Rob Gallas

Dick Allen

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Tribune, Gallas has resigned after 15 years in the organization.

Rob Gallas has resigned as White Sox senior vice president, marketing and broadcasting, after nearly 15 years.

"It was a very difficult decision, but it's time for a change and new challenges," said Gallas in a statement from the team. "I need to take a step back, and this seemed like the time to do it. The 2004 marketing plan is set and everything is in place for the season."

"Rob's creativity, enthusiasm and contributions to the White Sox will be remembered here for a long time," said Jerry Reinsdorf. "From the redesign of our team uniforms and colors in 1990 to innovative and fun promotions like Turn Back the Clock, Dog Day, Elvis Night and Sleepover Night, Rob's first priority always was creating fun for Sox fans."

Gallas directed the marketing efforts in the top attendance decade in Sox history, as the team drew nearly 20 million fans in the 1990s. Eight of the team's 10 attendance marks have come since 1990, and the team's eight sellouts in 2000 were the most in Sox history.

This is good news to me.  In my honest opinion, I always thought that most of his promotions were dopey (dog days?).  Plus, I once saw him yelling at a couple kids at SoxFest a few years back.  Honest truth.

Good riddance, I say.

Dog days, Elvis nights.....blech.

The sleepover is a good idea.....must not be his....

Way too much reliance on the fireworks this year, too.

I hope the next guy copycats the jersey giveaways - I'd LOVE to have a chance to win a Dick Allen or Luis Aparicio jersey.

Dog days, Elvis nights.....blech.

The sleepover is a good idea.....must not be his....

Way too much reliance on the fireworks this year, too.

I hope the next guy copycats the jersey giveaways - I'd LOVE to have a chance to win a Dick Allen or Luis Aparicio jersey.

At least Elvis night was comically bad. The dog days was just plain dumb. Why the hell would I want to bring my dog to a baseball game, other than to get it drunk?

To each his own, I guess. :huh

That is the best news I have heard in a long time

maybe we will get some real advertizing now

Say bye-bye to the sleepover, dog day, Elvis night, Turn back the clock, etc.. while they didn't pan out as well as one would have liked he did come up with some great ideas.

Say bye-bye to the sleepover, dog day, Elvis night, Turn back the clock, etc.. while they didn't pan out as well as one would have liked he did come up with some great ideas.

they better continue with the sleep over!

sure he had some ideas

but not many, not enough

"these kids can play" was a horrific slogan and did he ever come up with a real viable media campaign any season?

Elvis night did not work for me, Caribbean Night was ok, I'm not going to knock a few specifics, juist his over all job performance

what was his job qualification, getting mugged once?

I realize that since I heard he was gone, I have been "Dancing in the Streets"

:headbang :headbang :headbang

they better continue with the sleep over!

sure he had some ideas

but not many, not enough

"these kinds can play" was a horrific slogan and did he ever come up with a real viable media campaign any season?

Elvis night did not work for me, Caribbean Night was ok, I'm not going to knock a few specifics, juist his over all job performance

what was his job qualification, getting mugged once?

I realize that since I heard he was gone, I have been "Dancing in the Streets"

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang

What's not good for you, is good for others.

You're comments are a bit harsh.... don't ya think? You think Rob Gallas is SOLELY responsible for ALL things corney relating to the Sox..? C'mon Vince.. you aren't that niave?

You're comments are a bit harsh.... don't ya think? You think Rob Gallas is SOLELY responsible for ALL things corney relating to the Sox..? C'mon Vince.. you aren't that niave?

CW will never gorgive Gallas for not having a Beatles Reunion night :lol:

Steff, please

I didn't dump on Elvis night, I said it didn't work for me, I didn't say that was a bad idea, and there is no way I am criticising things that do not work for me, I just said Elvis Night didn't work for me - there was no judgment there

and no where did I say that he was responsible for all things corney but he had a job and he was responsible for his share

don't be naive back at you

if he is a friend of yours I am sorry but I have disliked the way he did his job for years

don't be naive that we have had the best pr campaigns ever in his tenure

we didn't have one good one

Steff, please

I didn't dump on Elvis night, I said it didn't work for me, I didn't say that was a bad idea, and there is no way I am criticising things that do not work for me, I just said Elvis Night didn't work for me - there was no judgment there

and no where did Im say that he was responsible for all things corney but he had a job and he was responsible for his share

don't be naive back at you

if he is a friend of yours I am sorry but I have disliked the way he did his job for years

don't be naive that we have had the best pr campaigns ever in his tenure

we didn't have one good one

No, I wouldn't call him a friend.. personality wise, he's not my cup of tea.

Harsh - referring to your comment

"what was his job qualification, getting mugged once?"

And I didn't say you dumped on anything.. don't put words in my mouth.

And I didn't say you said he is responsible for all things corney.. that was a question.

I think Gallas did some good things, but recently the Sox marketing has struggled. He's probably being scapegoated and it doesn't help that the team grossly underachieved the past few seasons. Also, JR's dislike by the general fans is another thing he can't really fix.

IF Jr ever started having more face time talking about the organization and just really making himself sound more like a fan and how he wants to win (sincerely, not just bulls***) then I think it would do a big part in getting fans back. I know big signings and actions speak louder then words, but if he starts making the right comments and then signs guys like Maggs to contracts and makes a genuine effort over the next few years to up payroll and make this team better and better, then I think thats what it will take. If it fails after that, then I think the Sox need new ownership and a fresh start to regain the market.

Its going to be tough, they have lost a market at a point when the Cubs fandom is growing ever so astronomically.

So do you guys think this was a forced resignation or did Gallas just have enough? He's been here for 15 years, attendance is horrid compared to the sCruBS so far (and this point was mentioned in several Chicagoland papers), Sox popularity as a whole is down. If I'm JR, I'd force him out.

He's head of marketing, which has been a huge failure. He's head of broadcasting, which atleast on the radio has been a gaggle. Good riddance.

Steff, the last thing I am going to do is argue with a very special person to me about Rob Gallas of all people.

I am going dancing tonight - at least will be extra energetic at aerobics and really blissful in yoga and may ever have a toast to his departure and I wish him well wherever he goes because he is gone and that's all I wanted regarding him

Those who wish to be sad at his departure are perfecting entitled.

So do you guys think this was a forced resignation or did Gallas just have enough?  He's been here for 15 years, attendance is horrid compared to the sCruBS so far (and this point was mentioned in several Chicagoland papers), Sox popularity as a whole is down.  If I'm JR, I'd force him out. 

He's head of marketing, which has been a huge failure.  He's head of broadcasting, which atleast on the radio has been a gaggle.  Good riddance.

I think he wanted to quit after 2001, and has been trying to get out ever since. :lol:

Jas, Gallas sucked at his job.

There were other facts to be very sure which we have discussed at length but when the cubs ran away with Chicago from the Sox was in his tenure.

He sucked.

I ask blessing on him where he goes next because as a human being he is worth that, I just didn't think he did his job remotely well