Thomas Comments

Mr. Showtime

Whatever else Frank Thomas is, he is a great baseball player and has done great things for this team.  I'm not going to get into a debate about whether or not we should keep or trade Frank, that would be as stupid as him mouthing off to the media.  But when he is kicking ass and leading this team to first place at the break I'm gonna make a big post that I'll ask the mods to stick calling all of you ingrates to eat your words.

go for it bjmarte! I will be looking forward to your post at the break!

but no one will eat their words - they will just equivicate all over the place but we will know that you are right!

bjmarte,

I sincerely hope that Frank gives you reason to slam the hell out of my post. I will gladly eat crow... because if he has the kind of season you expect, then all of us will be happy. On the other hand, if he continues to set a personal agenda ahead of the good of the team, we will all see it too clearly in the form of sniping and infighting among the players, regardless of the numbers he may/may not put up this season. That is my primary concern. I don't want Frank's continued unhappiness to dampen the prospects of what should be a great season.

Just because they are in 1st place at break is not caused by just FRANK get real.

Oh come in - Frank may be exactly why the are in 1st place at the break -

or it may be some one(s) else or any combination thereof -

one reason I am looking forward to this season to see how it all comes out!

"That's a slap in the face. I earned the right to be at a certain level and I'm not there anymore," Thomas said.

I know that Thomas is an exceptional player, but he should'nt be surprised the Diminished Skills Clause was enforeced. I know he came off of injury last season, but the lows he got to last year was ones we Sox Fans would never expect. And as for the, quote, "certain level," he is referring to his salary. FRANK! We know you lost money, and we don't care. We Sox fans know you still have the capability to be a 35-125-.300 guy. You just have to do it again. You didn't lose any respect from me, just money.

"That's a slap in the face. I earned the right to be at a certain level and I'm not there anymore," Thomas said.

what exactly does thomas mean by that???..its not very clear...he could be saying he is mad at KW and JR for invoking the DSC becasue he feels what he has already accomplished meand he should get preferential treatment...

it also could mean that he knows he is not there anymore and it was a slap in the face to him...that he earned the right to be at that level but lost it...that he is mad at himself and thats why he is working so hard this off season...

frank isnt the most articulate guy around...its hard to figure out exactly what he means at times

I know that Thomas is an exceptional player, but he should'nt be surprised the Diminished Skills Clause was enforeced. I know he came off of injury last season, but the lows he got to last year was ones we Sox Fans would never expect. And as for the, quote, "certain level," he is referring to his salary. FRANK! We know you lost money, and we don't care. We Sox fans know you still have the capability to be a 35-125-.300 guy. You just have to do it again. You didn't lose any respect from me, just money.

what exactly does thomas mean by that???..its not very clear...he could be saying he is mad at KW and JR for invoking the DSC becasue he feels what he has already accomplished meand he should get preferential treatment...

it also could mean that he knows he is not there anymore and it was a slap in the face to him...that he earned the right to be at that level but lost it...that he is mad at himself and thats why he is working so hard this off season...

frank isnt the most articulate guy around...its hard to figure out exactly what he means at times

Maybe that's his intention....trying to make it mean two different things.

Make that post and I will still argue that they can win without him.  And I will be right.

Well I am honored to be in the presence of someone so smart

If Frank has a good year and the Sox win, that does not validate your point, not discredit mine. All I am saying is one person is not bigger than the team and Frank acts like he is. The Sox will be better off without him, when indeed that happens.

baggs, I agree with you that comment could be interpreted differently and may have been meant differently. But it really fits with everything else he said, so it is easy to assume the obvious.

First off welcome to our loving family :D

second nice to see another Bay area fan

third, I am a Thomas fan, but will have to say that even if he has a great season, like many of us hope for, he will still cry. Everyone knows what I mean. We have all seen the images of him walking back to the dugout after he strikes out. I swear it looks as though he is going to cry. I think the sox should hire a Hug coach just for him. It will make him feel wanted, loved, and to realize hey their are eight other guys that can hit.

baggs, I agree with you that comment could be interpreted differently and may have been meant differently. But it really fits with everything else he said, so it is easy to assume the obvious.

thats true...we never know with frank...marriotti ripped franka new one today...it's getting harder to defend him...he had alot of valid points..but they never come out right with frank...i wish he would just shut up and hit...

Frank is far from a team player.  His way of saying "I'm a team player" is to blame everyone else for last year and toot his own horn.  He is a team player if he is hitting well. 

Frank is the kind of guy that could go 0-4 in Game 7 of a WS victory and not be happy.  It is all about him.  Always has been, always will be.

If you haven't seen the comments on ESPN, check out Sportscenter.  Watching him say it on video eliminates the possible print bias.

If I was stuck playing for f***in' Reinsdorf my whole career, I'd probably not care too much about the team either.

Frank likes JR or at least they seem to agree on a lot of issues. JR has always treated him right giving him great contracts and long term security and Thomas rewared him signing under market value. The two sides agreed once again.

Deep down, Frank is a good guy. He's not a good teammate. If he shuts up then he's a wash. Not good, not bad. If he's yapping then he'll always be a bad teammate because it gives the media something bad to talk about. At least thats the case if the players let the media effect there physce (However you spell it).

IF the team can put out what the media says and just stick with what they themselves know, then it will be fine. The question is what kind of people; both players and coaches do the Sox have?

Think of it like highschool, a bunch of gossip goes around, but your friends know whats true and whats not and they don't judge you by that. Your team-mates should know most of that as well, the question is do they judge you and let it effect chemistry?

all the stuff about what type of team mate Frank Thomas is:

A. he was part of the wonderful chemistry 2000 team wasn't he so if he were such a bad team mate how did that team have great chemistry while Frank was having an MVP-typer year?

B. Frank was a part of 3 division champion teams: 1993, 1994, and 2000. Not only must he not be wrecking chemistry on three division champion teams, to say the very least, but I request anyone out there to name me one other White Sox player in our entire history who played on 3 separate championship (of any type) White Sox teams.

Name one, anybody.

A.  he was part of the wonderful chemistry 2000 team wasn;t he so if he were such a bad team mate how did that tram have great chemistry while Frank was having an MVP-typer year?

B. Frank was a part of 3 division champion teams: 1993, 1994, and 2000.  Not only must he not be wrecking chemistry on three division champion teams, to say the very least, but I request anyone out there to name me one other White Sox player in our entire history who played on 3 separate championship (of any type) White Sox teams. 

Name one, anybody.

the only shot would be if someone played on the '06 - '17 - 19 teams...highly unlikely

A.  he was part of the wonderful chemistry 2000 team wasn't he so if he were such a bad team mate how did that team have great chemistry while Frank was having an MVP-typer year?

B. Frank was a part of 3 division champion teams: 1993, 1994, and 2000.  Not only must he not be wrecking chemistry on three division champion teams, to say the very least, but I request anyone out there to name me one other White Sox player in our entire history who played on 3 separate championship (of any type) White Sox teams. 

Name one, anybody.

cw....I can't answer your question...but I will say this.

You will be able to add '03 to that list after this year as well. I don't think any Sox player has ever even considered the possibility of winning 4 championships of any type.

A.  he was part of the wonderful chemistry 2000 team wasn't he so if he were such a bad team mate how did that team have great chemistry while Frank was having an MVP-typer year?

B. Frank was a part of 3 division champion teams: 1993, 1994, and 2000.  Not only must he not be wrecking chemistry on three division champion teams, to say the very least, but I request anyone out there to name me one other White Sox player in our entire history who played on 3 separate championship (of any type) White Sox teams.  

Name one, anybody.

Good point. Very good point. I admit that I am a Frank Thomas fan..... but I will rip him when he needs to be ripped, and that is taboo within some White Sox fan circles.

However, I think it is becoming painfully obvious that Frank Thomas is a wonderful teammate when he's hitting and the team is winning. He is, unfortunately, a complete and total opposite of what he could and should be when the White Sox are losing and he isn't hitting.

I'd be curious to see what Frank would be like if the Sox were winning and Frank was only hitting .220 (not likely).

Frank is tolerated when he is hitting well because he is happy. He is barely tolerable when he is not hitting.

I heard rumblings before 2000 that "Frank was Frank" and "the guys just deal with him" and after that season as well.

If he hits, all will be fine. If he doesn't I am afraid he will continue to find something to b**** about.

This should be an interesting season. We have some new guys like our new closer and Daubauch and Colon.

I wonder if somebody will punch out Frank if he is a cancer this year.

Frank is a good example of the bad side of MLB.

I remember when he was a minor leaguer and poor, all the reports about Frank were so positive.

He was funny and friendly and the media loved him.

He got rich and pretty much has become an arrogant man.

Too bad.

Somebody said Frank should have just said, "I'm gonna tear the cover off the ball this year" and left the press conf.

Frank's ego is too big however.

I realize riches change about everybody, but it's sad the Big Hurt is a primma donna, which is what he is.

That said I hope he hits .333 with 45 home runs.