How was E-Lo today?

SoxFan1

Ditto here. Our team got crushed today by Clark (18-0!!) So I didn't see the game eigher. Can someone give me the full highlights of today's game? My friend (cub fan) told me the sox lost and my teammates were laughing cause they were cub fans. Thank god I went to soxtalk and found out we won.

Ditto here. Our team got crushed today by Clark (18-0!!) So I didn't see the game eigher. Can someone give me the full highlights of today's game? My friend (cub fan) told me the sox lost and my teammates were laughing cause they were cub fans. Thank god I went to soxtalk and found out we won.

:o 18-0. I would give an update, but I had baseball as well and missed it.

Just my opinion, but E-Lo didn't look as sharp as he has been in the past. He had a few control issues in the early innings. But he settled down and was pretty effective until the 7th when Ozzie pulled him. He also made his pitches when he needed to, and the Sox played good defense behind him.

Loaiza struggled when he tried to be too fine with his offspeed stuff. It looked like he was tiring in the 5th [getting near his pitch count limit]. Yet when he got in trouble [the 5th, 1st and 3rd, 1 out] he threw heat and they couldn't touch him. He pitched a 1,2, 3 6th by throwing heat as well.

He needs to throw his FB more to set up his cutter.

Overall, pretty decent outing.

PS. The umps called a pretty tight zone [for both teams]

He won didn't he? He had a quality start, didn't he?

He was solid. Good stuff, bad location. I didn't see the whole game, but that was basically how it went, or so it seemed.

As beck pointed out, once he started throwing the heater more often, he became more effective. Ozzie left him in the 6th to see if he could get Guiel, and he walked him, and that was the end of his day.

Two games down for Ozzie, and still no mistakes as far as I'm concerned. That's the thing I'm happiest about. I figured Jerry would have made 4 or 5 dumbass moves by now.

Let's face it: Sox have no ace

They have pretty good #2 and #3 in E-Lo and Marky-Malarkey, but nobody to scare people with., esp in the playoffs.

Hopefully JR is smart to realize that mid-way through the season, he'll need to spend a few Mill (on top of good prospects) on the Hudson type, which would also allow Garland to slide into #4 which suits his talents more and Show/Wright into #5

They have pretty good #2 and #3 in E-Lo and Marky-Malarkey, but nobody to scare people with., esp in the playoffs.

Hopefully JR is smart to realize that mid-way through the season, he'll need to spend a few Mill (on top of good prospects) on the Hudson type, which would also allow Garland to slide into #4 which suits his talents more and Show/Wright into #5

and who is this mystery ace we are talking about???

We don't have an intimidator if that's what you're sayin. But it was just 2 years ago that Mark Buehrle was an inning away from 20 wins. Loaiza won 21 gms last year. If those 2 can combine to close to 40 wins to go along with the expected improvment of Jon Garland "15-18" wins will have a dynamite 1-2-3- front of the rotation. Now the last 2 spots r obviously question marks. But if we're in it or even in front by June, I guarantee will go out and get another quality starter...

No, the Yanks managed a split with the powerhouse Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Dunno if that bodes well for us or not. I am definately not too excited about throwing Scott Schoeneweis out there today. Heres to hoping he proves me wrong.

We don't have an intimidator if that's what you're sayin.  But it was just 2 years ago that Mark Buehrle was an inning away from 20 wins.  Loaiza won 21 gms last year.  If those 2 can combine to close to 40 wins to go along with the expected improvment of Jon Garland "15-18" wins will have a dynamite  1-2-3- front of the rotation.  Now the last 2 spots r obviously question marks.  But if we're in it or even in front by June, I guarantee will go out and get another quality starter...

I understand what you're saying, but we won't win in the postseason with Loaiza-Buehrle-Garland as our 1-2-3. Playoffs is a possibility, but winning when we get there is virtually not.

I've mentioned Kip Wells, but I had not even considered the Athletics. Their offense is much weaker this year, and if they are out at the break, they could be dealing. I'd take one(or two) of Hudson, Mulder, and Zito.

Brando as ever the optimist...

I had Sox winning the division with 90+ games this season. Optimist is damn right.

E-lo wasn't particularly good. Neither was Buerhle. And yet both were still leaps and bounds better than Show today in terms of pitch quality and location.

Deal with it.

We don't have an intimidator if that's what you're sayin.  But it was just 2 years ago that Mark Buehrle was an inning away from 20 wins.  Loaiza won 21 gms last year.  If those 2 can combine to close to 40 wins to go along with the expected improvment of Jon Garland "15-18" wins will have a dynamite  1-2-3- front of the rotation.  Now the last 2 spots r obviously question marks.  But if we're in it or even in front by June, I guarantee will go out and get another quality starter...

Mark Buehle's days of being an ace are over IMO. The league knows him too well and no longer chases that back door curve or slider low-in quite as much. He is still a good young pitcher, a 3.60-3.70 ERA type.

Loaiza is someone you just can't project. Last year he was an ace. The rest fo his career - basically a solid #4.

Garland? Come on -- he is a dumbass with no heart until proven otherwise.

The good news is that this division is even worse than I thought. Even the Sox will have to try hard not to win it.

But what do we do in the playoffs once we're matched up against the Carmines or the Yanks? Ok, if Koch is back then our bullpen is tolerable. If Krnny gets Roberts, outr hitting will be pretty good. All we're missing from being a LEGITIMATE WORLD SERIES CONTENDER is an ace.

Over the full season, getting one is out of the question since Reiny won't pay. But at the trade deadline, having thrown in Ryan Wing-type prospects, there might be a team out there who will give up a Javier Vasquez type --- naturally at a prorated cost.