Rotoworld's take on Felix Diaz & Jon Rauch:

CSF

Felix Diaz - S - CWS  Apr. 10 - 4:08 pm et

Felix Diaz gave up two hits in seven scoreless innings for Triple-A Charlotte yesterday.

The more time that Neal Cotts spends in the bullpen, the more likely it is that either Jon Rauch or Diaz will spend time in the White Sox rotation this year. Rauch, who pitched well in Thursday's opener for Charlotte, has to be viewed as the sixth starter right now.

Cotts has pitched in exactly 1 game for 1 inning and they're ready to relegate him to full time bullpen duty? Not likely. Though it's great to see that in case DWright or Shoney slip up, there might be 2 available options in Charlotte to go with Cotts in the 'pen.

Cotts is absolutely next in line for a starting spot, expecially if the spot he takes is Schoe's...

Unless it happens soon, it makes sense. The longer that Neal works out of the pen, the less he will be stretched out compared to Rauch/Diaz. If the Sox were smart they would match up either Rauch or Diaz to be pitching on the same day as Scho just to be safe.

If you go by statistical numbers the Sox would have one of the better farms systems in the league. But since, Baseball America's rankings are based on age and potential, guys like Felix Diaz, Josh Stewart and Jon Rauch get overlooked. They aren't young and filled with potential, but they solid and couls help the Sox if needed during games and in trade value; maybe for Orlando Cabrera from Montreal (sorry Jose just doesn't do it.)

If you go by statistical numbers the Sox would have one of the better farms systems in the league.  But since, Baseball America's rankings are based on age and potential, guys like Felix Diaz, Josh Stewart and Jon Rauch get overlooked.  They aren't young and filled with potential, but they solid and couls help the Sox if needed during games and in trade value; maybe for Orlando Cabrera from Montreal (sorry Jose just doesn't do it.)

Very true. If a guy like Ross Gload was 21, he would be one of the top 25-30 prospects in all the minor leagues...

Very true.  If a guy like Ross Gload was 21, he would be one of the top 25-30 prospects in all the minor leagues...

Maybe, maybe not. I didn't like him chasing pitches toward the end of ST.

He did have a stretch while in the Cubs farm system where he hit 14 homers in 25 games or something like that. Absolutely sick.

But then again, Brooks Keishnick had a scarily live bat and look at what he's amounted to.

I think the guy who wrote this article is forgetting one thing.  Cotts is in the bullpen because he's a good pitcher.  It's not because he can't cut it as a starter.

Exactly. Neal Cotts has one bad outing, and he's condemed to the bullpen for the rest of his career?

Neal should be in the starting 5 either by the end of this year (god forbid an injury or Wright is Wrong) or the begginning of next year. this guy has some filthy stuff.

Maybe we are going to do with Cotts what we did to Buehrle in 2000, keep him in the pen for a while, let him perfect his control and get used to the bigs.

Just a thought.

A lot of teams break in young starters to be via the pen.

The Sox usually don't.

But, I like the idea- gives the youngster a new experience before joining the starting 5.

If you go by statistical numbers the Sox would have one of the better farms systems in the league.  But since, Baseball America's rankings are based on age and potential, guys like Felix Diaz, Josh Stewart and Jon Rauch get overlooked.  They aren't young and filled with potential, but they solid and couls help the Sox if needed during games and in trade value; maybe for Orlando Cabrera from Montreal (sorry Jose just doesn't do it.)

Talk about an underrated player right there, Orlando Cabrera. The past three seasons, he's hit .260+, last year he even hit 297 with around a 350 OBP IIRC. I would take any of their two middle infielders, Cabrera or Vidro, in a heartbeat. But if Harris keeps this up, we'd only need to make a move for a SS.

What's Cabrera's contract situation?

Cabrera is cheap for this year, which I believe is his last in his contract. I could see the Sox trading Jose, Felix and Rauch for this guy. We probably have to pay all of Jose's contract, but I'd take a sure handed SS, with some pop. And with the Sox his numbers would be that much better. However if we go after him, we'd most likely be in a bidding war with the Cubs, who can easily offer more highly-touted prospects.

maggsmaggs is right. Orlando becomes a free agent at the end of the season. I think he makes similar money to Jose this year.

As far as rotoworld goes, they are fools. Cotts is the next in line for that gig. If Rauch was looked upon that way by the organization, he'd have a starting gig and would of been given more of a chance.

I think the Sox want to see Rauch really step it up and show he's healthy. As far as Diaz, I like him. He's going to fit in sooner or later.

Nothing wrong with keeping Cotts in the pen to get him better acquainted with league and build his confidence. I would think he is slated for the rotation, but maybe next year. I like how teams like Astros start kids out in the pen for a year or more and then put them in rotation.

Rauch may end up starting if he is promoted, but I would like to see Diaz relieve first too.

Cotts may have to stay in pen for the year or until Munoz or someone is ready as LH reliever, especially if Damaso is not ok. Have not heard he is not, but he seems off, has been all spring.

Lets hope Schoeneweis and Wright keep their spots and we do not need another pitcher this year, except in the pen.

Jose does it for me, considering he is the only LH power we have and he is better then most feel defensively(though he has had three dumb errors in the past two games).

Nothing wrong with keeping Cotts in the pen to get him better acquainted with league and build his confidence. I would think he is slated for the rotation, but maybe next year. I like how teams like Astros start kids out in the pen for a year or more and then put them in rotation.

Rauch may end up starting if he is promoted, but I would like to see Diaz relieve first too.

Cotts may have to stay in pen for the year or until Munoz or someone is ready as LH reliever, especially if Damaso is not ok. Have not heard he is not, but he seems off, has been all spring.

Lets hope Schoeneweis and Wright keep their spots and we do not need another pitcher this year, except in the pen.

I don't think Cotts has anything more to learn in the minors. A period, months or a year, of living in the bigs exposed to guys who get big baseball stars out with less talent than he has, and some good outings like today mixed in can do his development a lot of good. After last year's Yankee melt down, and the Anahiem one before, I wouldn't rush him into the rotation.

Reminds of a story from years ago, I was in a bunch of meetings with senior VP's who terrified me. During a break I went to the can and the room smelled like a cattle barn. Then one of the most senior VP's emerged from a stall. I realized that their s*** stinks too, and have never been intimidated by big reputations since.