8/26 Maggs a "risk"

Texsox

Who would have thought on that play, Maggs would have gotten hurt that badly. I mean his knee was bent and didn't really get twisted in any real way. I figured soreness and a big bruise. Hell I thought Willie was hurt the worst. Looked like Willie could have broken his ankle on that play.

FWIW, I think maggs was already ailing from a knee issue before that incident.

Who would have thought on that play, Maggs would have gotten hurt that badly. I mean his knee was bent and didn't really get twisted in any real way. I figured soreness and a big bruise. Hell I thought Willie was hurt the worst. Looked like Willie could have broken his ankle on that play.

I don't doubt that in the least. He probably has a degenrating knee condition and it was just noticed due to that collision.

I don't doubt that in the least. He probably has a degenrating knee condition and it was just noticed due to that collision.

Or maybe the bleeding was minimal before that and the crash made it worse. Has it officially been called "degenerative knee"..??

Or maybe the bleeding was minimal before that and the crash made it worse. Has it officially been called "degenerative knee"..??

Not that I am aware of. In this case though I would not be surprised in the least if it is however. You are probably right he may have had slight bleeding in the knee and it worsened due to that hit. Most times you if you have bleeding in the knee its not a good sign.

Not that I am aware of. In this case though I would not be surprised in the least if it is however. You are probably right he may have had slight bleeding in the knee and it worsened due to that hit. <Shrugs> Most times you if you have bleeding in the knee its not a good sign.

I find it hard to believe that with all that is at stake, and with all the technology and resources at their disposal, Sox were willing to commit 70+ M on someone with all the markings of a genetic BM condition.

Reminds me of Sox running an MRI on Danny Wright a full year after his sharp drop in velocity coming into 2003 season. A bit too late, one would think.

better if the Sox kept their pie holes shut.

Why get a reputation with ALL players as a management group that plays rough with players.

What's to gain?

If Maggs is leaving anyway, suck it up and go on. Don't try to hurt his value. Word gets out among players that it's not a place where you want to play because the GM talks too much.

silly stuff

Don't count the Orioles out..

The problem with the Orioles is Angelos is a stickler when it comes to passing physicals. Insurance would be real tough to get on Magglio, and if he got it ,pretty freaking expensive. Unless, of course, Mickey Segal is released from prison, and Near North Insurance wants to write him a policy. Aaron Sele was set to sign with the O's about 4 or 5 years ago, but they flunked him on the physical and he won 18 or something like that for Seattle. I don't think the Mets want to take too much of a chance, considering their luck with Mo Vaughn. I posted earlier, I talked to someone who said he was a friend of Magglio, and reading the papers today, made me certain he was telling me the truth. He mentioned to me the $8 million figure, and I posted it last Saturday. He also said it most likely wouldn't be the White Sox giving him that money.

The only ten-plus million dollars the Orioles will invest this offseason is on pitching.

The Angels have no spot for Maggs.

The Yankees have Matsui and Sheffield at the corners, and already are locked up with Bernie and Lofton at center, and possibly Giambi at dh which doesn't leave much space for Magglio unless he decides to become a second baseman.

Lets say Maggs tries to better his value by staying in the AL. That would leave only a select few willing to pay him even the eight to ten million that the White Sox are discussing.

The only ten-plus million dollars the Orioles will invest this offseason is on pitching.

Exactly -- they're pretty happy w/ Tejada and Lopez, and rightfully so. Tejada in particular has been easily one of this year's best players.

I'm not so sure about the Yankees -- they'll move Bernie or Lofton or both. But if they don't want either in center, they'll go for Beltran, not Maggs.

I'm not so sure about the Yankees -- they'll move Bernie or Lofton or both.  But if they don't want either in center, they'll go for Beltran, not Maggs.

No one will take Bernie or Lofton. You have to remember, the Yankees have absolutely nothing in their farm system that could be thrown in with Lofton or Bernie.

Plus I don't think they'll treat Bernie that way after so many great years in pinstripes.

No one will take Bernie or Lofton.  You have to remember, the Yankees have absolutely nothing in their farm system that could be thrown in with Lofton or Bernie.

Plus I don't think they'll treat Bernie that way after so many great years in pinstripes.

Lofton's the more likely trade candidate. Someone will take him if the Yankees pay enough of his salary -- Lofton at the minimum wouldn't be a bad deal. And he's making too much, but little enough that the Yankees are able to make roughly that scenario possible. I used to think you may as well tattoo those pinstripes on Beltran, I'm not as sure now, but I still think the odds favor it.

The Yankees have Matsui and Sheffield at the corners, and already are locked up with Bernie and Lofton at center, and possibly Giambi at dh which doesn't leave much space for Magglio unless he decides to become a second baseman.

If they can get ordonez or beltran i am willing to bet williams and lofton will know longer be a yankee.

It seems like "degenerative" is a hot word around this site when it comes to describing injuries. I have not seen that word used in any article from a media source when talking about Magglio's injury.

BTW, I wonder if that degenerative hip is still effecting Konerko's swing like it did last year.

This is all I could come up with from another site:

Then Williams dropped the bomb in Detroit, suggesting that Ordonez, who was a tight squeeze in the budget when he was healthy, is certainly too much of a gamble for a 2005 team that will be built around starting pitching.

Ordonez, 30, has no hope of landing the five-year, $70 million contract he was seeking in April. But the New York Mets and San Francisco Giants remain interested, even if there are lingering concerns about his left knee.

Ordonez might have to settle for a one-year, incentive-heavy contract in the range of $8 million to $10 million. But he will get a decent offer somewhere. He just won't get that offer from the Sox, who have pitching dominating their thoughts.

I really don't know what to think about Maggs' situation yet. At the price he was originally asking I was sure he'd be gone, but his injury situation seems to have clouded things a bit. I highly doubt too many teams are going to invest major money in this situation. He had a season ending injury that may or may not be a degenerative thing. Look at how Vlad's back slowed down negotiations last year. He basically only got offers from Baltimore and the Angels at roughly what Maggs was originally asking for, and Vlad is younger, better, and came back to play that year after the injury. While Kenny saying that can't have helped things, I still think there is a possibility that Maggs is back at a reduced price. If Maggs doesn't receive any other major offers, I could see us offering a decent($8 mil) deal with some large incentive clauses, especially since the fact that he came through their organization seems to be a factor. However, I think any decent sized deal and we let him go and come up with some more media spin, while pouring the money saved into more pitching. In the end I think we will just have to wait and see what happens. This has a major effect on what could be an interesting offseason for the Sox.

I keep seeing speculation that Maggs could sign with the Sox for 8 to 10 million.  This can't be, can it?  I thought we could only reduce his salary by 20% which would be about 11.8 million.  Am I messed up with my thinking here?

I'm probably not the one who should respond to this(I'm not 100% sure), but I think that only applies for arbitration and getting the draft picks if we lose him(which we should probably do, interesting point). If he hits FA(very likely) we can sign him for whatever. I'm also not sure how incentives would fit into that. Ideally I'd like to see something like $8 mil base with the potential to pay him his $15 mil if he performs well(MVP type numbers, not just his .300 with 30 homers).

I just remember when that doctor was talking to Hawk about the injury on air about a week after he was put on the DL, Hawk was trying his best to make it sound like good news. He acted like nothing was wrong and Maggs was gonna be just fine. I didn't have anything close to that same feeling. I sure hope his career isn't over or affected forever by this. :(