Why are you a Sox fan?

wsbaseball

A lot of good stories.

I became a Sox fan the same way my dad did...my older brother was a Sox fan. My dad was about 10 in 1959 and his brother got him into the Sox. When I was just a youngun I claimed to be an A's fan, mainly because of McGwire and Canseco. Then my brother got me into the Sox in the early 90s and I've become the biggest Sox fan in my family.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first game was at Exibition Stadium in Toronto in 88', I didn't like Toronto cause everyone in Canada did for no reason, so I being a smartass cheered for the White Sox, really wasn't as much of a baseball fan until the 1990ish when the Sox were getting good and Toronto was also so I had a bit of rivalry to fuel me along. Stuck with it since and shall never change, sadly enough the White Sox are tied as my most pathetic favorite pro sports team since none of mine have won in my lifetime.

Here's the story:

In 1983 in grade school, ordered a baseball book from Scholastic (the little rainbow order form they used to give out where you paid up front and received the books you ordered about a month later). The first picture I saw in the book was Carlton Fisk. Later, as a result of perfect attendance for the semester, I received 2 White Sox tickets from my school. Went to the game a week later at Old Comiskey Park and watched Fisk blast a home run in the bottom of the 9th to win it. The rest is history.

I was raised a Sox fan. My father became a fan in '59 and it's been Sox for me for as long as I can remember. As a tyke, I had a bulliten board over my bed that had an 8x10 of Fox and Aparicio, which was surrounded by Sox baseball cards. Then, the first time I walked into White Sox Park, as it was called at the time, sealed my fate.

Sox Fan For Life! :headbang

:fthecubs

:usa

The Cubs were on when I wanted to watch cartoons.  :fthecubs

You have no idea how that pissed me off when I was a little guy.

Right when I was all set to watch Transformers or G.I. Joe or Thundercats the freekin Flubbs would start playing. What made it worse is when it was raining and they put those shows on during the delay, then right when the cartoons got good the game would start back up again.

You have no idea how that pissed me off when I was a little guy.

Right when I was all set to watch Transformers or G.I. Joe or Thundercats the freekin Flubbs would start playing.  What made it worse is when it was raining and they put those shows on during the delay, then right when the cartoons got good the game would start back up again.

I f***ing loved those shows...ya know what I did hate, when SportsCenter would have all the baseball highlights...who knew, baseball is my favorite now. :)

My dad's family were all Sox fans. My uncle often took me to games, especially at Old Comiskey. I loved the Sox and brainwashing probably had quite a bit to do with it. My mother's side of the family were all big sCrUB fans. There was naturally quite a bit of ribbing. Each year I would bet my grandma $1 on the windy city classic. I used to look forward to that game every year for that reason.

Incidentally, kind of OT here, but I live down in OK and was sporting my Choke t-shirt the other day at the grocery store. The shirt is a pretty novel item down this way so I take pride in pimping it around town, especially with the surprisingly strong Cub fan base here. Anyways, the dude at the checkout compliments the shirt and says to me, "oh, don't like chicago baseball, do ya?". After shooting him a very dirty look I told him I was a Chicago White Sox fan.

born, raised on the NW side

Me too, and yet, I'm a Sox fan.

My dad was a Sox fan, so that automatically made me a Sox fan. He grew up on Cleveland street, within a mile or two of Wrigley Field. He used to tell me all these stories about how he'd go to Cubs games just to root against them :ph34r: He loved Roberto Clemente. He used to approach Clemente to the point where Roberto recognized him after a while. He still has all of these programs with his autograph.

Here's the story:

In 1983 in grade school, ordered a baseball book from Scholastic (the little rainbow order form they used to give out where you paid up front and received the books you ordered about a month later).

That's the same reason I'm a Denver Broncos fan, except it wasn't a pic of Fisk, it was Elway. :D

My Uncle took me to my first game in '81. I was 7. They played Boston and lost. There was a race around the track before the game. The song on the radion on the way there was "Queen of Hearts." Don't ask me how or why I remember that.

Everybody on my baseball team was a Cubs fan. It all seemed too easy. Our coach was such a Cubs fan our uniforms were blue pin stripes and our eam bus was painted with white pin stripes.

Then I was able to go to games on my own. Night games were so much cooler, and cooler. The South Side Hit men, singing with Nancy, waving to Veeck, I was hooked.

I was born and raised about a mile from Wrigley Field, but my Dad was always a White Sox fan, and he raised me right. Now I live in the Southwest Suburbs, where I don't have to deal with nearly so many Cub fans. I don't think I could have survived last year on the Northwest side. (Although the ending would have worked for me.)

I love these kind of stories...

Absolutely NOBODY in my family even was sports-minded, so I picked up on all of it by myself. I saw Frank's picture on the back of the Sun Times in 1990 and thought it looked cool, so I decided to check out a game on TV. I was immediately 'hooked,' because I thought it looked cool! I will never look back or let Northsideitis infest myself.

I was born to a mom (and most of her family) who is/are baseball fanatics. They are/were all Sox fans except my Godmother - she'll cheer for the Sox, but is more of a Cubs fan. In fact she was watching the game last night at my house and was yelling at the ump as much as I was.