Willie Harris

BrandoFan

If he continues the nice, all-field forearm action, that OBP is gonna climb to .400.

His D. is well above average.

He does need to steal a TON of bases, but it's within reach.

Belliard is gonna fade, Boone is off the juice and Soriano doesn't have the numbers this year, either defensively, running or even getting on base.

Willie's good.  And I'm glad we have him.

He needs more stolen bases though.  With his speed, he should have 20 by now.

He has the speed, but he may not have a full understanding of how to steal basses at the major league level. I see NEXT year being his true break out stolen base season

I doubt he stays at 2nd. If Rowand is traded, Willie is going to be the CF for the rest of the season. (Uribe at 2nd, Jose at SS) This is his 9th start out there today, and with Rowand struggling and Maggs out, He probably will stay there.

If he continues the nice, all-field forearm action, that OBP is gonna climb to .400.

Belliard is gonna fade, Boone is off the juice and Soriano doesn't have the numbers this year, either defensively, running or even getting on base.

Call me when that happens. Theres no way in hell will he overtake the hot hitting Soriano. Ever.

Willie probably wont put up the power numbers that Soriano will, but there is a chance if Willie keeps his swing as short and quick as it has been, that he will hit over .300 consistently.

As for stealing, he just needs to practice, and Ozzie needs to make it a priority.

SB

Soriano is a below-average defensive player, is no longer a threat on the basepaths and is not hitting all that well in the #3 spot this year.

Willie gets that OBP to .400+ and steals 20-25 bases by July 15th, he should be the one making the trip to Houston.

Soriano is a below-average defensive player, is no longer a threat on the basepaths and is not hitting all that well in the #3 spot this year.

Willie gets that OBP to .400+ and steals 20-25 bases by July 15th, he should be the one making the trip to Houston.

Should be and will be are two totally different beasts.

I have almost no doubt in my mind that if he keeps it up, he will be going to Houston, but not as a starter. Well, he should atleast.

Uribe played more than out his ass the first 2 mounths. Now we are seeing he is just going to be a super bench player this season

Not only is BabyBerroa not a fluke, he is just getting started.

Some of the outs during his slump were a FO to the wall (Oakland) and line-outs to CF and RCF (Oakland and Seattle). He is a little pull happy now, but he will adjust. Maybe not a .340 hitter, but 290-300 with power? No problem.

Fair-weather fans feel free to step off, though.

now if he were to pick up the power numbers just a bit... im definitely not advocating swinging for the fences all the time.  But if his homers were up a tad he'd be awesome!

Who cares about HR if you play GG defense, have 400 OBP and can steal 60-70 bases, to say nothing of all the extra bases that are NOT counted as steals? How about distracting a pitcher and the defensive alignmenet every time you reach base?

You can reach on an infield single. Steal 2nd. Steal 3rd. Score on a sac fly. How is it different than hitting a HR with 1 out?

Who cares about HR if you play GG defense, have 400 OBP and can steal 60-70 bases, to say nothing of all the extra bases that are NOT counted as steals? How about distracting a pitcher and the defensive alignmenet every time you reach base?

You can reach on an infield single.  Steal 2nd.  Steal 3rd.  Score on a sac fly. How is it different than hitting a HR with 1 out?

:headbang Right on, Brando!

Willie Harris is not in Soriano's hemisphere. :stick

You can reach on an infield single.  Steal 2nd.  Steal 3rd.  Score on a sac fly. How is it different than hitting a HR with 1 out?

It is different from a homer because a homer leaves the yard. And you get to trot around the bases, not sprint.

That's the only difference, and that isn't a big enough difference to mean anything.

I also could care less if Willie never hits a homer. Chuck Knoblauch was rookie of the year in 1991 and he hit maybe 1 homer all year. However, I do believe Willie will develop a little power as he gets older...maybe not 20 homers a year power, but maybe 5-10, and if he gets real lucky, even 15 in a year. Sort of like Kenny Lofton.

So far this season:

Defense: Willie

Baserunning: Willie

Offense: Soriano (but since April 10th, they're equal)

Intangibles: Willie (distracts pitchers and wastes their energy with throw-overs)

Salary: Willie

After Soriano thoroughly got embarassed in the playoffs, pitchers have found a new hole in his swing. Willie, on the other hand, improved his pitch selection and swing since his awful start in early April.

Soriano will be a better player but if you think they're in different leagues, you must not understand the role blazing speed and high OBP and great defense can play.......I for one am glad I was wrong about his ability. :headbang

Chuck Knoblauch was rookie of the year in 1991 and he hit maybe 1 homer all year.

Check ouy Knob's 1996 season: 450 OBP, 515 Slug, GG defense, 45 SB and a ton of non-steal extra bases taken....No wonder he scored 140 runs.

If Willie could rise those those heights (but with say 60-70 SB), that would be f***in' awesome.

No doubt Soxfest....

So let me get this straight Brando, this thread isnt a joke?

Your really serious about Willie being as good as Soriano? Are you kidding me, he's playing good playing time for only 2 months now and his above .300 avg is very nice, but Willie has a long way to go defensively(gettign more range), has absolutley no power, and as fast as he is, hasnt figured out how to get good jumps on the basepaths.

I would take 1 Soriano over about 3 Willie's....

Check ouy Knob's 1996 season: 450 OBP, 515 Slug, GG defense, 45 SB and a ton of non-steal extra bases taken....No wonder he scored 140 runs.

If Willie could rise those those heights (but with say 60-70 SB), that would be f***in' awesome.

I think it's worth noting that he scored 140 runs for a Twins team that won 78 games and whose leading home run hitter hit 16. They also had only 6 guys break the double digit homer barrier. Shows how overrated homers really are. Their low ERA for the year was 3.01...that was Mike Trombley out of the bullpen. Radke led the starters in ERA with 4.46.

Shows how a good leadoff hitter can do all sorts of damage, eh? He does more then just what his stats show.

So far this season:

Defense:  Willie

Baserunning:  Willie

Offense:  Soriano (but since April 10th, they're equal)

Intangibles:  Willie (distracts pitchers and wastes their energy with throw-overs)

Salary:  Willie

After Soriano thoroughly got embarassed in the playoffs, pitchers have found a new hole in his swing.    Willie, on the other hand, improved his pitch selection and swing since his awful start in early April.   

Soriano will be a better player but if you think they're in different leagues, you must not understand the role blazing speed and high OBP and great defense can play.......I for one am glad I was wrong about his ability.  :headbang

There is NOT 1 GM in baseball who would take Harris over Soriano.

Willie Harris

.323 avg

13 RBI's

23 Runs

8 SB

.384 OBP

Alfonso Soriano

.281 avg

32 RBI's

21 Runs

5 SB

.324 OBP

Not much argument there... Harris is having a better season so far and if it remaind he belongs in the All Star Game ahead of Soriano

Oh yeah.. Soriano has 7 HR's and Harris has 0 and the RBI's may be lopsided but Harris leads off and Soriano is batting 3rd... If Willie was batting 3rd im sure hed have just as many RBI's due to his AVG

You know, the cool part is that he still is not very experienced at his job. Imagine what he can accomplish when he fully knows what he's doing.

There is NOT 1 GM in baseball who would take Harris over Soriano.

This thread title is about 2004 All-Star Game, not about their careers.

Since roughly April 10th....

Willie's OBP is at .400 and his Slug. is over .400 as well.

Soriano's OBP since that time is in the low-300s and Slug only 20 points higher.

Soriano is not the baserunner he was in years past, and Willie should blow by him easily as he attempts more SB. Once again, Willie's value as a baserunner goes WAY beyond stolen bases. Duh.

Defensively, it's no contest. Soriano is one the stupidest (positioning, anticipation, route, technique) fielders in the game. Willie might win a GG next year.

GMs would take Soriano because he is a big talent and his name sells jerseys. Meanwhile, Willie is much CHEAPER and is having a slightly BETTER season in 2004. That is my main point.