I'll Tell You What...

The Critic

I listened to a lot of this morning's "Talking Baseball" broadcast and it seems that a LOT of baseball people are coming away impressed with how Ozzie's running camp so far. It sounds like there's a VERY positive attitude, good communication, and special attention paid to the pitching staff. The part that seems to impress the people I heard on the show was Oz's knowledge of and attention to pitching.

Will this carry over to regular-season wins and losses? Who knows?

It certainly can't HURT a team to have a good feeling about themsleves in camp, though, and this year seems much more positive than last. Every picture I see, people are smiling and joking around - that's great to see.

I have to say, I'm getting excited about this season and I can't WAIT til Thursday, when the first pre-season radio broadcast will occur. I just hope Ed Farmer doesn't say anything as stupid as last year's repeated "Frank Thomas has to have a good spring to make this team". He must have said that 10 times in Spring Training.....dolt....

162 games is a long road to travel, but I like what I am hering too, not only about Ozzie and the ST camp, but from the players. I have not really read anything from the players where the criticize Jerry Manuel, badmouth each other, etc, etc. It has been positive and no excuses for last year. The mindset seesm to be on playing as a team, doing their individual best and stepping up.

I'm not about to jump on the Ozzie wagon yet. But I definitely like what i'm hearing and seeing so far. I like everybodys attitide as well. Harris, Rowand, and Crede reporting early was very nice to see. Frank showin up a day early with no problems was great. Maggs looks as if he's focused squarely on this season and not worried about where he'll be next year. Even Billy Koch seems like he's been somewhat reborn.

I hate to jump on the Ozzie band wagon too soon but from the looks of it this season is going to be a lot of fung... I mean fun.

If you remember nothing else, remember this:

Fung is Winning.

And winning is fung. :lol:

Too much Boers and Bernstein. :lolhitting

Just a quick question.

Am I getting excited because White Sox baseball is going to start in a month, or because the White Sox could actually be good this year?

I've questioned the Ozzie hiring since day one...and I now stop questioning it. He seems to be the right man for the team.

Part of me still thinks that this coudl be a 70-75 win team to start the rebuilding. The other part thinks that what has been shown by the team, namely Frank Thomas and Ozzie Guillen...both saying this whole offseason thing is no big deal, Frank saying this is Ozzie's team, and Ozzie saying Frank is his best hitter...their mutual respect for one another seems to be a great thing, and that part of me thinks this team could win 85-90, hell, maybe even 95 games if they catch a break now and then.

I can only hope that the latter part of me is correct.

I listened to a lot of this morning's "Talking Baseball" broadcast and it seems that a LOT of baseball people are coming away impressed with how Ozzie's running camp so far. It sounds like there's a VERY positive attitude, good communication, and special attention paid to the pitching staff. The part that seems to impress the people I heard on the show was Oz's knowledge of and attention to pitching.

Will this carry over to regular-season wins and losses? Who knows?

It certainly can't HURT a team to have a good feeling about themsleves in camp, though, and this year seems much more positive than last. Every picture I see, people are smiling and joking around - that's great to see.

I have to say, I'm getting excited about this season and I can't WAIT til Thursday, when the first pre-season radio broadcast will occur. I just hope Ed Farmer doesn't say anything as stupid as last year's repeated "Frank Thomas has to have a good spring to make this team". He must have said that 10 times in Spring Training.....dolt....

Hopefully that positive attitude in camp will translate into a fast start for the team. Good to see the guys are motivated though. That is gonna go a long way toward getting us going on the right foot.

One of my favorite quotes from Ozzie thus far:

"The 2nd base job is Willie Harris's to lose." When asked who Willie was competing against, Ozzie said, "He's competing against himself."

So if Willie Harris loses the 2nd base job, Ozzie will replace him with Willie Harris. :bang

One thing is for sure - that Spring Training roster is a helluva lot looser, positive, and lively than I can ever remember it being under Sleepy Jerry. :headbang

One of my favorite quotes from Ozzie thus far:

"The 2nd base job is Willie Harris's to lose."  When asked who Willie was competing against, Ozzie said, "He's competing against himself."

So if Willie Harris loses the 2nd base job, Ozzie will replace him with Willie Harris. :bang

One thing is for sure - that Spring Training roster is a helluva lot looser, positive, and lively than I can ever remember it being under Sleepy Jerry. :headbang

He's goin to back in his players 110%. I definitely think Harris will be the starting second baseman, although it's good to see Juan Uribe has been very impressive as well. Nothin like some healthy competition b/w players to push themselves that little bit harder. :headbang

While I agree that I like hearing all these good vibes coming out of ST, you have to put it all in perspective too. Every year, someone for every non-favored team will say something like "If a few breaks fall our way, we can surprise some people."

I'll admit I was happy with the Ozzie signing. I am also sitting here thinking Oh good there having fun, let's have a great time while finishing third

I'll get excited when they are 3 games over .500

But dammit, I am getting excited for the season to start. And I promised myself I would be Eeyore. Do not get excited about this team.

We do have a few great players and can still score some runs. And if Koch can pitch . . .

While I agree that I like hearing all these good vibes coming out of ST, you have to put it all in perspective too.  Every year, someone for every non-favored team will say something like "If a few breaks fall our way, we can surprise some people."

Trust me, YAS, I don't think anyone's been blinded to the question marks this team still presents ( starting pitching, manufacturing runs, closer, etc ).

I'm just saying that it's REALLY nice to hear positive things from camp and NOT to hear about disagreements and controversies. Also really good to see that Oz is getting good early reviews from baseball people on his camp.

The true challenge, as always, is how he manages in games and how the team applies what he's trying to teach. The feeling is just way better than I was expecting it to be at this point.

Gotta take the good news where you can get it. :D

Trust me, YAS, I don't think anyone's been blinded to the question marks this team still presents ( starting pitching, manufacturing runs, closer, etc ).

I'm just saying that it's REALLY nice to hear positive things from camp and NOT to hear about disagreements and controversies. Also really good to see that Oz is getting good early reviews from baseball people on his camp.

The true challenge, as always, is how he manages in games and how the team applies what he's trying to teach. The feeling is just way better than I was expecting it to be at this point.

Gotta take the good news where you can get it. :D

I have to agree with you. On all counts.

Keeping track, so far at least, we are ahead of last year in the managerial department. Will that overcome losing a key starter and make up the 4 games we needed last season? Maybe.

I wonder if the players are as excited as the fans about the switch to Oz . . .