 game winner at the MLB level next year. He's the best of the bunch I think.

As for Villone, he pitched decently for Houston last year and its surprising that they didn't keep him around. He would also make for a good #5 starter.