Brooks Boyer on ESPN NOW

quickman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please understand that the whitesox site the season ticket holders are the main reason for the elimination. I added that I had discussions with my ticket agent about the other stuff. The sox will simply say they need to consider the season ticket holder, which is the right thing to do.

Ok here is just a thought: The Sox rarely sell out the upper deck, although I believe they attendance is getting better. Why not just make all tickets above the Poles $6 all the time, except those dates deemed premium ( Cubs, Yanks, Redsox).

This gets people to the park any night and they stay above the poles so it would not effect the season ticket holders.

Ok on a positive note they said they are looking into having Friday and Saturday Firework nights, which seem to bring in more families and large crowds.

That's fine. Season ticket holders shouldn't have to put up with that BS. But really, should non season ticket holders have to put up with that crap too, if they are good fans...just not with as much money/availablity as season ticket holders? What i'm getting at is this: Sure, making the seats above the poles half price keeps them out of the lower bowl. But that's just shuffling chairs on the Titanic. If those same people are still in the park, there are still going to be the same fights. I was at one of those KC games last year where i saw 5-6 fights in the upper deck with my own eyes. I think you need to scrap half price night altogether then, not just banish them to the upper deck. It solves part of the problem...but really doesn't get at the root of the problem.

I like the idea of promoting more split season ticket packages, etc.

They need to make those Club tickets (300 level) available to season ticket holders for a weekend plan.

If they want to have select value dates, fine. The season ticket holder should not have to pay full price for a ticket that someone else is getting 1/2 price, that is not fair. And on top of it, the season ticket holder has to write the check in December.

They know by now that a game in April on a Wednesday vs. Detroit is not gonna be a big seller. They should tie in some sort of value promotion if they feel the need to do so, give the season ticketholder the same price, and it's a win-win.

Most, if not all, value dates should be during traditionally slow attendance periods, i.e. April, May. Maybe one in September too, just to do it.

There are a million ways to make it fair to the season ticket holders while embracing the value conscious consumer as well. It's just a question of thinking outside the box a little bit.

I got the nine game package this year but unfortunately you don't guarantee yourself playoff tickets with this package.  Steff, do you know how much the 27 game package costs for say the lower reserved?  I'd love to get that package but money is a huge issue for me and I probably won't be able to pay for that package for a while but I'm interested in the cost.

mailto:seasontickets@whitesox.mlb.com

mailto:seasontickets@whitesox.mlb.com

My 27 game plan for two bleacher seats is about $1640, includes a parking pass for each game.

Ok here is just a thought: The Sox rarely sell out the upper deck, although I believe they attendance is getting better. Why not just make all tickets above the Poles $6 all the time, except those dates deemed premium ( Cubs, Yanks, Redsox).

This gets people to the park any night and they stay above the poles so it would not effect the season ticket holders.

I agree along that line.

Don't drop half price night totally on Tuesdays.

Make just the upper deck tickets half price on Tuesdays.

That hopefully keeps the "riff-raff" ;) farther away from the field (so that it is less likely that there will be an on-the-field incedent again), and also it keeps the extra 10,000 walkups needed to keep the attendence up.

I agree.

But, there are a lot of Sox fans that can only afford the half price nights. Not all Sox fans are making huge bucks and can afford to pay $25 per ticket on top of parking and food.

For my family, we go down whenever our schedule has an opening and we can make it down. It doesn't matter on the day or who they play. We go to see the Sox, we don't care about the prices or competition.

And for those people, there will still be 1.2 price mondays...

I know BB said it's about the season ticket holders, and it is to a point, but IMO the larger issue was the type of crowd that Tuesday night was attracting.

The White Sox are very consciously trying to build thier fan base by starting young, very young. They cater to families and little kids like no other big league club i've seen. It will pay them long term dividends to continue this approach, rather than cow-tow to the rowdies who want to "get their drink on" and cause trouble.

I would be upset if they completely eliminated the Half-price nights. and other promotions. (AAA half-price weeknights, Granton Marketing Coupon book, etc..) But there are still going to be budget options to view the sox...

The fact is the Tuesday night thing started to work too well...

That's fine. Season ticket holders shouldn't have to put up with that BS. But really, should non season ticket holders have to put up with that crap too, if they are good fans...just not with as much money/availablity as season ticket holders?  What i'm getting at is this: Sure, making the seats above the poles half price keeps them out of the lower bowl. But that's just shuffling chairs on the Titanic. If those same people are still in the park, there are still going to be the same fights. I was at one of those KC games last year where i saw 5-6 fights in the upper deck with my own eyes. I think you need to scrap half price night altogether then, not just banish them to the upper deck. It solves part of the problem...but really doesn't get at the root of the problem.

I like the idea of promoting more split season ticket packages, etc.

totally agree, abandon the whole thing. sounds good to me.

I agree along that line.

Don't drop half price night totally on Tuesdays.

Make just the upper deck tickets half price on Tuesdays.

That hopefully keeps the "riff-raff"  ;)  farther away from the field (so that it is less likely that there will be an on-the-field incedent again), and also it keeps the extra 10,000 walkups needed to keep the attendence up.

You see the whitesox are will tell us the season ticket holders don't like it. With this plan, (Above the Poles) it eliminates the season ticket holder excuse. Just trying to please all!

I really don't have a problem with this. With the 1/2 price nights, you brought in some new fans, i'm sure at least got a few new ones that will go to games ALOT more now. And the fans everyone doesn't want there won't come anymore....no problems from me.

And for those people, there will still be 1.2 price mondays...

I know BB said it's about the season ticket holders, and it is to a point, but IMO the larger issue was the type of crowd that Tuesday night was attracting.

The White Sox are very consciously trying to build thier fan base by starting young, very young.  They cater to families and little kids like no other big league club i've seen.  It will pay them long term dividends to continue this approach, rather than cow-tow to the rowdies who want to "get their drink on" and cause trouble.

I would be upset if they completely eliminated the Half-price nights. and other promotions.  (AAA half-price weeknights, Granton Marketing Coupon book, etc..) But there are still going to be budget options to view the sox...

The fact is the Tuesday night thing started to work too well...

This is what i'm also trying to get at - families are still in the upper deck, they'll see the fights that go on up there. I know season ticket holders wont' have to put up with it - but you'll know it's there, and i doubt you'll feel fine knowing it exists but isn't right in your vision, ya know?

I like the whole family-kid thing that Boyer is trying to do, and getting rid of the trash that comes on half price days (especially when the cubs are on the road) solves a lot of that problem.

One thing i have to reiterate from what Boyer said is this: If you have a problem with a fan around you, go to security. He said they have no patience for that stuff. I know most people just want to move, ignore it, whatever, but if it's bad just take a second to point it out to someone i guess. He seemed pretty concerned about everyone having a fun game experience.

Cheat, that's the big problem right there. A lot of people that go to those games aren't fans, they're there to get drunk and nothing else. Unfortunately that's how a lot of those crowds have ended up and because of these idiots, fights break out. It's smart for brooks to get rid of these half price tuesdays to eliminate some of the non fans who just go to the park to get wasted. But I guess if the sox do this to get rid of people who aren't fans and only go there to drink, then the flubs could never have a home game.

My opinion.

I can't talk, because I'm not a season ticket holder, but honestly, any way to get fans into the seats works for the White Sox. Its a lot better having some guy come in and get food and sit in a seat than having the seat empty and not helping the White Sox out with revenue.

how come tuesdays became fight nite but not mondays? they are both half price. has there just been more tuesday home games than monday home games?

won't the trouble makers just go on monday? :huh that won't stop the problem, just move it.

IMO, rather than a half-priced Tuesday, what about making it a more family-oriented Tuesday? Something like, four tickets, parking pass, four hot dogs, four drinks, two popcorns/nachos for I dunno, 70 Bucks? I really enjoy the dollar hot-dog Thursdays, I think they should, rather than cutting the ticket price, cut the food price on certain days.

My opinion.

I can't talk, because I'm not a season ticket holder, but honestly, any way to get fans into the seats works for the White Sox. Its a lot better having some guy come in and get food and sit in a seat than having the seat empty and not helping the White Sox out with revenue.

How about win. As you can tell from this year, when fans think you have a good team they come out to the park. Win and sign a marguee player. Lets see how htat works.

how come tuesdays became fight nite but not mondays? they are both half price. has there just been more tuesday home games than monday home games?

won't the trouble makers just go on monday? :huh that won't stop the problem, just move it.

Yea not too many monday games at all.

Yes it is, if for nothing else than this.

Under Rob Gallas, his marketing idea reinforced the belief that White Sox Baseball is only worth half the price that's printed on the ticket....

Holy cow........... someone finally gets the concepts of supply, demand and perceived value of the product!!