benson a twin

hi8is

Problem is with that deal, is how much do we give up? I think if we would hav made that deal earlier, we could hav used the prospects we used in the Garcia trade and not got Freddy after all.

Pitt is dying to give up that contract. Frankly, I think that if the Sox were willing to take on Kendall's contract, not only would Pitt give us Benson, but it wouldn't take much more than a prospect or two to get both from Pitt - which, IMO, would make us a very, very good team. Kill three birds with one stone - a.) Improve our catching position. b.) Improve our staff. c.) Keep a solid pitcher away from Minny.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kent Benson will be a very solid starter the second and will help whoever gets him. If he ends up in Minnesota, that makes winning the division that much tougher. If Benson in Twinkieland doesn't scare you, so be it. But it concerns the hell out of me and hope Atlanta swoops in and gets him. They are supposed to be a dark horse/under the radar player in the Benson sweepstakes. If nothing else, Atlanta could drive up the acquisition price.

Kent Benson will be a very solid starter the second and will help whoever gets him. If he ends up in Minnesota, that makes winning the division that much tougher.

It's not Kent Benson I'm worried about, it's KRIS Benson.

You know what I mean? :headbang :lol:

Kent Benson will be a very solid starter the second and will help whoever gets him. If he ends up in Minnesota, that makes winning the division that much tougher.

It's not Kent Benson I'm worried about, it's KRIS Benson. 

You know what I mean?    :headbang  :lol:

Damn. I hate it when I have brain cramps like that. Thanks for not ruthlessly bashing me on that one, though it was undoubtedly deserved. :banghead

He's definitely going to be a rental for them though;

"If the Twins were able to trade for Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Kris Benson, his stay in Minnesota would be solely as a rent-a-player for the rest of the season. Benson's salary is $6.2 million, and he's expected to command at least $10 million a year as a free agent after the season."

"If the Twins were able to trade for Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Kris Benson, his stay in Minnesota would be solely as a rent-a-player for the rest of the season. Benson's salary is $6.2 million, and he's expected to command at least $10 million a year as a free agent after the season."

10 million for a guy who's ERA is between 4 and 5 in the NL?! I really am in the wrong business :lol: .

I'd be really surprised if he got $10 million per, but there are some stupid GMs out there.

And Garcia at 3-year $9 million looks more and more like a bargain.

Oh yeah, and Colon has righted himself. Check out his last four starts.

I'm guessing the Twins just realized that they don't need to make any improvements to win the division.

And they're probably right.

Maybe, but they aren't going to do much once in the playoffs without a little fine tuning.

For Nix? If i'm the Rangers, that's a terrible deal

Yes and no. Nix is a solid player. Didn't Pitt ask for Mench first? They have so much talent in the field, they really need pitching and may try to lock Benson up long term. Hart said he isn't dealing his young position players though. Wants to build long term and not just for the season, so I don't expect the Rangers to be in the sweepstakes for Benson.

Nix still has a lot of potential, IMO. Locking Benson up to a long term deal? I don't think that's a great move on their part. They gave Chan Ho Park a lot of money for the sake of spending on a pitcher. I don't think they should do the same here. I'd either trade him for younger pitching and/or save the money for FA acquisitions that are better than Benson

Nix still has a lot of potential, IMO. Locking Benson up to a long term deal? I don't think that's a great move on their part. They gave Chan Ho Park a lot of money for the sake of spending on a pitcher. I don't think they should do the same here. I'd either trade him for younger pitching and/or save the money for FA acquisitions that are better than Benson

They need pitching badly though. I doubt they do anything with Benson, I don't see them wanting to give up much.

I can't see the Rangers making that deal. They have a good young nucleus there and they now have the payroll flexibility to add missing pieces, like Benson, in the off season. They are ahead of schedule with their rebuilding and should not disrupt that plan now.