Yankees jumping in on Garcia

Mr. Showtime

This makes me sick. :puke

Thanks to the New York Yankees, the ante just got higher in the high-stakes poker game for Seattle starting pitcher Freddy Garcia. The question now is whether the Sox will stay in or fold.

According to several publications in New York and Seattle, the Yankees are willing to package struggling pitcher Jose Contreras to the Mariners for Garcia. The sticking point in the deal is how much of Contreras' four-year, $32 million contract New York is willing to pick up.

Seattle, along with the Yankees and Boston, had been in the bidding for Contreras after he defected from Cuba in 2002.

Garcia is a free agent at the end of this season. Entering Friday night's start against the Sox with a 3-3 record and 3.01 ERA, he is one of the most coveted pitchers available at this point of the season.

The Red Sox also have expressed an interest in Garcia, but with a payroll that is all but tapped out, it's unlikely they will stay in the running.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams has spent much of the past two weeks trying to get a deal done for a starting pitcher.

"If there are any bullets to fire, I'm going to fire them at (adding) pitching," Williams said Thursday.

One major league scout said the Sox have been looking at Garcia closely the past two weeks. The scout also indicated there have been several Mariners scouts watching the Sox's Triple-A team.

"There's no question that there are talks going on," the scout said. "It seems like it's just a matter of getting the right players in the mix."

Seattle, which entered Friday's action in last place — 13½ games behind the first-place Anaheim Angels — in the American League West, appears to be interested in pitcher Jon Rauch, but the Mariners also are believed to be seeking a combination of young hitters from the Sox. Outfielder Joe Borchard, the Sox's first-round pick in the 2000 draft, may be one player on Seattle's list.

According to the scout, Williams has told Seattle that top prospect Jeremy Reed, an outfielder, is an "untouchable" at this point.

"Kenny would love to get a deal done sooner than later," the scout said. "The longer it drags on, the higher the asking price will get (for Garcia). That's when New York becomes the favorite."

The whole thing just makes me sick.

There's this notion that the Yankees are really making a huge sacrafice in giving up on Contreras, who if nobody has noticed, blows.

The fact that M's GM would even consider this trade makes me feel like the Sox can give up s*** to get Garica. There's no point to trading Garica if the guy your getting in Contreras makes a lot of money as well. I know the Yankees would pay some of his salary, but still no logic at all.

If Seattle just wants a bad pitcher who makes a lot of cash they can have Billy Koch, that should get it done. :)

I don't see what the big deal is. Although the M's had wanted Contreras originally, right now, he sucks, AND is overpaid. Bad combo for a bad, cash strapped team. Unless the Yanks paid all his salary for the durationof the contract, I don't see that deal happening.

I agree..

If Kenny plays this smart, he can easily outgun the Yanks without having to give up too much.

They have no minor league system.

The only problem I can forsee is Garcia's contract $$.

The Yanks would take his whole salary, while the Sox would want Seattle to pay a portion of it.

If they are offering Contreras, then all I'm going to say is the Mariners would be foolish to turn down the Sox offer. The Mariners would be taking on at least part of a long term deal and wouldn't be getting anything for their future.

A package of rauch and Borchard would be superior to that, although I'd hope the Sox could somehow do it without giving up Joey B.

Good to see Reed is untouchable.

Kenny has a choice to make; does he give in and give up Borchard now and get Garcia for two extra months, or does he wait and see if he can get Garica cheaper in late July? Lots of choices...

I don't think that's Kenny's choice.... Seattle is content to wait until more bidders come in. Sure he could sweeten the pot now, but he would no doubt overpaying for at most 8 extra starts.

5th starter to make 8 starts prior to trade deadline. 5 before ASB, and 4 around KW's previous trade day (July 1)

This makes me sick.  :puke

I don't know, the Mariners have said all along they want hitting, not pitching, they got good arms in the Minors and i don't htink they really would want Contreras

It could be BS too, Could be the M's seeing who ants up more of an offer and overpays to keep the Yanks from getting Garcia

Imagine Garcia in New York with all the Night Life.......