It won't be long

aboz56

It's inevitable, this guy is going to hit his way into the centerfield spot and soon...

Looking at his latest stats, the guy is hitting at a .388 clip 12 games into the season, slugging .515 and his OBP is .415. If he does this for the next 10-15 games or so, I'll say he gets the call.

Not to take anything away from Rowand, but I feel we need his lefthanded bat in our lineup and this is a guy that appears destined to be a good hitter at the ML level for a while to come...

:headbang :headbang :headbang Jeremy Reed

BTW, here's a link to the International League batting leaders:

http://milb.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnfor...eague=INT,page=

It all depends on Rowand, and if a contract gets done with Maggs.  If Row starts to hit, and if a contract gets done with Maggs, it will be Sept before Reed gets a call up.

I don't agree here, I think if Reed continues to hit, it's hard to keep him in AAA when he can help the big club. Aaron Rowand is not viewed as a long term solution in the outfield for the White Sox with Reed, Sweeney, Anderson and even Borchard forming one of the deepest outfields in the minor leagues. I don't think it really matters concerning the Magglio situation. Even if no Mags deal is in place but the Sox are in 1st, they are going to go for it rather than dealing Magglio and then try to resign him after the season is over. I don't really see the point in leaving a guy who has hit in the high .300's everywhere he's been in AAA, if your goal is to have the best team possible.

I don't agree here, I think if Reed continues to hit, it's hard to keep him in AAA when he can help the big club.  Aaron Rowand is not viewed as a long term solution in the outfield for the White Sox with Reed, Sweeney, Anderson and even Borchard forming one of the deepest outfields in the minor leagues.  I don't think it really matters concerning the Magglio situation.  Even if no Mags deal is in place but the Sox are in 1st, they are going to go for it rather than dealing Magglio and then try to resign him after the season is over.  I don't really see the point in leaving a guy who has hit in the high .300's everywhere he's been in AAA, if your goal is to have the best team possible.

My point is that they want these guys to play everyday. And if Rowand is hitting, the job is his. KW himself said he wants Reed playing everyday. I really think they don't want to rush Reed, and that the bad showing in ST (.214) will be in the back of KWs mind.

So if Rowand is still hitting around or below .260 in a month and Reed still hitting above .350 in AAA, do we still keep Reed in the minors?

If Rowand is producing at the bottom of the lineup with runs and rbis and he is playing steallar OF. I dont think KW will mess things up by brining Reed

As well as Reed is doing, it pays for the Sox to leave him in AAA as long as possible. It cuts down on options used, if that ever becomes an issue. It also pushes back his accumulated service time till he is closer to his prime. It keeps him ineligible for arbitration and keeps him from becoming free agent eligible as soon. Which, in turn, keeps payroll down so that those "missing pieces" can be picked up when we need them.

unless they are in real need for him, i say let him get his AB's in AAA. it is not like the Sox are suffering with the bat. it would be smarter to let him stay in AAA and get another 300 AB's than sit on a bench up here. unless Rowand starts to pull a Clayton and suck ass, he will be in CF most of the time.

My point is that they want these guys to play everyday.  And if Rowand is hitting, the job is his.  KW himself said he wants Reed playing everyday.  I really think they don't want to rush Reed, and that the bad showing in ST (.214) will be in the back of KWs mind.

Unless Rowand totally craps out, I don't want to see Reed up.

Let him polish his swing and batting eye against AAA scrubs, and gain confidence heading into 2005. Sox will get an extra year of service out of him as well. :)

If Rowand and Timo's combined OPS is not over 750 a month from now, and if Reed's AAA OPS is well into 900's by then....Then call him up.

Otherwise.....Brian Roberts is struggling, so KW might pick him up for real cheap to light some fire under Willie's ass.

I think Reed is up by the end of May.  I like Rowand, but Reed will supply what this offense needs, a #2 hole hitter with some speed that will allow Jose to move down in the order to help break up all the right handed bats.

Agreed on all counts.

A great lefthanded bat in the two hole won't be left in Charlotte...

If Willie and Uribe continue to give us >0.275 consistently throughout the season, and if Reed can successfully become the CF (or at leats replace Timo for the 4th outfielder spot who plays against right handed pitching), our needs at trade deadline will strictly be pitching - one starter and one stud reliever

I don't know why, but I think if we need a CFer, we'll get a rent-a-player, much like last year.

Not sure who, not sure when, not sure at what cost. One reason could be one brought up by Brando...we then get an extra year out of him if we keep him in the minors all year(I assume years don't count if they get a September call-up...am I wrong in thinking that? If so...meh. Leave him in the minors)

We let him get fine-tuned in AAA, and he is stoked to have a damn fine year in 2005 with the big league club...hopefully he can put up Angel Berroa of 2003-esque numbers.

I don't know why, but I think if we need a CFer, we'll get a rent-a-player, much like last year.

Not sure who, not sure when, not sure at what cost.  One reason could be one brought up by Brando...we then get an extra year out of him if we keep him in the minors all year(I assume years don't count if they get a September call-up...am I wrong in thinking that?  If so...meh.  Leave him in the minors)

We let him get fine-tuned in AAA, and he is stoked to have a damn fine year in 2005 with the big league club...hopefully he can put up Angel Berroa of 2003-esque numbers.

Good points there and that's one helluva sig you've got there...

:headbang :headbang :headbang

It's inevitable, this guy is going to hit his way into the centerfield spot and soon...

Looking at his latest stats, the guy is hitting at a .388 clip 12 games into the season, slugging .515 and his OBP is .415.  If he does this for the next 10-15 games or so, I'll say he gets the call.

Not to take anything away from Rowand, but I feel we need his lefthanded bat in our lineup and this is a guy that appears destined to be a good hitter at the ML level for a while to come...

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang Jeremy Reed

BTW, here's a link to the International League batting leaders:

http://milb.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnfor...eague=INT,page=

irrespective of the thread's basic argument,

I love thread titles that are the names of Beatles songs!

I am very anxious to see Jeremy Reed play.

Good points there and that's one helluva sig you've got there...

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang

You can thank the cheat for the sig...he's good as hell at that stuff. He just put it up after Maggs's walk-off and I claimed it.

Just to make it clear...I am not against calling up Reed by any means. If he came up and can have a Miguel Cabera or Andruw Jones type effect on the team, then by God do it. However, if he cannot...I think letting him fine-tune his swing, see more pitches, etc, etc, etc at AAA for one year would be the best thing to do.

Good, intelligent and friendly banter, the staple of Soxtalk...

I love it...

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang

You are right and add to that the banter is respectful and the give and take knowledgable. First and foremost we are Sox fans.

Now my two cents: I like our future outfield, but I think Jeremy Reed and Anderson need their seasoning in the minors still. I like Borchard being called up first, but A-Row is the man in centerfield right now.

I have never seen Rowand play "stellar" OF.  Sorry, I just feel he is average at best  :huh

I don't think you have seen enough baseball then.

Aaron Rowand, while not possessing the greatest range, does actually have pretty good range. I remember watching the Yanks-Sox series and seeing Rowand easily get to balls that Bernie Williams let drop in, and Williams range IMO is probably just a little below average.

I think we are almost spoiled. We have Lee in LF, who has gone from a defensive liability to being one of the best defensive LFers in the game, Rowand who is above-average defensive in CF, Maggs who is average, and then Harris who is exceptional due to his God-given talent and being able to read the balls well. Those 2 in CF made Everett look like he had s*** for range in CF last year, when really Everett's range is right around mediocre too.

Of course I'm all for having Reed get the job in the bigs. :) But I think we should let him stay at AAA alittle longer. If he's still tearing the cover off the ball by May/June, then he gets his shot. (That's if A-Row is hitting .300 or better)