Harold Reynolds

WHarris1

It was also interesting that Harold said that we'd be able to sign Beltran long term if we got him. I don't see us being able to keep Maggs and Beltran, so one of them would be gone. Maybe we'd trade for Beltran, and then trade Maggs for a pitcher. The Sox might rather have Beltran since Beltran is younger and is a gold glover. You know what? I have no idea what's gonna happen, but I doubt we'll have to worry about any of this b/c I don't think we'll trade for Beltran.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said it because it made sense. That doesn't mean he thinks it will happen because the teams have been talking or the Sox are interested. It's hard to argue it makes sense for anyone who trades for him. Though I personally don't get what all the stink about him is. He has never had 30 HRs in his career, he's only bat .300 twice, he is batting .274 this season, his highest OB% was .389 last season. Sure he's good, but he's no All-Star or superstar like everyone keeps saying. He's 27, he's not that young either where I would expect him to bust out and hit .330 with 40+ HRs.

How does trading for Beltran make sense for the Sox? Garold is dumb as a box of rocks. If the Sox get Beltran, they will have to sit Crede on the bench this year (Val plays SS, Uribe plays 3rd B and Willie plays 2B) and basically out of Beltran and Mags one will walk at year end, mostly both.

Sox should focus on pitching - one starter (Garcia or Glavine), one stud reliever, and one more solid relief arm.

How would Harold Reynolds know this?  I can see Gammons who writes for the Globe, but how on earth does Reynolds know whats going on behind the scenes?  seems like crap to me.

When does Reynolds "know" anything? He's the least reliable baseball person on ESPN. Listen to Joe Morgan talk about the finer points of the game, then listen to Reynolds. Both were long time 2nd basemen in the bigs. Yet, Morgan's insight and knowledge blows Reynolds away.

If we got Beltran we'd have one interesting situation.  Because then, I'd presume, we'd have Maggs in right, Beltran in center, Lee in left.  Harris would probably move to second - forming a platoon at short, or moving Crede to the bench permanently? 

Probably not worth discussion since it probably won't happen, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Getting Beltran would be shooting for the WS this year. Having Beltran hit 2nd would get the Sox playoff wins.

Uribe could move around the infield, and Crede could still see a lot of playing time. The sox would just go with the hot hand. Having Uribe/ Crede coming off the bench over a Kelly Dransfeldt makes much more sense on a team trying to win a WS.

The market just isn't there for Beltran. Most teams won't [sD, LA, NYM ]or can't [bOS, NYY] give up the players KC is asking for [3 of 5 spots--C, OF, pitching, 3B, 2B]. My guess is they'd want both SP and bullpen help.

The Sox offer of players would certainly be near the top of what KC would get--

1] Rowand, Diaz/Rauch, Bajenaru

2] Cotts, Rowand, Ruddy Yan

3] Borchard, Yan, Diaz/ Rauch

4] Cotts, Borchard

I'm not sure what happened, but I was watching the KC-Mon highlights on ESPN. Beltran did something to his leg; he had a little trouble walking back to the dugout after running the bases.

From the Royals' website:

At least the Royals escaped a serious injury to center fielder Carlos Beltran, who scored on a sacrifice fly in the ninth inning. Beltran made a head-first lunge into home plate, caught his left hand on catcher Brian Schneider's shin

Beltran stayed at home plate, hunched over on his knees, for several minutes after the play.

"I don't know why he blocked home plate without having the ball. Normally catchers don't block it unless they have the ball," Beltran said. "But it was my fault, too. I should have been sliding with my legs first."

Beltran said his hand and wrist were OK. But he did have a knot on his forehead where he smacked into the dirt.

yeah, I saw this last night as well. I say if we can get Beltran and either keep Beltran or Maggs at the end of the year; keep Beltran. The kid can steal some bases, 41 last year and not less than 30 the past two years. Get willie stealing bases like he should be (which is a mystery to me) and these two guys at the one and two hole would definately do some damage, hell bat his 3rd, uribe 2nd and harris up top and get rid of valentin at the end of the year. Not sure how much money Beltran would want for a long term deal but if its close to what Mags is asking then I'd sign Beltran. Oh yeah.... :fthecubs

He said it because it made sense. That doesn't mean he thinks it will happen because the teams have been talking or the Sox are interested. It's hard to argue it makes sense for anyone who trades for him. Though I personally don't get what all the stink about him is. He has never had 30 HRs in his career, he's only bat .300 twice, he is batting .274 this season, his highest OB% was .389 last season. Sure he's good, but he's no All-Star or superstar like everyone keeps saying. He's 27, he's not that young either where I would expect him to bust out and hit .330 with 40+ HRs.

If they got Carlos, I'd hate to say it, but I'd probably move Magglio unless the Sox felt comfortable getting a deal. Then I'd say the Sox should try their best to lock up Beltran.

Boras is Beltran's agent.

Magglio would come cheaper than Beltran...but I think if we had both Beltran and Maggs and offered them both arbitration(noway Beltran would take it, and it'd be good if Maggs took it) we'd get most likely the Yankees and Red Sox 1st round picks.

The Yankees will probably sign Beltran...and Maggs in Boston could happen.

I would not give up the farm for rent-a-Beltran. I'm content with the team we have now offensively....we just need to find another pitcher and maybe another relief arm to replace Koch.

WOW!