Perhaps the worst Mariotti column ever

aboz56

Here's a perspective from way far away.

The Cubs sell papers and get people to tune in. I see regular coverage of Cubs games 1,600 miles from Chicago. Check with the guys around the nation. The Cubs are a better story. They are more popular, and more media friendly. Someone tell me Frank is as good an interview as Sammy?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do care what they say, because they shouldn't abuse their profession like this. Both of these newspapers are a disgrace. Ignoring them doesn't solve the problem. The newspapers have distorted everything, and they will continue to distort the situation unless they are held accountable. How that can be done, I don't know, but personally I laughed at Ozzie's comments and thought they were entirely fair. The "Prior Watch" is ridiculous - I'm sure even Mark Prior is tired of it.

You guys don't know how dishonest some of these media people are. They start in journalism school, when they 'cheat' a little bit to meet their homework deadline. It's not about getting the story right, it's about putting out product. I've seen this happen in journalism school. How do you think the Jayson Blair thing happened? Things like that are bound to happen - that was no fluke.

They ask people leading questions at press conferences - they lead them into a situation where they say something that can be taken out of context or blown out of proportion. Then they hype the new distorted version to death. I don't know if they deliberately distort the situation, or if they're really just stupid. Given the shallowness of some of the people I knew in school, I'm afraid that some of it may be the latter.

As an example - they said that Ozzie attacked Cub fans. He did not attack Cub fans - he attacked the media for provoking a panic among the fans. Then they went to Dusty Baker about what Ozzie allegedly said (the story was reported differently in FOUR different papers - I read all four stories) - who knows how distorted their version was when it got to Dusty Baker. They were deliberately trying to start something - it's really trashy.

Ozzie & the Sox are not debating society champions and shouldn't have to be. They make off the cuff remarks and the media blow them out of proportion. Why? Because it sells papers.

Sorry, but a lack of professionalism DOES need to be called out. Some of these people simply should not have jobs and would not have jobs if they worked in New York.

It's not your imagination - the newspapers in this town really are pitiful.

I do care what they say, because they shouldn't abuse their profession like this. Both of these newspapers are a disgrace. Ignoring them doesn't solve the problem.  The newspapers have distorted everything, and they will continue to distort the situation unless they are held accountable.  How that can be done, I don't know, but personally I laughed at Ozzie's comments and thought they were entirely fair.  The "Prior Watch" is ridiculous - I'm sure even Mark Prior is tired of it.

You guys don't know how dishonest some of these media people are.  They start in journalism school, when they 'cheat' a little bit to meet their homework deadline.  It's not about getting the story right, it's about putting out product.  I've seen this happen in journalism school.  How do you think the Jayson Blair thing happened?  Things like that are bound to happen - that was no fluke.

They ask people leading questions at press conferences - they lead them into a situation where they say something that can be taken out of context or blown out of proportion. Then they hype the new distorted version to death.  I don't know if they deliberately distort the situation, or if they're really just stupid.  Given the shallowness of some of the people I knew in school, I'm afraid that some of it may be the latter.

As an example - they said that Ozzie attacked Cub fans.  He did not attack Cub fans - he attacked the media for provoking a panic among the fans.  Then they went to Dusty Baker about what Ozzie allegedly said (the story was reported differently in FOUR different papers - I read all four stories) - who knows how distorted their version was when it got to Dusty Baker.  They were deliberately trying to start something - it's really trashy.

Ozzie & the Sox are not debating society champions and shouldn't have to be.  They make off the cuff remarks and the media blow them out of proportion.  Why?  Because it sells papers.

Sorry, but a lack of professionalism DOES need to be called out.  Some of these people simply should not have jobs and would not have jobs if they worked in New York.

:notworthy

I think you can add "Bring interest to White Sox baseball" to his list of jobs. I think that's what he's trying to do. He's bringing up what he believes are facts. Maybe it'll be enough for the media to take a look in the mirror.

If Ozzie was hired to take on some of Gallas' job duties in beinging interest in this club... then we're screwed. Bringing interest by whining is not a good idea, IMO, of course..

Sorry, but a lack of professionalism DOES need to be called out.  Some of these people simply should not have jobs and would not have jobs if they worked in New York.

But by the manager..???

And yes they are. They are disgusting. I just don't agree that it's Ozzie job to call them out.

Here's a perspective from way far away.

The Cubs sell papers and get people to tune in. I see regular coverage of Cubs games 1,600 miles from Chicago. Check with the guys around the nation. The Cubs are a better story. They are more popular, and more media friendly. Someone tell me Frank is as good an interview as Sammy?

On the dinero, Tex.

Dollar rules the world and Cubs ultimately = money

I despise them because I enjoy it, but I could never deny that Cubs rule this city and for a good reason -- they are like Julia Roberts getting more attention than Julienne Moore -- "merit" has nothing to do with it.

If Ozzie was hired to take on some of Gallas' job duties in beinging interest in this club... then we're screwed. Bringing interest by whining is not a good idea, IMO, of course..

There was a clause in Kenny Lofton's contract that would give him a bonus per the amount of fans we had. I don't think it's crazy to think they would encourage Ozzie to get people here.

There was a clause in Kenny Lofton's contract that would give him a bonus per the amount of fans we had. I don't think it's crazy to think they would encourage Ozzie to get people here.

His presence, yes. A new manager.. a "fun" manager, yes, would be somewhat of a draw of interest I agree. But a manager that feels it's his duty to report on the way the media covers the team...? I just don't see that as an assett to the organization. If anything - since the Cubs are more reported on here (and everywhere :rolleyes: ) it gives the media MORE fuel to add to the fire something along the lines of "Poor Ozzie.. complaining about all the attention we give the Cubs..." thus giving the media another opportunity to talk about them (the Cubs), and makes Ozzie - and by association us as fans - look like whiners.

It's a double edged sword.

As an example - they said that Ozzie attacked Cub fans.  He did not attack Cub fans - he attacked the media for provoking a panic among the fans.  Then they went to Dusty Baker about what Ozzie allegedly said (the story was reported differently in FOUR different papers - I read all four stories) - who knows how distorted their version was when it got to Dusty Baker.  They were deliberately trying to start something - it's really trashy.

Solid post dymaxia. :headbang

The above selection (esp. the concluding sentence) is exactly what happened in the days leading up to Spring Training. Over the offseason the media was picking apart Ozzie's quotes he made during his introduction as manager, in which he said Frank was going to play "his way." Media LOVED it, just another excuse to egg on Thomas and start a battle between former teammates. For the following months Sox fans would endure column after column speculating why Frank was ignoring phone calls from Ozz and KW.

mariotti.jpg

"Frank Thomas is in isolation, no doubt ignoring the media because he is the Big Skirt. From contracts which he labels 'insulting' to his battles within the media, Frank and Ozzie are just a disaster waiting to happen."

:dips***

Mariotti alone was anticipating some blow up, probably so he can yet again find an excuse to insult JR and label the Sox organization as toxic waste. Day before Spring Traininig arrives, and what happens (to the shock of the media)? Frank Thomas stealthy reports into Arizona and cameras records the first images of Frank and Ozzie exchanging hugs and laughs. From that moment a collective sigh of disappointment is heard throughout Chicago media outlets. The didn't get their story, but Mariotti sure as hell did. Next day writes a rather demeaning article highlighting past episodes by Frank; ending the article with a bold prediction that some time in the future Frank will begin complaining again.

Before two weeks ago every thing was fine in Soxdom. Thats until contract negotiations with Magglio became the top priority of the White Sox. Now Frank begins to open his mouth and complain about his "unfair" paycheck, while Mariotti gleefully expresses his displeasure in Frank while pointing out he predicted this all along.

Media tried to create friction between Ozzie and Thomas, and because that hasn't been to their satisfaction its time to distort Franks "salary issues" and Ozzies "obsession with the Cubs." f*** them. If the Sox continue to play winning baseball those jokers (preferably moronitti) will have to ignore the downfalls of the sox and concentrate on the team. Though I doubt anything would change with Mariotti if the Sox made it to the world Series. That would mean he has to eat the proverbial crow and dispel any comments he made towards penny pinching Reinsdorf. Instead, he'll dig up old articles of the Black Sox scandal and note the similarities between the two teams.

Sorry for the rant people. This topic of media unfairness towards our club aggravates the hell out of me.... :D :bang

I do care what they say, because they shouldn't abuse their profession like this. Both of these newspapers are a disgrace. Ignoring them doesn't solve the problem. The newspapers have distorted everything, and they will continue to distort the situation unless they are held accountable. How that can be done, I don't know, but personally I laughed at Ozzie's comments and thought they were entirely fair. The "Prior Watch" is ridiculous - I'm sure even Mark Prior is tired of it.

You guys don't know how dishonest some of these media people are. They start in journalism school, when they 'cheat' a little bit to meet their homework deadline. It's not about getting the story right, it's about putting out product. I've seen this happen in journalism school. How do you think the Jayson Blair thing happened? Things like that are bound to happen - that was no fluke.

They ask people leading questions at press conferences - they lead them into a situation where they say something that can be taken out of context or blown out of proportion. Then they hype the new distorted version to death. I don't know if they deliberately distort the situation, or if they're really just stupid. Given the shallowness of some of the people I knew in school, I'm afraid that some of it may be the latter.

As an example - they said that Ozzie attacked Cub fans. He did not attack Cub fans - he attacked the media for provoking a panic among the fans. Then they went to Dusty Baker about what Ozzie allegedly said (the story was reported differently in FOUR different papers - I read all four stories) - who knows how distorted their version was when it got to Dusty Baker. They were deliberately trying to start something - it's really trashy.

Ozzie & the Sox are not debating society champions and shouldn't have to be. They make off the cuff remarks and the media blow them out of proportion. Why? Because it sells papers.

Sorry, but a lack of professionalism DOES need to be called out. Some of these people simply should not have jobs and would not have jobs if they worked in New York.

Yes, because NYC newspapers are bastions of integrity and extraordinary competence.

Everybody is cynical and greedy. Everybody cheats. In every industry. In every era. Mariotti's narcissistic, agenda-driven bile is easier to spot, but he is hardly the only one.

This s*** seems like libel to me. He just goes out and f***ing insults the entire White Sox fan base in an article. This asshole should not only be s***canned, but a Sox fan or a group of Sox fans should throw a lawsuit on this son a b****'s ass. You can say bad things about the Sox and be critical of the decisions they make, and you can even do this to the players to an extent, but to do this to a community or group of private people is morally wrong. I hope this bastard burns in hell.

Regardless, this is MORE bulletin board material. What will Jay say if the Sox have a 7-8 game lead at the All-Star break and essentially the division crown, while the Cubs are struggling along in 2nd or 3rd?

I cannot wait until the Sox-Cubs series this year. I hope to god we are playing out of our minds at the time and we take all 6 from those jackasses up north and we completely deflate any hope they had of doing anything this year.

This asshole should not only be s***canned, but a Sox fan or a group of Sox fans should throw a lawsuit on this son a b****'s ass

Funny you should say that, but just the other day Mariotti hinted at the possibility that, if he keeps [the smear campaign] up, Hawk Harrelson might find himself pitted against the court of law....

"He'd better bring bodyguards."

This is the sentence that really, truely pisses me off. I'm taught in my journalism class that you're opening lead paragraph sets the tone for the whole article. Well, in his opening sentence he's basically saying he wants all this Sox/Cubs crap to stop, or as he put it, "Why Can't we all just get along?" Well, by putting in a statement like that (Which is totally false, there are numbers that show that Wrigleyville is much more crime-riddled than the area around US Cellular, but you'd never know that from the media) totally puts fuel on the fire and really disproves your point.

What a f***ing jagoff, jackass, f***head... I apologize for my language...

I'll yield to no one in my dislike for Mariotti yet I don't understand all the problems with this article.

The "better bring a body guard" line is a cheap shot and anyone who thinks Mariotti is neutral in the Chicago baseball scene is as blind as Mariotti and would in fact have to be Mariotti.

But the only way the Sox can change things is to win. Ozzie is doing himself no favor by whining. If I need to listen to someone talk smack, we have a whole loty of choices, but from myteam's manager, I want a little professionalism and some concept that he is caring more about the Sox than what is happening on the other side of town.

Say what you will about the fans of the north side team and I can say a lot, they sold just shy of 160,000 tickets for the 4 games with Cincinnati, including that Monday game. Yada yada yada we can go on and on about cubs fand but: they have been showing up.

I gte tired of the excuses (I don't go because it is someone else's fault, it is JR's fault, it is this fault or that fault - shut up and go) be it from fans or be it from the manager (they get more coverage than we do - shut up and win).

And to have our manager going on about that in the press - not a good thing.

Ignore Mariotti. No one makes you read his stuff, that you make an effort to do. Just ignore it. It is the very fact that everyone is talking about him that makes him smile and pays his salary.

Who cares,

Dusty Baker said that white people cant play as well in the heat as black people and that his mother told him so. He used this as a reason for why the Cubs were in a slump last year.

If Ozzie said "We are losing games because latinos play in the sun better, and we have to many white people."

Marriotti and the rest of the Chicago media would be trying to force him to retire.

The best way to combat this is to write the Sun-Times and explain you will not be renewing your subscription because of Jay Mariotti.

Hes just shock journalism, I dont even waste my time anymore.

SB

hes lived in the U.S. for how long? And he STILL cant speak decent english?  I have cousins that have been in this country for way less time and they can speak without an accent already.

Hey man, I can sympathize with Sooser on this one. It ain't easy.

Hey man, I can sympathize with Sooser on this one.  It ain't easy.

Brando, in your opinion, is it harder for people of different countries to speak English better?

Like what I mean, here's an example:

Tuomo Ruutu of the Blackhawks has been in America in much less time than Sammy Sosa has, yet Tuomo already speaks English very, very well (He's Finnish.) Is it correct for me to say that people of different countries have harder/easier times picking up English?