White Sox could deal Lee or Konerko

DBAHO

White Sox G.M. Ken Williams likely will consider all options this offseason, including trading LF Carlos Lee or 1B Paul Konerko. Lee, headed toward his second straight 30-homer, 100-RBI season, is relatively affordable at $8 million in 2005 with an $8.5 million option for '06. The White Sox might move him if they can get multiple parts in return, including a quality young pitcher. They then could reinvest Lee's salary in other players. . . .

It's fair to criticize the White Sox's Williams for trading five prospects in separate trades for OF Carl Everett over the past two seasons, but keep in mind that Rangers reliever Frankie Francisco -- the most accomplished of the group thus far -- was available for $50,000 this winter when the Rangers left him unprotected for the Rule 5 draft. Francisco, who had an 8.41 ERA in seven Class AA appearances after joining the Rangers organization last season, began the week averaging 11.01 strikeouts per nine innings, fifth among A.L. relievers. . . .

I wonder what kind of young pitcher the Sox could get for Lee?

I would love to pull off some kind of Lee, Garland, Prospect for Ben Sheets and Scott Podsednik.

It's a dream I know, but damn I would love that deal.

As far as Konerko goes, and I've talked about wanting this deal before, but Konerko for J.T. Snow, don't know what else the Sox could package with Konerko to get Snow and a pitcher, but would SF be willing to part with Williams or Foppert? I know Foppert had TJ sugery last Sept, but I read he'll be called up in September to pitch out of the pen. I don't know what the deal with Williams is.

As far as I'm concerned the Sox can get rid of Lee and Konerko if they want to go for this whole "Southside Pitchmen, Southside Glovemen" thing from the article a few weeks back.

I wonder what kind of young pitcher the Sox could get for Lee?

I would love to pull off some kind of Lee, Garland, Prospect for Ben Sheets and Scott Podsednik.

It's a dream I know, but damn I would love that deal.

As far as Konerko goes, and I've talked about wanting this deal before, but Konerko for J.T. Snow, don't know what else the Sox could package with Konerko to get Snow and a pitcher, but would SF be willing to part with Williams or Foppert? I know Foppert had TJ sugery last Sept, but I read he'll be called up in September to pitch out of the pen. I don't know what the deal with Williams is.

As far as I'm concerned the Sox can get rid of Lee and Konerko if they want to go for this whole "Southside Pitchmen, Southside Glovemen" thing from the article a few weeks back.

If we deal one of Lee or Konerko, I think we will get a deal in the works of what happened with the J.D Drew trade last off-season. Drew went to the Braves for Jason Marquis, Ray King and Adam Wainwright. If we could get that type of deal for one of them, then I'd be all for making the deal, then we could possibly use Crede and Garland as trade bait to fill even more holes. Sabean's always willing to trade prospects, and if they miss out on Maggs, they could certainly use Lee or Konerko. Matt Cain or Jesse Foppert would look very nice on the southside.

The more I think about it, the more I want the 2005 White Sox to look almost completely different from the one on the field right now. If the only people from the O left after this season are Rowand and Thomas, it wouldn't bother me.

The more I think about it, the more I want the 2005 White Sox to look almost completely different from the one on the field right now. If the only people from the O left after this season are Rowand and Thomas, it wouldn't bother me.

IMO, you can add Ben Davis to that list as well. But all 6 other postitions are certainly up in the air for next season for sure.

Possible options could be Brad Wilkerson or Frank Catalanotto IF we don't pick up Everett's option, or we trade Carlos.

I believe Everett's option is a player's option. So, we'd have to trade him because he'll probably pick it up. Not sure for how much, but I think it's around $5 mil.

If we deal one of Lee or Konerko, I think we will get a deal in the works of what happened with the J.D Drew trade last off-season. Drew went to the Braves for Jason Marquis, Ray King and Adam Wainwright. If we could get that type of deal for one of them, then I'd be all for making the deal, then we could possibly use Crede and Garland as trade bait to fill even more holes. Sabean's always willing to trade prospects, and if they miss out on Maggs, they could certainly use Lee or Konerko. Matt Cain or Jesse Foppert would look very nice on the southside.

With SF talking about trading for Shawn Estes, they'd have to be interested in Garland by the deadline, you'd think. A guy like Matt Cain or LHP Pat Tisch [both in AA, who weren't on the 40man roster] would look nice, along with a position player or two. The playoff push may make SF overpay, with Bonds nearing his end.

As far as trading Lee, PK, Garland, Crede et al goes, the sox need to get depth for the high minors [guys who start 2005 in AA or AAA] and players for the 25 man roster.

IMO, you can add Ben Davis to that list as well. But all 6 other postitions are certainly up in the air for next season for sure.

I feel the same way. The cool thing though is if we can change the team to have a lot of Ozzie ball type players, they don't even have to be big names, I'd really like our chances. We all know our starting rotation isn't that far off if we can add a quality arm to the top or middle of the rotation.

So wait a minute here. Sox stand to lose:

Magglio - 14M

Konerko/Lee - 8/8.75

Koch - 6.2

Valentin - 5

Loaiza - 4

Everett - 2 (minus buyout)

Schoeneweis - 1.8

Politte - 900K

Wunsch - 800K

Sandy - 800K

Timo - 800K

Jackson - 800K

Robbie - cash

That means up to 45 million will be freed up. By some accounts, 2005 payroll will be at least 10M higher than the 2004 one, which sits near 70M mark. (2004 payroll is 16M higher than the 2003 one for the record.)

So logically, Sox could have up to 55 million to spend on FA, extensions and arbitration awards.

Shingo gets a 1.5M boost

Hurt - 2

Konerko/Lee - .5/1.5

Buerhle - 2

Freddy - 5

Davis - 2 (he was free in '04)

Garland - under 1

Uribe - under 1

Rowand - under 1

Marte - 750k

Contreras - 6 (free in '04)

Willie - peanuts

Borchard - peanuts

Burke -peanuts

So even after beefing up the bench and back-end of the pen (mostly with cheap rooks like Bajenaru, Munoz), that still leaves a lot to be spent on major FA upgrades at 3B, CF as well as SP and RP. Presumably.

So wait a minute here. Sox stand to lose:

That means up to 45 million will be freed up. By some accounts, 2005 payroll will be at least 10M higher than the 2004 one, which sits near 70M mark. (2004 payroll is 16M higher than the 2003 one for the record.)

So logically, Sox could have up to 55 million to spend on FA, extensions and arbitration awards.

Not quite sure all your math is right. I think with the Roser as it's currently organized, the Sox already have $62 million tied up for next year:

1 Freddy Garcia $8,000

2 Mark Buerhle $5,570

3 Carlos Lee $8,000

4 Paul Konerko $8,750

5 Frank Thomas $8,000

6 Jose Contreras $6,000

7 Damaso Marte $1,250

8 Juan Uribe $1,500 (est. arb. award)

9 Willie Harris $350

10 Aaron Rowand $1,500 (est. arb award)

12 Joe Crede $400

13 Ben Davis $1,000 (est. arb award)

14 Ross Gload $350

15 Shingo Takatsu $2,500

16 Jon Garland $3,400 (est. arb award)

17 Jon Adkins $350

18 Timo Perez $1,000 (est. arb award)

19 Jamie Burke $350

20 Neil Cotts $350

21 Carl Everett $4,000

That's only about $3-$4 million less than this year's starting payroll. Assuming the Sox can get value for Konerko or Lee, you are talking about the Sox having maybe $10-$11 million in payroll room going into next year. And with that $11 million, you have to fill the Ordonez gap, the Konerko/Lee gap, and the starting rotation gap. That's too much to overcome in the FA market, IMHO.

Even if payroll goes up to $70 million, that's still only $16-$17 million to fills those holes.

I wouldn't expect a payroll in excess of $70 million.

didn't the press said somewhere that jr said that kw will have around 20-25 mil to invest this offseason. barring any trade.

25 M can buy you a lot in the FA pool considering that 1st year salaries (see I-Rod, Tejada, Rolen) are usually pretty low.

This is why I believe Maggs is a good shot to return next season.  Not on a long contract, but 1-year deal with an option.

Remember the least we can offer Maggs is $11.2 million. Would you feel comfortable offering Maggs that much money with his future in question? Is is financially responsible to make that offer?

This is why I believe Maggs is a good shot to return next season.  Not on a long contract, but 1-year deal with an option.

Considering he'll be a DH playing the field, how much are you willing to spend on someone with his health issues? 5 M?

I'm cautious, but somebody is definitely going to pay maggs more than 11.2 MIL.

Holy s*** Borchard actually went yard... With men on base... All the way to the f***ing concourse.

Dude you are soooo lying :lol:

But seriously, you think Maggs will find that kind of money on the FA market with all of the injury fears? It would be interesting to see what his medical reports really look like.

Remember the least we can offer Maggs is $11.2 million. Would you feel comfortable offering Maggs that much money with his future in question? Is is financially responsible to make that offer?

I wonder if that's exactly right. Maggs cannot be given an arbitration-eligible offer of less than $11.2 million (an arbitration-eligible offer gets you a draft pick). But I wonder if he couldn't be made a non-arbitration-eligible offer.

This is a CBA question that is probably pretty difficult to answer without digging into the nitty gritty of the CBA.

I wonder if that's exactly right.  Maggs cannot be given an arbitration-eligible offer of less than $11.2 million (an arbitration-eligible offer gets you a draft pick).  But I wonder if he couldn't be made a non-arbitration-eligible offer.

This is a CBA question that is probably pretty difficult to answer without digging into the nitty gritty of the CBA.

I don't believe you can make a lower offer. Otherwise we would have had Carl Everett on the team from ST this season.