Steve Finley

whitesox61382

I know that his name has been mentioned before, but I think the Sox should go after him, especially if Maggs opts for the surgury. I think it is the perfect fit. Arizona appears to be out of contension at 12 games under .500, and Sexson done for the season, so the 39 year old FA to be Finley should be available. Finley is quietly having himself a great season:

.285 BA 16 HR 31 RBI 26 BB 25 SO 7 SB 2 CS .919 OPS

He has also been extremely consistant over the past couple of years despite being in his upper 30's.

.275+ BA(4 straight seasons); 20+ HR(4 out of 5 seasons); 70+ RBI(5 straight seasons); 45+ BB(6 straight seasons); 100- SO(5 straight seasons); 10+ SB(4 straight seasons); .850+ OPS(4 out of 5 seasons)

The thing I like about Finley is that he isn't one dimensional. He can hit, but he also plays solid D in CF, still runs very well, has very good plate disipline, and he is a lefty bat.

The question is what would it take to get Finley? After taking a quick glance at the D-Backs organization, it appears that they would probably want outfield prospects(with Finley gone, Gonzalez being 36, and no top outfield prospects in the upper minors) and pitching prospects. Because of Finley's great start and consistancy, his value is at a high, but his value is hurt a little by his age(39), salary(7M), and looming FA. My guess is that a package of Borchard and Rauch might be enough to pry him away.

Add Finley and get a decent 5th starter, and the Sox become the instant favorites for the AL Central and have a decent shot of going deep in the playoffs if they are playing well at the end of the season. The sleeper 5th starter that the Sox should look at(IMO) is Armas. I know that he has been mentioned before, but if he is healthy and looks good in his 1st couple of starts, than I think the Sox should take a chance on this guy. He has great stuff, is still young, is relatively cheap, won't cost a lot in return, and won't be a FA for a few more years.

Agreed, but I would rather have Garcia than Armas. Garcia pitches well vs. NY, and we need a pitcher of his caliber IMO. Finley would be nice too, but IIRC, didn't someone on these boards say that he has a no-trade clause? I guess it would be up to him, whether he'd want to end his career in Arizona, or come to a perenial (sp?) playoff team.

I know that his name has been mentioned before, but I think the Sox should go after him, especially if Maggs opts for the surgury. I think it is the perfect fit. Arizona appears to be out of contension at 12 games under .500, and Sexson done for the season, so the 39 year old FA to be Finley should be available. Finley is quietly having himself a great season:

.285 BA 16 HR 31 RBI 26 BB 25 SO 7 SB 2 CS .919 OPS

He has also been extremely consistant over the past couple of years despite being in his upper 30's.

.275+ BA(4 straight seasons); 20+ HR(4 out of 5 seasons); 70+ RBI(5 straight seasons); 45+ BB(6 straight seasons); 100- SO(5 straight seasons); 10+ SB(4 straight seasons); .850+ OPS(4 out of 5 seasons)

The thing I like about Finley is that he isn't one dimensional. He can hit, but he also plays solid D in CF, still runs very well, has very good plate disipline, and he is a lefty bat.

The question is what would it take to get Finley? After taking a quick glance at the D-Backs organization, it appears that they would probably want outfield prospects(with Finley gone, Gonzalez being 36, and no top outfield prospects in the upper minors) and pitching prospects. Because of Finley's great start and consistancy, his value is at a high, but his value is hurt a little by his age(39), salary(7M), and looming FA. My guess is that a package of Borchard and Rauch might be enough to pry him away.

Add Finley and get a decent 5th starter, and the Sox become the instant favorites for the AL Central and have a decent shot of going deep in the playoffs if they are playing well at the end of the season. The sleeper 5th starter that the Sox should look at(IMO) is Armas. I know that he has been mentioned before, but if he is healthy and looks good in his 1st couple of starts, than I think the Sox should take a chance on this guy. He has great stuff, is still young, is relatively cheap, won't cost a lot in return, and won't be a FA for a few more years.

Maggsformayor :headbang :lol:

Finley would be a perfect fit for us. However, we should be able able to get him without trading Borchard. Maybe one of our younger OF prospects or Rowand, along with Rauch might get it done. I don't know. But I still think Borchard is going to be a major league stud and I don't want to give him up.

Finley would be a perfect fit for us.  However, we should be able able to get him without trading Borchard.  Maybe one of our younger OF prospects or Rowand, along with Rauch might get it done.  I don't know.  But I still think Borchard is going to be a major league stud and I don't want to give him up.

That's exactly my thinking.

Personally, I'm hoping deep down that Seattle will take Rauch and Rowand for Garcia, and that Arizona will take Diaz, Adkins, and Perez for Finley. Then we pick up another OFer who can play CF for us somewhere(or maybe just call up Mario Valenzuela...I think we still have him).

I doubt they do, but you never know.

That's exactly my thinking.

Personally, I'm hoping deep down that Seattle will take Rauch and Rowand for Garcia, and that Arizona will take Diaz, Adkins, and Perez for Finley.  Then we pick up another OFer who can play CF for us somewhere(or maybe just call up Mario Valenzuela...I think we still have him).

I doubt they do, but you never know.

The key is who does Seattle really covet, because I think the Sox could get Finley for mid level prospects, especially if the thing I read was true a few days ago in the Trib which said that JR has given KW the go ahead to increase payroll this season.

Finley is a veteran, is on the last year of his contract, is a left handed bat and will be a good fit while Maggs is out and then its a good problem to have an extra bat later on. Plus whose to say Crede pulls out of his funk and who knows if someone else goes down.

I'd say Rauch could get you Steve Finley, maybe throw someone else in. The Dbacks would love to get rid of his salary and if KW goes after him now, he'll probably be able to give up a little less cause no one will be in a bidding war. The Dbacks season is pretty much done anyway.

The key is who does Seattle really covet, because I think the Sox could get Finley for mid level prospects, especially if the thing I read was true a few days ago in the Trib which said that JR has given KW the go ahead to increase payroll this season. 

Finley is a veteran, is on the last year of his contract, is a left handed bat and will be a good fit while Maggs is out and then its a good problem to have an extra bat later on.  Plus whose to say Crede pulls out of his funk and who knows if someone else goes down. 

I'd say Rauch could get you Steve Finley, maybe throw someone else in.  The Dbacks would love to get rid of his salary and if KW goes after him now, he'll probably be able to give up a little less cause no one will be in a bidding war.  The Dbacks season is pretty much done anyway.

That sounds good to me. Forward this to KW.

Finley would be nice, but we need another starter.  Pitching wins championships.

I'm in 100% agreement. I do think we'll get another starter. But, I think we could also get Finley reasonably cheap. That would be one helluva pick up for us.

I'm in 100% agreement.  I do think we'll get another starter.  But, I think we could also get Finley reasonably cheap.  That would be one helluva pick up for us.

I go with KW's mindset and I think he'll be thinking big. He isn't going to just add one player. If a guy like Finley is out there and now he has a position, then KW will go after him and he won't end it on that. KW knows the Sox need a pitcher and he's going to get one.

I have no doubt KW will make a couple trades before its all done and I still believe the Sox will have a new 5th starter by June 12th and it won't be coming from within the organization, unless us giving up prospects for him is coming from within. Don't know whether it will be a good trade or not, but he'll make the necessary deals.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...articleid=30540

With Kansas City's Carlos Beltran a near lock to be moved, the Red Sox can be expected to remain in close contact with Royals GM Allard Baird. The Royals want major league-ready players in return, a lot of them, in exchange for Beltran. However, the Sox are not interested in giving up a bundle of talent such as Kevin Youkilis, Triple-A Pawtucket catcher Kelly Shoppach and Double-A Portland left-hander Abe Alvarez - all in one swoop - for free agent-to-be Beltran.

Other names to monitor are Arizona's Steve Finley and Florida's Jeff Conine.

From the same Article: regarding pitching help

Seattle's Freddy Garcia and Colorado's Jason Jennings are two pitchers to monitor, with more names emerging in the coming weeks.

Steve Finley is a 10/5 player like Randy Johnson though so he can void any trade deal if he wants. If he wants to play for a contender though, he's the perfect guy to go after. They'll need all the payroll room they can get to resign Sexson, since their payroll will be significantly lower due to the financial problems ownership is having.

Me either.

But if Borchard is "not on the block" according to KW.. then who would be next?  :huh

I saw in the article mentioning the Yanks going for Garcia, a direct quote (or at least looked to be) from KW saying Reed was untouchable.

Well.. that's good.

I could stand to part with Borchard, Valenzuela or MAYBE Anderson.

But, please not Reed or Sweeney.

:nono

I think Anderson is the "safest" prospect. By "safest" I mean he's the one I'd put money on to contribute for a long time at the ML level.

Reed is a "grinder". Nothing flashy, just a good baseball player. He get the job done.

Sweeney has a ridiculously high ceiling, but will he reach it?

Anderson, by all accounts is just a solid player. He may not reach super stardom, but there's little doubt that he'll contribute on the Major League level for quite sometime.