A-Rod Trade Official

Soxbadger

To be fair.....Robbie Alomar had AWESOME seasons in 1999-2001 when he was 31, 32 and 33 respectively.

But if you want to get technical, HISTORICALLY, players PEAK at 28.

So you could say Vlad Guerrero is past his prime. :bang

Like I said earlier.. better get Maggs a wheelchair!! :lol:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure Michael Young can handle shortstop, but yes that would look good.

Supposedly that is what they are doing. That is what the guys they had on the radio from Texas said. Michael Young to SS and Eric Young to 2B. Not a bad looking lineup at all. But they need a hell of a lot of pitching (holy s***, I agreed with JReed on something!! :D ). Especially to compete in the AL West.

I got them for you 99..  :D

Pitching Statistics

NAME        G GS W L  Sv Hld  IP    H ER  HR BB  SO  K/9  P/GS  WHIP ERA

Kevin Brown 32 32  14  9  0  0  211.0 184 56  11  56  185 7.89  97.1  1.14  2.39

Thanks, I figured someone would post them anyways. Those look pretty damn good to me. I would hate to have someone like that on the White Sox.

There are always exceptions to the rule Mr. Brando.

Off the top of my head, only going by recent few years.......these positional players went on to have numerous good-to-very-good seasons after turning 32:

Frank Thomas

Larry Walker

Barry Bonds

Sammy Sosa

Manny Ramirez

Garry Sheffield

Darryl Strawberry

Edgar Martinez

Mike Piazza

Robin Ventura

Brian Giles

Loius Gonzalez

Bret Boone

Mark Grace

Matt Stairs

Kenny Lofton

Robbie ALomar

John Olerud

Ellis Burks

Albert Belle

Mark McGwire

Bernie Williams

Jose Canseco

Jim Edmonds

Andres Galarraga

Ricki Henderson

Tim Raines

Tony Gwynn

Cal Ripken

Wade Boggs

Barry Larkin

David Justice

Juan Gonalez

Will Clark

Matt Williams

Moises Alou

Jim Thome

Randy Velarde

Raffy Palmeiro

Harold Baines

Julio Franco

Fred McGriff

Eric Davis

Jeff Bagwell

Craig Biggio

Jeff Kent

Greg Vaughn

I don't think Jordan or Fullmer are part of the future. Don't they have a stud 1st baseman in the minors..? (I think gonzalez?) I'm sure they'll move him to 1st and move Teixiera to RF. They're pitching still needs help though.

IIRC they got that kid in the Urbina deal.

WITE,

SSI is not an idiot.

beastlyordonez....now THERE was an idiot.

Heather Lee?  Not very bright.

I beg to differ.

Is a 32-year old baseball player old? That is my main question on this thread, and to me, the answer seems pretty obvious. Most players retire at the age of 38-42...somewhere in that range unless they are forced to retire for some other reason earlier(either because they sucked and no one wanted them or a nagging injury kept on reoccurring and would never go away when playing or an injury flat out kept them from playing). That tells me they have 6-10 years left at the age of 32.

I also brought up the point that if the average age is perhaps 30-31(I never actually said this but did imply it a time or two), and the Yankees average age is 32, does that make them old? It makes them older then the average team, but not old. Just like a 50-year old person....middle-aged, not old. The average age of a person at their death is somewhere around 75....that means they've only lived 2/3rds of their life at 50, which tells me that they are not old. My definition of an old person is when they become a senior citizen, and that is like 60-65, is it not?

Also, his accusations of me comparing Williams and Lofton to Bonds as well as Brown and Mussina to Johnson and Pedro were false. I never did such a thing. If you want, I compared ages, but never how well they played the game or their stats to one another. Very ignorant and arrogant if you ask me.

Maybe SSI is not an idiot. Maybe he is just ignorant and arrogant.

And yes, beastly was most definately an idiot.

Maybe SSI is not an idiot.  Maybe he is just ignorant and arrogant. 

And yes, beastly was most definately an idiot.

Don't blow this out of proportion Witesoxfan. I've seen far more ignorant statements then that during this past year. Whether you feel inclined to fight SSI because he is disliked, or really feel that passionate about the age of baseball players, it appears this is yet another example of our members jumping on SSI. Calling him arrogant and ignorant because he feels Yankees are an old team seems odd . I've watched this thread progress and just marveled about the extent to which you go to prove a point.

Odd, you once told me I was an "asshole" and should "seek help" because I argued with another member on this board; something that you deemed unneccesary. :bang

Don't blow this out of proportion Witesoxfan.  I've seen far more ignorant statements then that during this past year.  Whether you feel inclined to fight SSI because he is disliked, or really feel that passionate about the age of baseball players, it just appears this is yet another example of our members jumping on SSI.  Calling him arrogant and ignorant because he feels Yankees are an old team seems odd .  I've watched this thread progress and just marveled about the extent to which you go to prove a point. 

Odd, you once told me I should "seek help" because I argued with another member on a message board; something that you deemed unneccesary. :bang

Odd, you once told me I should "seek help" because I argued with another member on a message board; something that you deemed unneccesary. :bang

I did? I don't recall that happening. Not saying it didn't happen, I just don't remember it.

Anyways, I stopped arguing with him for a reason. It was obviously going nowhere....so I stopped before it got out of hand.

I did?  I don't recall that happening.  Not saying it didn't happen, I just don't remember it.

Anyways, I stopped arguing with him for a reason.  It was obviously going nowhere....so I stopped before it got out of hand.

Was this before or after you called me an "idiot"? Maybe that is before or after you jsut decided to call me ignorant and arrogant. That is the first point. 2nd point I never said ONE PLAYER was old at 32, however a TEAM with the average age of 32 is considered an OLD TEAM. There is a difference there whether you recognize that or not. You have done this comparison many times and I have told you it is comparing apples to oranges. I have repeatedly said to compare the league average age to the Yankees average age. That will show you that the Yanks are old relative to MLB. If you can't understand that then you better look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself who is ignorant or arrogant. That is why I never answered the question you asked because you were asking it to compare a player to a team or an outstanding player to other players. Whether you recognize that or not, you were doing that. Even if the only thing you were comparing between the players were the ages of them you were still comparing them.

I tried to ask you to stop a while before you stopped. I agreed to disagree with you a while back, however you kept pushing. You wanted to try and make me change my opinion of what "old" is to me or my opinion of the Yanks being an old team. Since you couldn't change this opnion you decided it would be best to call me an idiot then later you decided it would be best to call me ignorant and arrogant.

The Yanks, like all teams have questionmarks. You can call them old, cause they are older then most teams out there. They also have some guys that have some checkered health pasts, like Bernie Williams (who knows how much longer he will be able to play) and then you have to wonder how Giambi's knee is going to be holding up. Then you have Brown and his delicate arm. I heard a few doctors talking and they are convinced that it is impossible for him to pitch too many more innings (then again, thats just their perspectives).

So i mean there are issues, but if someone goes down, they will fill that hole, the question is whether the team can mesh enough. Just cause you have all superstars doesn't mean you'll win it all, sometimes things just don't work out.

Heck, weren't the Yanks supposed to win it all the past couple years.

Maybe SSI is not an idiot. Maybe he is just ignorant and arrogant.

There is no maybe about it. SSI is not an idiot. Contentious? Perhaps. Homosexual? Most definately. But an idiot? No.

Roman, BMR -- those were idiots. Knew next to nothing about baseball and were very loud about it.

If you disagree with him, just give him facts and leave the black-listing to others.

Off the top of my head, only going by recent few years.......these positional players went on to have numerous good-to-very-good seasons after turning 32:

Frank Thomas

Larry Walker

Barry Bonds

Sammy Sosa

Manny Ramirez

Garry Sheffield

Darryl Strawberry

Edgar Martinez

Mike Piazza

Robin Ventura

Brian Giles

Loius Gonzalez

Bret Boone

Mark Grace

Matt Stairs

Kenny Lofton

Robbie ALomar

John Olerud

Ellis Burks

Albert Belle

Mark McGwire

Bernie Williams

Jose Canseco

Jim Edmonds

Andres Galarraga

Ricki Henderson

Tim Raines

Tony Gwynn

Cal Ripken

Wade Boggs

Barry Larkin

David Justice

Juan Gonalez

Will Clark

Matt Williams

Moises Alou

Jim Thome

Randy Velarde

Raffy Palmeiro

Harold Baines

Julio Franco

Fred McGriff

Eric Davis

Jeff Bagwell

Craig Biggio

Jeff Kent

Greg Vaughn

Speaking of facts....There goes the "32yo" theory....

After reading this very interesting and enlightening thread :rolleyes: I will say this. I'd gladly take a roster of 32 to 36 year old allstar calibre players over a roster full of young question marks and never-will-be's. And considering the fact that if any of these players the Yanks have does prove to be unproductive, then King George will go out and buy another 30something all star to replace them. Are the Yankees older than the average age of the rest of baseball. Almost certainly. Does if make any difference what so ever? No.

Funniest post of the entire thread!  :headbang

Of course it was.. :headbang

Oh.. here's some more over the hill s***ty baseball players I would NEVER want on my roster... :lol:

Clemens

Don Sutton

Bert Blyleven

Bob Gibson

Tom Seaver

Chuck Finley

Robin Yount

Pete Rose

George Brett

Cal Ripken Jr

Dave Winfield

Along with Brando's, the list got pretty long.. I have to say I was a bit surprised.