Why I didn't renew my tickets this year.

southsider2k5

I just got the brochure for the "Starting Nine" ticket plan in the mail.  I had calmed down about ticket prices, but this got me all riled up again.

Here it is in black and white.  For the past 3 years through all of the ticket price increases my wife and I have always gotten the 7 game plan.  We always would get openning day, the 3 Cubs games, fan appreciation day, and two other good match ups.  (usually one NL team and a Twins game).  Last year this cost me $290 for the two sets of tickets in the outfield reserved seats. 2 of the games I requested I didn't even get the seats I asked for.  In order to get that same plan, plus the two extra games that you have to buy, it would cost me $472 or a 61% increase out of my pocket. And that is just 2003 vs 2004.  I am sure it would be 125-150% increase if I went back to 2000.  Any one out there gotten a 61% pay increase in the last year, or making double what they were in 2000?  I know I haven't.

This is one fan who has been priced out of the market.

I am not at all defending the sox here, but you are asking for 4 of the biggest games of the year....If you pick 9 other games I'm sure the increase won't be that much....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand....but your argument seems like the sox raised prices 61% in a year...when in truth it's the specific games in your package that were raised...not all games. I don't knock the sox for raising prices for the games that they will profit the most from.

I hate even discussin this cause it appears I am defending them for raising prices, but I totally disagree with a balnket price increase...I do however agree with raising prices for cub games and opening day. Make the cub fans that fill our park pay more...and if the casual fan that is only coming to the opening day game then he can pay more too. It's a blanket increase that I am against....

and if the casual fan that is only coming to the opening day game then he can pay more too.  It's a blanket increase that I am against....

I'm not a casual fan. Why should I have to pay more to go on Opening Day when it's cold and raining and s***ty. I waited it out last year and stayed the entire game. I should be rewarded not punished.

I'm not a casual fan. Why should I have to pay more to go on Opening Day when it's cold and raining and s***ty. I waited it out last year and stayed the entire game. I should be rewarded not punished.

Opening Day is a marquee event, and they're a business, if they can make more because the casual fan WILL go to that game and others like the Cubs games, that's just good business for them.

Think of a good restaurant/bar ... happy hours, 2-for-1 specials, etc. are rarely on Saturday nights when they'll get the most customers anyway. And we can complain they don't have 2-for-1 or happy hour prices on Saturday nights but that's just the world we live in.

dude but if you dont pay $500 for 7 games, Kenny Williams wont be able to pick up any players after the allstar break

the responsibility of the Sox winning is completely based on fan support, not management or players

dude but if you dont pay $500 for 7 games, Kenny Williams wont be able to pick up any players after the allstar break

the responsibility of the Sox winning is completely based on fan support, not management or players

My edit.

You think this is bad, wait until they actually win something.

The Bulls use to kiss my ass every year when I renewed. Then they drafted this guard from SC and soon it was ram another price increase. First they cut the discounts then price jumps each season. Then with the enw stadium my center court became off in a corner.

I just got the brochure for the "Starting Nine" ticket plan in the mail.  I had calmed down about ticket prices, but this got me all riled up again.

Here it is in black and white.  For the past 3 years through all of the ticket price increases my wife and I have always gotten the 7 game plan.  We always would get openning day, the 3 Cubs games, fan appreciation day, and two other good match ups.  (usually one NL team and a Twins game).  Last year this cost me $290 for the two sets of tickets in the outfield reserved seats. 2 of the games I requested I didn't even get the seats I asked for.  In order to get that same plan, plus the two extra games that you have to buy, it would cost me $472 or a 61% increase out of my pocket. And that is just 2003 vs 2004.  I am sure it would be 125-150% increase if I went back to 2000.  Any one out there gotten a 61% pay increase in the last year, or making double what they were in 2000?  I know I haven't.

This is one fan who has been priced out of the market.

It's getting these days so that the average person cannot afford to take the family to the ballpark for a day out. Sad really, but all pro sports are getting like that.

It's getting these days so that the average person cannot afford to take the family to the ballpark for a day out.

that's why I am a most unaverage person with a most unique family so we can go game after game after game

:lol: :lol: :lol:

we will be taking a pass on the overnight though at this point

Interesting how you complain about both the high prices and how the Sox have a "low payroll."

There's always minor league baseball, college baseball, high school baseball and lots other baseball games that you can take your kids to for only a "couple bucks."

Good point, but it's not big league ball.

Big league baseball and its 80 home games was originally designed as a cheap night at the park.

That said, can't people go on Tuesday nights dirt cheap?

At least the Royals basically give away tix on Tuesdays?

is it the same in Soxdom?

At least the Royals basically give away tix on Tuesdays?

is it the same in Soxdom?

For the last two seasons, all Monday home games have been half-price, and Tuesdays was a Pepsi promo where you got your second tix for a buck with each full-price ticket and an empty Pepsi product. Between those two days and the 6 Willie (the Pimp?) Wonka Kid's Days on Sundays (kids tix a buck with each paying adult), there was a fair number of economical games to be had. I haven't paid enough attention yet this year to know if they're doig all of that again this year.

Last year was some day...that rain sucked, I was so f***ing cold cause I was dumb enough to get all wet.

Last year was some day...that rain sucked, I was so f***ing cold cause I was dumb enough to get all wet.

:headbang Last year was some day... I ended up in a box, the three hour rain delay only meant that we had drained the entire suite of alchohol twice before the game started. Of course we had more than twice the actual box suite capacity in there by that time. I spent most of the rain delay sitting on a garbage can.

Great memories... Crede's blast first victory of the year.. :headbang I would have been miserable outside, though I was prepared.

Yeah what a s***ty day. A group of at least 20 of us go every year and for the last 3 or 4 years we get the club section on opening day. It's heated, they have tables and chairs and they have the flat screens all over...so when ya come in to warm up or dry off you don't miss any action. Half of our group never even came outside last year. I was only out for the last 3 innings and that's only cause I was nie and toasty inside by that point.

f***in miserable day,,,but still good times had by all!!!!!!! :cheers

Y'all are softies. My blood has been thinned by 15 years in sunny southern weather, and I sat outside through the entire rain delay and game last year at the opener. Ah the false feeling of warmth a little alcohol can give you. I thought compared to how cold it got at the end of the opener 2 years earlier (friggin' extra inning loss to Detroit *grumble grumble*), last year was not nearly as bad.

The weather certainly can go either way for those April games though, that's for sure.

Y'all are softies.  My blood has been thinned by 15 years in sunny southern weather, and I sat outside through the entire rain delay and game last year at the opener.  Ah the false feeling of warmth a little alcohol can give you.  I thought compared to how cold it got at the end of the opener 2 years earlier (friggin' extra inning loss to Detroit *grumble grumble*), last year was not nearly as bad.

The weather certainly can go either way for those April games though, that's for sure.

lol

I wasn't at opening day (coulda got tickets but I just started my job and had no time off available).

I went to the Sunday rain shortened Mariners game. It started raining after the first pitch. He and I waited until they made it official that the game was being called. We were beyond soaked after that fiasco. Driving down the DR was a pain because you couldn't see the lines because of how heavy the rain was.

HORSEs***!!!!!!!!!

There are going to be no tickets available to the public next Sat. for the Cubs/Sox series.  And any available seats are only going to season ticket holders.....

Flash.. relax. They will not sell them all to ST holders and the public will get them likely a week after the 13th. Just a delay sale. I think they want to see how much action they get without that series on sale.

I heard it on ESPN 1000 via John Rooney.  Said he recieved the information "off the wire," so any details might not be posted

I called my rep after I saw your post and he said the idea has been talked about, but not confirmed.. and then he said exactly what I posted, minus the last comment of what I think..

We don't have enough ST holders to buy the entire park up... :lol:

HORSEs***!!!!!!!!! 

There are going to be no tickets available (to the public) next Sat. for the Cubs/Sox series.  And any available seats are only going to season ticket holders.....

:fyou

That's how it should start. Season ticket holders should get more than first dibs on them. I have no problem with that.

SuperSteve, as a seasons ticket holder I agree.

It just seems to me that if a person wants a ticket for a cubs game they should have to provide proof they also bought tickets for the Tigers and Tampa Bay.

I love the full house but I also resent that for some folks their idea of supporting the Sox is to show up one weekend a year.

that is just me though.

SuperSteve, as a seasons ticket holder I agree.

It just seems to me that if a person wants a ticket for a cubs game they should have to provide proof they also bought tickets for the Tigers and Tampa Bay.

I love the full house but I also resent that for some folks their idea of supporting the Sox is to show up one weekend a year.

that is just me though.

I appreciate that sentiment, but I'm on the other side of the argument by virtue of location. I can't come in for the opening home series this year -- I have students on a field trip down to the Keys that was set in stone before I found out about a ($%#*&$%! Tuesday) home opener.

I was dealing with that OK because basically a week later the Sox were going to be down here against the D-Rays, but my wife has immutable oblications for that weekend so that's oyt.

The series down here with the Marlins in June and some subset of Games against the Tribe and then Cubs at Sox is all I can swing for a summer trip this year. I hope I or my dad or Bro scores some tix when they go on sale, but if I have to pay through the nose I'll suck it up and do it.

Between the away Fla series' and a couple of Chicago jaunts I had hoped to be taking in maybe 10 games this year (the most I had made since moving away). Now I'll be lucky to make 5 or so. Grumble grumble.

[/rant]