The Continuing Decline & Fall of Mark Buehrle

C.Rector

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
I just got finished reading the thread. I agree. Having a career year and doing it against teams in low pressure situations.

he's had a bad month and a half, period, no matter who he's played.

But i'ms ure you'll say the same thing in like 5 other threads today too

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
he's had a bad month and a half, period, no matter who he's played. 

But i'ms ure you'll say the same thing in like 5 other threads today too

No I'll be discussing how Jon Garland has become the real ace of this team. Not being defeated by elite teams and finally has found out how to deal with pressure situations. Garland > Buehrle. I don't care who flames me either.

QUOTE(C.Rector @ Apr 21, 2004 -> 02:36 AM)
Following is the the three year decline of starter Mark Buehrle as evidenced by his stats from 2001, 2002 and 2003 (in order):

ERA: 3.29, 3.58, 4.14

K/BB: 2.63, 2.20, 1.95

K/9IP: 5.12, 5.05, 4.65

BAA: .230, .260, .278

Buehrle’s decline is an indication that his arm is getting progressively tired. One would think that the Sox would opt to limit Buehrle to no more than 5 innings per start or to a strict pitch limit in the 75-100 range or perhaps even place him in the bullpen in order to at least lengthen out his quality service for the team. This is especially the case since Buehrle recently signed a 3-yr. $18 Mil. in guraranteed money contract with the Sox. However, the Sox have not evinced any awareness of Buehrle’s decline and appear to have their problematic pitcher on course towards lengthened stays on the mound.

Up until last night's disaster at Comiskey Park vs. the Yankees, Buehrle was throwing an average 112 pitches per game.  Folks, this is Dusty Baker territory.  Unless Guillen institutes a strict pitch count on Buehrle, his decline will only continue to worsen.

buerhle's record has been sweet though. and if hes in decline, why did he start the all star game? could it be that you are just another catastrophizer who is trying to make something out of nothing?

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
buerhle's record has been sweet though. and if hes in decline, why did he start the all star game? could it be that you are just another catastrophizer who is trying to make something out of nothing?

A players W-L record is the most misleading stat when looking at a pitcher. Is it important? Sure. You want a guy who can raise it up a notch in a close game. But let's look at a pitcher who went 16-14 last year with a 2.6 ERA, 10.62 K/9, 6.59 K/BB, and held batters to a .197 average

This year, his record is up to 11-7, but his ERA has jumped up by more than 1.5, his K rate has dropped by 2, his K/BB rate is now at 4.75, and batters are hitting .265

His main peripherals are going down, symptomatic of a man who, at the age of 41, is starting to deal with an aging body and less movement on his slider. But look! His record has improved. I'm surprised no one is talking about Randy Johnson's renaissance this year.

No I'll be discussing how Jon Garland has become the real ace of this team

Good for Jon. I'm happy for Jon if he is indeed our ace.

But so what? Mark B has been a stud for this team and had a bad night in a hitters ballpark. Big frickin deal.

In the big picture of things he's been awesome this year!

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
No I'll be discussing how Jon Garland has become the real ace of this team. Not being defeated by elite teams and finally has found out how to deal with pressure situations. Garland > Buehrle. I don't care who flames me either.

LMFAO, yeah Jon has looked sooooooooo much better than Mark against the Red Sox :P

I hope you don't care who flames you because your whole premise is crap. :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
LMFAO, yeah Jon has looked sooooooooo much better than Mark against the Red Sox :P

I hope you don't care who flames you because your whole premise is crap. :bang

I don't. I was obviously wrong. We have no one who can shut them down. Our pitching is overrated. Probably because of the poor offenses we faced in our own division. It's obvious our pitching isn't as good as advertised. All I know is that come playoff time, I wouldn't bet on a White Sox advancement.

And you were saying?

Yessir.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
I don't. I was obviously wrong. We have no one who can shut them down. Our pitching is overrated. Probably because of the poor offenses we faced in our own division. It's obvious our pitching isn't as good as advertised. All I know is that come playoff time, I wouldn't bet on a White Sox advancement.

Just jump off of the Skyway Bridge and get it over with. :crying

Top 5 (in MLB) or better in wins, ERA, BAA, OPS, WHIP.

I guess stats are overrated.

And since you declare the season's already over. Leave. Stop watching.

look whose ERA is better

Buehrle: 2.96

Garland: 3.40's

Buehrle is the best pitcher in chicago. He is a real ace unlike Garland who while having a career year is more of a number 2 because his ERA is about a run higher than Buehrle's. Garcia is a number 1-2 on any given day. on the other side of town prior is the only thing close to a true ace and his numbers aren't spectacular. Zambrano has no.1 stuff but he has a ten cent head. And don't even get me started on Kerry Wood.

I've not read all the posts, from what I have I'd like to say this entire thread is ridiculous. Buehrle is clearly in what is his best year, after having his worst two years ago in front of a porous defense, and improving last year. Perhaps his pitch count ranges somewhat high sometimes, but he is not a flamethrowing pitcher, so elbow and shoulder problem risks are minimized. People are now looking for things to complain about with this team, and if you have to do that, you should just shut the hell up and be happy we're in first place.

Oh, please... :headshake

During the 6th inning of the fateful Oakland start, Mark's ERA dropped to 2.30.

Now thinnk about it: about to go to 11-1....ERA+ of about 200.... just 26 years old, historically the BEGINNING of pitching prime.

Our expectations were too effin' high, in retrospect. Mark is not Maddux at his peak, he is not Pedro. Not yet, anyway. He was bound to come down to the mortal coil at some point.

Now that he has, with his change-up/curve-ball totally betraying him, people are once again starting to hum the "he's a glorified #3" tune....

It's time for Mark to reel off 6-7 straight wins, finish Top 3 in Cy Young voting, sneak up on the overconfident A's/Sawks sluggers in October.... and shut the M'Fing doubters until at least 2008 when he decamps for St. Louis.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)

Holy crap you are ridiculous.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Not as ridiculous as Buehrle probably losing Tuesday Night against Santana.

I'm still waiting for this thread you were going to create about Buehrle not being an ace. You realize you can't find anything to back it up?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
Not as ridiculous as Buehrle probably losing Tuesday Night against Santana.

i know i don't speak just for myself on this one:

you have jumped many posters to be the most annoying person on this board.

i'd hate to see what you are like during an 02 type season.