Manos seeks new deal from the Sox

aboz56

I really hope that we resign Jose. My reasons for this have pretty much been said by everyone else, so I won't repeat them.

Are there gonna be any other big name free agent SS's beside Nomar, Cabrera, and Renteria?

I’m glad to see that Jose wants to stick around. He has been a favorite of mine because of the way he plays. He’s a great SS with some very good power and it would be sad to see him leave. I’m pretty sure KW will give him a good offer.

Absolutely right there Alex, certainly a lot of things have changed with Jose over the past few months.

1) When KW resigned Jose to that 1 year deal during the offseason, a lot of people here at SoxTalk were crying foul over that particular move, myself included. How could you pay a shortstop who strikes out reguarly, is average in the field, and doesn't hit for a high average $5 million?

2) When Juan Uribe came in and set the house on fire at the top of the order, it looked like the end for Jose, especially considering his hamstring injury which forced him to miss a lot of time early. Uribe has struggled mightily lately though, and his next 2 months will be crucial on both his and Jose's future.

3) Jose himself has played at a really high level in the past 2 months. He's been our best hitter in the clutch, and has hit 17 homers and more than 50 RBI's I think, a great achievement considering the time he missed.

4) He's a Clubhouse Leader, and will be very important in the latter games of the season.

All in all, I actually think Jose could get a raise this offseason, if he continues hitting at a horrid pace. Of course this will depend on what happens with other SS's in Free Agency.

Edgar Renteria - Cards don't seem to have enough cash to resign him, and should get $10 million a year from some team.

Nomar - If dealt to a team like the Dodgers, I could see him signing a long term deal. He'll probably end up there anyways, earning a contract of double figures every year.

Orlando Cabrera - Really struggled this year, but if he's traded to a team like the Cubs and really starts to hit again, he'll get some money, think he wanted about $8 million last offseason in contract talks.

Jose didn't sign a one yr deal, KW picked up a team option on him.

At the time it seemed like alot for a team crying poor so loudly esp. when we still had lots of holes to patch, given a reasonable budget for our market I doubt you'd have heard nary a word about.

I think there's no doubt that Jose would get a raise on the open market, he would've last yr thus the reason for picking up his option.

The wild card in this is has trading for Carl cost us Jose next yr, I feel fairly confident that Jose would take a 2 yr $10 mil deal from us. The question is would Jose be willing to take it at $3 mil and $7 mil to help offset the cost of Carl.

Cabrera won't sniff anywhere near $8 mil nor will Nomar at $14 mil.

He's good all right, but lets not get silly.  We are still talking about a league with ARod and Tejada in it...

Silly?

Here are the numbers:

Jose Valentin - .535

Alex Rodriguez - .525

Miguel Tejada - .515

To be fair, Jose isn't actually the best slugger at his position. When I looked it up I was kind of surprised to see that Carlos Guillen holds that honor, at a .559 clip. But second ain't bad.

Silly?

Here are the numbers:

Jose Valentin  -  .535

Alex Rodriguez  -  .525

Miguel Tejada  -  .515

To be fair, Jose isn't actually the best slugger at his position.  When I looked it up I was kind of surprised to see that Carlos Guillen holds that honor, at a .559 clip.  But second ain't bad.

Who gives a s*** about this year's stats? I guess that Ken Harvey was the second coming of Tony Gwynn early on. rolleyeyes.gif

Guys like Alex Rodriguez and Miguel Tejada blow Valentin out of the f***ing water if we're talking about slugging capabilities.

Guys like Alex Rodriguez and Miguel Tejada blow Valentin out of the f***ing water if we're talking about slugging capabilities.

Except for this year. After Jose has made a significant change in his offensive gameplan. We have played 90 games, haven't we?

I think 2 years at 6 million per year is fair.

If Crede didn't absolutely suck, the Sox could take a gamble on putting Uribe at short for a whole year. But with a 3rd baseman that can't hit and shows no sign of life, Uribe may have to play 3rd (assuming he starts showing some life himself).

I think 2 years at 6 million per year is fair. 

If Crede didn't absolutely suck, the Sox could take a gamble on putting Uribe at short for a whole year.  But with a 3rd baseman that can't hit and shows no sign of life, Uribe may have to play 3rd (assuming he starts showing some life himself).

I was thinking more along the lines of $7 or $8 million for two years, total. I don't see paying Jose $6 mil per season..... then again, if you have no other option, they may not have much choice...

Problem with counting on Uribe as a backup plan is that Uribe is a utility player. He is not an everyday player for a whole season. He had a great start to this year and earned a lot of playing time, but playing most everyday has brought him back to reality. I think it would be awfully risky to count on him being a starter at all.

A $2 million pay CUT...??? Yea.. that'll happen.

Steff, at a certain point, taking a 2 or 3 year deal is not a paycut if a guy wants to keep playing. He could go year to year, but that is risky because one bad year could see him making $750k the next.

I would be surprised to see Jose get more than $5 mil per year in a multi-year deal.

I don't really understand people's fascination with making Uribe our every day starting SS as early as next year. I don't see him ever being a starting-caliber MLB player. He is a super utility guy. I think the true Uribe is showing himself right now, i don't think he's ever going to be close to that .300 hitter he was early in the year. If Uribe is starting at short next year, i'll say that this team has some problems (and probly missed the playoffs this year)

Steff, at a certain point, taking a 2 or 3 year deal is not a paycut if a guy wants to keep playing.  He could go year to year, but that is risky because one bad year could see him making $750k the next.

I would be surprised to see Jose get more than $5 mil per year in a multi-year deal.

I don't think he will either.. but to lowball him from his current pay...? Give him a base.. then a boatload of incentives to get him to $6 million the first year and $7 million the second. If we offer him a $2 million paycut.. I can't wait to hear the backlash on that one. Especially with him doing what was/is expected of him.

He's a good player. He'll get another offer somewhere.. and then we'll be sorry.

I don't think he will either.. but to lowball him from his current pay...? Give him a base.. then a boatload of incentives to get him to $6 million the first year and $7 million the second. If we offer him a $2 million paycut.. I can't wait to hear the backlash on that one. Especially with him doing what was/is expected of him.

He's a good player. He'll get another offer somewhere.. and then we'll be sorry.

I agree that i think someone will pay him the 5 mil (or whatever he wants), without a doubt. He is a valuable commodity, no matter his flaws.