Old Posters lurking around the boards

aboz56

Just wanted to get views from some of you on how you feel about old posters lurking around the boards as anonymous users...These are the same user or users who vowed to never come back to Soxtalk, yet it's funny to me that they are around looking at what people have to say but nobody really knows about it. Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone that I am posting this (since I am not naming names), but after thinking about this, it really disturbs me that people who nearly threatened the posting tenures of some of the Soxtalk greats and caused loads of controversy are still able to freely roam the boards and don't have the guts to post anything. Just my two cents, but I am not happy about who I've seen roaming in anonymous mode as of late if you catch my drift. Sorry if I've offended any mods or admins, I am just getting this off my chest and since I didn't name any names or such, I don't feel its out of line.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have no business telling people what they can and can't do. I really think it doesn't matter. People who read but don't post in any circumstance have that right. I think you need to loosen up a bit.

I second that. I believe SOXTALK favors democracy & free speech more so than any other sports board. Whether they lurk or register they still provide hits to the site.

Who knows maybe they're lurking because of the polls :lol:

They simply can't keep themselves away ;)

You have no business telling people what they can and can't do. I really think it doesn't matter. People who read but don't post in any circumstance have that right. I think you need to loosen up a bit.

Never said they shouldn't be able to read, but why are they afraid to show their face after they vowed to never come back?

Something to hide, indeed there must be.

it just annoys me when people go anonymous period. it makes me paranoid (sp?)... :D

i understand a little where boz is coming from though. i can't fully understand it cause i 1) can't see the name of the anom users like you mods can and 2) because i haven't been here long enough to really see anyone leave like that...

How do you even go annonymous? And what point does it have?

You read the boards without registering. If people don't want to be seen this is what they will do, or if they are just checking out the place before registering.

You read the boards without registering. If people don't want to be seen this is what they will do, or if they are just checking out the place before registering.

So the "guests" are registered IP's who just aren't logged in and annonomyous users aren't registerd at all? Or am I mistaken?

So the "guests" are registered IP's who just aren't logged in and annonomyous users aren't registerd at all? Or am I mistaken?

no. to go anon. when you log in hit the box at bottom where it says something like don't add me to active user list....

no. to go anon. when you log in hit the box at bottom where it says something like don't add me to active user list....

Oh, that's what that means. Ok thanks. I feel stupid now. I was thinking "active" meant you were on a lot, not showing up at the bottom of the page.

Since Admins are the only ones that know who these people are, why bother the list? Sounds like someone is playing with his new Admin powers and not liking it. So basically the admins sit around and look up IP addresses to see who they are letting in? Sounds like fun "big brother".

I really dislike any hint of being exclusive. I say let anyone read, lurk, go anon, etc. I really do not care and cannot think of a reason, beside just being petty and vindictive, that anyone would care who is reading, lurking, etc.

And if someone vowed to quit and wants to just come back and read, that's cool too.

I am the admin of another site just exactly like this (same software even!!!, I've found none better for the cost, I'm sure Jason can agree). And there are some real nutcases. I understand Aboz's concern because every once in a while I think the same thing he did as an admin to the website/message board I run.

But through the years, I've just learned to not give a s*** about what other people do. If they want to "lurk", it really doesn't matter. Often times, they're lurking to see if anything has changed or if they are being talked about.

Aboz, I understand your frustration, but really, it doesn't matter. Screw 'em. Your job as an admin is just to make sure that we don't become assholes, don't get in the way of a good site, and have a blast killing the trolls.

:lol:

Well said Tex. That's exactly how I feel.

Beastly, I meant that when you were spamming and being an ass pre-suspension you were a reason not to like the site. It was a joke. Others found it funny, I meant no ill-will by it. And stop IMing me. I don't like you, we already got that across. I don't want to talk to you so just leave it at that.

Just wanted to get views from some of you on how you feel about old posters lurking around the boards as anonymous users...These are the same user or users who vowed to never come back to Soxtalk, yet it's funny to me that they are around looking at what people have to say but nobody really knows about it.  Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone that I am posting this (since I am not naming names), but after thinking about this, it really disturbs me that people who nearly threatened the posting tenures of some of the Soxtalk greats and caused loads of controversy are still able to freely roam the boards and don't have the guts to post anything.  Just my two cents, but I am not happy about who I've seen roaming in anonymous mode as of late if you catch my drift.  Sorry if I've offended any mods or admins, I am just getting this off my chest and since I didn't name any names or such, I don't feel its out of line.

Well, if you are talking about who I think you are, or actually just anyone in general, then its sad they can't live up to their promises, but its really their decision. It shows that they have a weak character and can't live behind their words, and if that is the case I'd let it be. In an argument like that, I'd say that if you know you are right, just ignore the other person. I can see why you'd be a little perterbed though. People think they are too good for you and they come crawling back, just take the satisfaction in that...........lol lol lol......... :lol:

;)