Question for those upset with the deal

Chisoxfn

Would you rather of acquired Freddy Garcia for Paul Konerko (supposedly that along with a prospect would of gotten the Sox Freddy Garcia at the beginning of the season) or given up Olivo and Reed while keeping Konerko. The same Konerko who has an OBP above .360, 19 HR's and over 50 RBI before the all star break?

Just throwing it out there, for all I know you may still of rather kept Miguel, personally I love the way Paulie is playing. He is drawing a ton more walks and really is hitting for power and more surprisingly, he seems to be hitting for power to the opposite field, something he has never done until this season.

Would you rather of acquired Freddy Garcia for Paul Konerko (supposedly that along with a prospect would of gotten the Sox Freddy Garcia at the beginning of the season) or given up Olivo and Reed while keeping Konerko.  The same Konerko who has an OBP above .360, 19 HR's and over 50 RBI before the all star break? 

Just throwing it out there, for all I know you may still of rather kept Miguel, personally I love the way Paulie is playing. He is drawing a ton more walks and really is hitting for power and more surprisingly, he seems to be hitting for power to the opposite field, something he has never done until this season.

I'm pissed about losing, Olivo. But lets be honest. He's replaceable. As long as we're able to sign Garcia to an extension i'm pleased with the deal. And no. I'm glad we still have, Konerko. He's tearin the cover off the ball right now and I don't see any reason "other than health" that it won't continue.

I love this trade....you have to give up someone to get quality.....let's go for it

I want one stud bull pen guy now to make me feel real good down the stretch

Maybe just someone solid that means the end for Mike Jackson

I can live with one out of Rauch of Diaz going into the BP as long relief/take over Adkins role, and Adkins becomes a set up guy for the 6th, 7th and 8th innings

Also, in the playoffs we can put Scho now in the pen for some needed left handd pitching to help out Marte

Awesome trade....get one solid righty reliever, get Maggs back and we are set for a run here

Stop b****ing about this trade.

Be happy we are trying to make a run for it!!!

I actually am in the camp that likes the deal and am now hoping the Sox can do the rumored Maggs deal. Resign Freddy, get Andruw and all of a sudden you have at least two guys that help this team now and will be here a few years from now.

I also think the Sox would have a shot at resigning one of Elo/Ortiz at the end of the season meaning they'd have a rotation of Buehrle, Garland,Ortiz, Garcia (in no particular order) for the next few years, leaving one opening for someone like Cotts, etc. If their is one thing I've figured out in baseball, its that having good pitchers and some stability in the rotation, that can really help you be a juggernaut and some type of dynasty.

Plus a rotation of Buerhle, Garcia, Elo, Ortiz and Garland would be some kind of nasty with Scho, Cruz, Politte, Marte, Shingo, Adkins, Cotts in the pen.

I would rather keep Maggs here this year....his bat will be huge down the stretch

And with the money we save (~14M) by letting Mags walk, we can use ~10M per year to extend Garcia and use the remaining ~4M per year to get us a veteran catcher and reliever in the off season

Borchard will be RF for next year to start with, Willie for 2B, Rowand for CF, Uribe for SS

Here is the thing, let Maggs walk or have Jones here this year and the next 3 years to me is a no brainer. The fact the Sox also get Russ Ortiz and Juan Cruz makes it more fantastic because it gives the Sox more good pitching, which is what they will need.

I love Maggs, but we have a good offense and Jones, while not Maggs offensively, is a good offensive player that will fit in with other good offensive players in Chicago.

Borchard, Rowand, Lee is an outfield that scares the hell out of me next year. Now having Jones, Lee and one of Borchard/Rowand play isn't quite as scary.

Plus if the Sox say they can get Garcia signed then I expect it to happen relatively shortly. KW doesn't do contract negotitations, he just agrees to the finally terms and maybe has some ocassional involvment. From what i understand Rick Hahn is in charge of them, although Kenny and of course ownership have the final say.

This means Kenny can still work the phones while Hahn can fully concentrate on getting Garcia inked long term. I want him here and I want him signed long term now.

Would you rather of acquired Freddy Garcia for Paul Konerko (supposedly that along with a prospect would of gotten the Sox Freddy Garcia at the beginning of the season) or given up Olivo and Reed while keeping Konerko.  The same Konerko who has an OBP above .360, 19 HR's and over 50 RBI before the all star break? 

I think those who would argue for the Garcia for Konerko would probably use the fact that Paulie's making $8 million this season and $8.5 million next season, while we had a young catcher and young stud outfielder in AAA making less than $1 million.

So what do you guys think to Garcia signing like a 4 yr 32 mill deal with maybe a club option for the 5th year.  It seems to me like 8 mill a year would be a good deal for both sides.

Anything over $35 million over 4 years is definitely too excessive for me. His agent thinks he can easily get $40 million over 4 years from at least 1 of the New York teams. We should consider ourselves very lucky if we can resign him b/w 28 and 32 mill over 4 years.

I am not attacking Chisoxfn at all.

Just don't understand how everyone begs for a trade, and not it occurs and they b****.

Garcia/Buerhle/Loaiza.  I like alot.

Plus count me as someone in the camp that thinks Garland is pretty damn good. He seems to have the luck Buehrle had most of last year, so I'm kind of predicting that he will have a Buehrle like 2nd half this year.

I expect and we will see big things from Jon G in the second half of the season, imo.

Oh ya, anyone know if Scho's injury could potentially be more serious then we think. I still think he could turn into a weak spot in the rotation. He won't be as bad as what the Sox had in the 5 slot, but he still isn't what I want if the race is close. Getting Russ Ortiz or another good pitcher, would make the Sox chacnes that much better to make the playoffs and remember, they can't win the series without first winning the division or the wild card. :)

Anything over $35 million over 4 years is definitely too excessive for me. His agent thinks he can easily get $40 million over 4 years from at least 1 of the New York teams. We should consider ourselves very lucky if we can resign him b/w 28 and 32 mill over 4 years.

Well, call it a 2 mill a year discount to play for Maggs then. I do think Cheat is right and he will get the largest contract ever signed by a pitcher in Franchise history.

Hopefully he does better then the current holder of that honor (Jamie Navarro or at least I'm 99% sure thats who it is).

Plus count me as someone in the camp that thinks Garland is pretty damn good.  He seems to have the luck Buehrle had most of last year, so I'm kind of predicting that he will have a Buehrle like 2nd half this year.

I expect and we will see big things from Jon G in the second half of the season, imo.

Same here... If JG gets some early support in game like Buehrle has this season, I think he'll relax and wont have those meltdowns like he has in his last couple outings.

His last two outings had all the makings of great things from JG... He had the best stuff I've ever seen out of him early in the game vs. Prior.

i like winning NOW

paulie has more impact NOW then olivo or reed

there is no reason to make this trade unless you want to win NOW

so, dont make ANY sence to me to say youd rather have olivo then paulie

The one scenario I can use to explain possibly being better off trading PK over Miguel is the fact that the Sox have more options for first basemen than they do for quality young catchers.

You could have made a case for Frank over there, or C Lee at 1B with Reed given a shot in LF, or short term stuff like Gload or Burke as stopgaps.

I'm REALLY happy about Freddy G being a Sox player now, I just really wish Miggy didn't have to go. As I've said in a couple other threads, he's gonna be really good for a LONG time, so it's just kinda sad seeing it happen somewhere else.

when i fist saw MO's name on the trade completed thead, i honestly felt like a family member died.

but as you all can see, i understand why KW and the sox org. had to do it... and im on their side... it honestly took a few hours at the beach and some time to myself to get myself to see it this way and push down my feelings for what happened with MO... but i get it

MO is a badass, will be an even better bad ass, and will be an allstar for a lot of years to come

great for him, great for his new team(s), and we got someone who could win us another 10 - 15 games

:bringit

The one scenario I can use to explain possibly being better off trading PK over Miguel is the fact that the Sox have more options for first basemen than they do for quality young catchers.

You could have made a case for Frank over there, or C Lee at 1B with Reed given a shot in LF, or short term stuff like Gload or Burke as stopgaps.

I'm REALLY happy about Freddy G being a Sox player now, I just really wish Miggy didn't have to go. As I've said in a couple other threads, he's gonna be really good for a LONG time, so it's just kinda sad seeing it happen somewhere else.

I have to disagree with you on it would be better seeing Konerko traded over Olivo. Even with PK's contact. He's having a great comeback year. And has at times carried us this season.