Bears FA thread

League sources said Kansas City Chiefs offensive tackle John Tait, the team's transition player, left Miami without signing an offer sheet and boarded a plane to Chicago for a visit Friday with the Bears at Halas Hall. After a day meeting with Dolphins officials, Tait made a decision any football fan in Chicago would consider a no-brainer: Exploring a chance to play for the Bears instead of coach Dave Wannstedt and the Dolphins. According to a team source, the Dolphins badly wanted Tait but didn't like the idea of being limited for one week in their pursuit of other potential free agents as they waited to see if the Chiefs would match the offer.

The reports I've seen is that the Chiefs would take thier sweet time deciding whether to make a matching offer.

That probably means this deal would have to wait for a week. Until all the numbers get crunched.

The Bears' backup plan to find a dominant pass rusher might lead the Bears to make a run at Adewale Ogunleye of the Dolphins. A league source said Wednesday night the Bears were one of four teams that have made inquiries about Ogunleye, a restricted free agent who had 15 sacks last season.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reports I've seen is that the Chiefs would take thier sweet time deciding whether to make a matching offer.

That probably means this deal would have to wait for a week. Until all the numbers get crunched.

the wait would be well worth it if we get him

Thats awesome..now we got to hope the Chiefs don't match. And if they don't match, and the Bears somehow have the caproom, don't be shocked if they look towards another OT or go after Big Warren Sapp.

PFT reported that if the Bears don't get Tait, then they will go after Sapp.

This is great news.  Although I think KC will match the offer.

I don't know about that one. With the amount of cap room the bears have.

33MIL over 6 years is 5.5 MIL/year. That $14MIL signing bonus is likely weighted heavily over the first two years of the contract, minimizing the threat of the Bears having to take a big cap hit down the road, and increasing the probabilty that the Chiefs will not be able to match. Although I, admittedly, don't really know KC's cap situation.

KC has about 5 mill freed up. My guess is the Bears will have to structure this deal to the opint that it would cost KC about 8 mill the first two years, meaning it would be very unlikely that they match it, because of what they would have to do to keep him.

The nice thing is, the Bears are in good position the next couple years cap wise, so they can afford to do this. The other good part is, after the 1st two years, we have a guy at a pretty damn good rate, assuming he plays at a probowl level.

He'd be a tremendous signing and I hope KC declines. But we'll have to wait the full week, I'm sure.

KC has about 5 mill freed up.  My guess is the Bears will have to structure this deal to the opint that it would cost KC about 8 mill the first two years, meaning it would be very unlikely that they match it, because of what they would have to do to keep him.

The nice thing is, the Bears are in good position the next couple years cap wise, so they can afford to do this.  The other good part is, after the 1st two years, we have a guy at a pretty damn good rate, assuming he plays at a probowl level.

He'd be a tremendous signing and I hope KC declines.  But we'll have to wait the full week, I'm sure.

If that's KC's cap number then he is as good as a Chicago Bear.

I've bashed angelo alot. But he and Phillips have the Cap thing worked out pretty well... They had Urlacher making 15MIL last season, of a 9 year 53.5 MIL deal... Urlacher makes relatively little throught the rest of the contract.

with all the room available under the cap. I'm sure that Tait's cap figure is going to be at least in the 10MIL range for the upcoming season.

If that's KC's cap number then he is as good as a Chicago Bear.

I've bashed angelo alot. But he and Phillips have the Cap thing worked out pretty well... They had Urlacher making 15MIL last season, of a 9 year 53.5 MIL deal... Urlacher makes relatively little throught the rest of the contract.

with all the room available under the cap.  I'm sure that Tait's cap figure is going to be at least in the 10MIL range for the upcoming season.

Yeah the Urlacher contract was a very good idea, gettin Tait will be a big boost to Rex Grossman. Do u think Tait will play LT or RT though, cos if the Bears don't sign another tackle, they still hav Colombo to play RT.

Yeah the Urlacher contract was a very good idea, gettin Tait will be a big boost to Rex Grossman. Do u think Tait will play LT or RT though, cos if the Bears don't sign another tackle, they still hav Colombo to play RT.

as far as i am concerned colombo is done and his career may be over so if he does come back taht would be great

Offensive Tackles

Montana's Dylan McFarland (hamstring), USC's Jacob Rogers (hamstring), Florida's Max Starks (hamstring) and Miami OT Carlos Joseph (choice) made up the group of tackles that did not run. McFarland and Starks did, however, work out. Starks was evidently extremely impressive in agility drills for a massive tackle.

The two top offensive tackle prospects did work out, with Iowa's Robert Gallery running an impressive 4.93 -- at 6-7, 323 pounds -- and Arkansas' Shawn Andrews running a 5.43 at 6-4, 366. Andrews' performance on the bench was adequate, with 27 reps and, while scouts would like him to take off some more weight, showing up at 366 pounds was a positive after rumors he had ballooned to nearly 400 pounds following the season. Gallery's bench was a bit disappointing with just 24 reps. His arms were also shorter than ideal (32º), but his workout was the best of any offensive lineman at the combine. ... South Carolina's Travelle Wharton (6-3½, 312 pounds, 5.08 40-yard dash) and Purdue's Kelly Butler (6-7æ, 320, 5.05) both helped themselves, while Georgia Tech's Nat Dorsey (6-7½, 323, 5.46) did not. ... One of the big stories of the week was Ole Miss' Stacy Andrews, who showed up at 6-5, 339 pounds, completed 34 reps on the bench press and also ran an impressive 5.06 in the 40-yard dash. Andrews was a track star at Mississippi who only played in five collegiate games, but his upside is enticing. As one pro personnel director told us, "I can't wait to get back to the office to study the hell out of those five films."

I figured reality wise they would go after Andrews. In which would not be a bad choice at all. They say he is the best run blocking OT in the draft. Gallery is a beast though. They say he is the best overall. I wonder if they trade up if they would be offering up ATrain as part of the deal.

MOCK DRAFT: Kiper's revised first-round projection | March 2

The all-star games are over, and the combine is history, and the result has been plenty of change in my first-round projection for the 2004 NFL draft. The top four have remained the same, but beyond that, the shifting continues.

1. San Diego Chargers: Eli Manning, QB, Ole Miss

The Chargers have a lot of needs, and there certainly are a number of trade scenarios San Diego could consider, but the team is not sold on Drew Brees as its QB, and Manning would be the logical choice to build around should the Chargers hold onto the top spot.

2. Oakland Raiders: *Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh

Another team with many needs. Oakland could use help at DL and S, but with an adequate show of speed in his workout, Fitzgerald could have the most impact of any player at any position for the Raiders. He has all the necessary skills.

3. Arizona Cardinals: *Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami-Ohio

Whether or not the Cardinals feel Josh McCown is an adequate QB, Roethlisberger has the potential to be special, and Arizona cannot afford to pass on an opportunity to upgrade the most important position in that way. Should the Cardinals not opt for a QB, look for them to go after a skill position player, perhaps a WR.

4. New York Giants: Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa

Gallery is a textbook left tackle who would be a huge help to QB Kerry Collins. Another player with the ability to step in as a starter and immediately fill a big need. DL and S are other need areas.

Tommie Harris had 10 tackles for loss -- including five sacks -- and 19 QB hurries in 2003.5. Washington Redskins: *Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma

DT is a critical need area for Washington, which could also use help at S or TE, but the defensive front is what requires immediate attention. Because they have limited picks early in the draft, a trade down is a distinct possibility. The Redskins could move down and still be able to fill their need at DT or go to S or TE.

6. Detroit Lions: *Sean Taylor, S, Miami-Fla.

Despite a lackluster individual workout, he is still arguably the best defensive player in the draft. The Lions sorely need a big-time player on that side of the ball, so Taylor would be an ideal fit.

7. Cleveland Browns: *Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami-Fla.

Cleveland coach Butch Davis knows the Miami program well, having been the head coach there, and Winslow would be a nice fit. He has the athletic ability to stretch the middle of the field and also flank out as a wide receiver. He could be a dynamic performer in that offense.

8. Atlanta Falcons: *Mike Williams, WR, USC

Everything depends on Williams' individual workout. If he has a better workout than Fitzgerald, he could jump to No. 2. But short of that, he still ought to crack the top 10. Michael Vick could use another weapon to go with Peerless Price, and Williams would be a perfect complement.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Roy Williams, WR, Texas

Williams has been overshadowed by some underclassmen recently, but let's not forget he was at the top of my board when the season started. He has the athleticism and maturity to learn a lot from Jimmy Smith.

10. Houston Texans: *Kenechi Udeze, DE, USC

Udeze is a combination guy who played both DE and DT in college, so he would be a great fit in Houston's 3-4 scheme. At 280 pounds with great natural skills, he is pretty much the prototype end in that system.

11. Pittsburgh Steelers: Philip Rivers, QB, N.C. State

Rivers is just the kind of QB coach Bill Cowher is looking for in Pittsburgh: smart, tough and experienced with a quick release. He could step in to challenge immediatley for the job and fill a big hole for the Steelers.

12. New York Jets: Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina

The Jets need a cover guy, and Robinson is the best available. He had a nice combine workout and a solid career with the Gamecocks, making him an excellent hole-filler for a team that needs secondary help.

13. Buffalo Bills: Will Smith, DE, Ohio State

Would give the Bills the outside pressure their defense was unable to generate last season. Buffalo also has to strongly consider CBs at this spot if they feel DE is not the way to go.

14. Chicago Bears: *Vince Wilfork, DE, Miami-Fla.

Wilfork has been skyrocketing up the board since showing up at the combine at 323 pounds. Had a good individual workout and is a potential dominator at the line of scrimmage. Better than anyone on the roster right now.

15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: *Shawn Andrews, OT, Arkansas

The best run-blocking tackle to come out in years, Andrews would be a nice way to round out the running attack in Tampa. Has the potential to destroy defenses from the right side.

16. San Francisco 49ers: *Reggie Williams, WR, Washington

At 6-3, 230, Williams could give the 49ers something nice to fall back on with the status of Terrell Owens very much up in the air. With his combo of size and speed, Williams is more or less a younger Owens.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: *DeAngelo Hall, CB, Virginia Tech

His 4.3 speed gives him not only tremendous recovery ability but makes him dangerous as a punt returner. Marvin Lewis was watching the CBs closely at the Senior Bowl, and Hall would make a lot of sense in the middle of the first round.

18. New Orleans Saints: *Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio State

New Orleans passed on Marcus Trufant last season, and Gamble would give the Saints the big corner they need so badly. He is a bigger corner with tremendous upside once he gets some experience.

19. Minnesota Vikings: Jason Babin, DE, Western Michigan

The first curveball of the draft. Babin was one of the best defensive players in the history of the Mid-America Conference, a sack artist with a great motor who was also impressive at the combine. The Vikings are looking for speed off the edge, and Babin would give them just that. My big surprise of the first round.

20. Miami Dolphins: *Michael Clayton, WR, LSU

Does not have big-time speed but is one of the toughest, most physical receivers you'll ever see. Would be perfect for a Miami team looking for a partner for Chris Chambers.

21. New England Patriots (from Baltimore): *Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State

Tweaked his knee a bit in Oregon State's Bowl game, but still the perfect back for New England. Jackson is a big back who can bounce outside and is exceptional at catching the ball out of the backfield. To get the No. 1 running back on the board with the 21st pick is an attractive bargain.

22. Dallas Cowboys: Chris Perry, RB, Michigan

Perry isn't dynamic or flashy, but he is the kind of sound runner, blocker and receiver Bill Parcells likes to have as a reliable three-down option in the backfield.

23. Seattle Seahawks: *Igor Olshansky, DT, Oregon

Showed awesome strength at the combine and also played some at DE in college. Seattle could use an upgrade on the defensive front, and Olshansky is a guy with tremendous potential. Had he gone back to school he would have been one of the top defensive players available in the 2005 draft.

24. Denver Broncos: Ben Troupe, TE, Florida

Denver would not miss a beat inserting Troupe in place of Shannon Sharpe at TE. Troupe is athletic, sure-handed and can make yards after the catch. Would be a major talent at an integral position in Denver.

25. Green Bay: *Matt Ware, DB, UCLA

Green Bay has some concerns in the secondary, so Ware makes a lot of sense with his ability to play both CB and S. He is a big, athletic kid who could provide much-needed flexibility and immediate impact.

26. St. Louis Rams: D.J. Williams, LB, Miami-Fla.

Brings speed and athleticism to the outside position and also has the ability to fill in elsewhere. There is also need along the OL and at MLB, but Williams has more to offer at his position.

27. Tennessee Titans: *Randy Starks, DT, Maryland

Robaire Smith is an unrestricted free agent, and Starks is the kind of athletic 305-pounder who would be a nice replacement. Starks could have been a top-10 pick had he returned for his senior year and would be a nice bargain at No. 27 this year.

28. Philadelphia Eagles: Lee Evans, WR, Wisconsin

WR was Philadelphia's Achilles heel in the playoffs, and Evans would be an immediate upgrade. He answered questions about his surgically repaired kneed with a 4.37 in the 40 at the combine and would be just the help Philly QB Donovan McNabb is looking for.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Marcus Tubbs, DT, Texas

The Colts need an interior presence to help stuff the run, and Tubbs is an athletic player who would give them some surge up front. If he can sustain his intensity level for 60 minutes, Tubbs has Pro Bowl potential.

30. Kansas City Chiefs: *Ahmad Carroll, CB, Arkansas

Was a shutdown corner for the Razorbacks and showed good speed at the combine. The Chiefs were completely destroyed by Peyton Manning in the playoffs and need big-time help in coverage, which is just what Carroll provides.

31. Carolina Panthers: Will Poole, CB, USC

The Carolina CBs did a nice job last year and benefited tremendously from a great pass rush. Still, Poole would come in right away and challenge for a starting position as a technically-sound, extremely instinctive cover man.

32. New England Patriots: Vernon Carey, OL, Miami

Carey started at both G and T for the Hurricanes and would give the Patriots some options as a flexible backup. With two picks in each of the first two rounds, the Patriots are in a position this year to draft some quality young depth.