Everett Trade

fathom

After seeing all of our young prospects that have come up and pitched recently (Diaz, Stewart, Munoz), the Rauch and Majewski trade for Everett infuriates me even more. Rauch was clearly our prospect who was closest to contributing at the majors. The inability to develop young pitching will really hurt an average payroll team, cause it will cost a lot of the payroll to get even mediocre veterans to fill the rotation. Also, it would be good for the Sox if Everett declined the player option for some reason. We could really use that 4 million next year for a position where we need some help.

i didn't mind losing rauch, but i did mind getting everett. what a waste of time.

Yeah a lot of people didn't mind losing Rauch and I can understand why, I guess I just liked him from when he was drafted and it was kinda hard to see him go, not as hard as Kip Wells though, boy do i miss him.

Rauch showed time and time again he was not going to do it here. Now if he can do it in Montreal... great for them. He sucked here and showed no real signs he was going to be worth a damn.

In his two chances this year, Rauch pitched a great game against a terrific hitting team in the Indians. His other start was poor against the Angels. However, compared to the pitching performances given by the other 5th starters, that start looks like a quality start. Not to mention that he had a terrific ERA in the minors this year, and was off to a great start with the Expos.

In his two chances this year, Rauch pitched a great game against a terrific hitting team in the Indians.  His other start was poor against the Angels.  However, compared to the pitching performances given by the other 5th starters, that start looks like a quality start.  Not to mention that he had a terrific ERA in the minors this year, and was off to a great start with the Expos.

He pitched two games for the Expos. You've got to be kidding me if you're calling two games, or just over 10 innings pitched a great start...

Two things on Rauch ... one, he got hurt again - pulled his oblique or something.

Two, I was at that game he pitched for the Sox vs. Indians. To say that start was "great" is a big time exaggeration. He got the win but got hit hard. If not for an outstanding Rowand catch, he wouldn't have gotten out of the 5th inning.

Believe me, he was NOT that impressive in that game, and it was unfavorable conditions for the hitters (cold, drizzling, etc.).

After seeing all of our young prospects that have come up and pitched recently (Diaz, Stewart, Munoz), the Rauch and Majewski trade for Everett infuriates me even more.  Rauch was clearly our prospect who was closest to contributing at the majors.  The inability to develop young pitching will really hurt an average payroll team, cause it will cost a lot of the payroll to get even mediocre veterans to fill the rotation.  Also, it would be good for the Sox if Everett declined the player option for some reason.  We could really use that 4 million next year for a position where we need some help.

I tend to agree, but not only am I concerned about the Everett trade, but the Alomar trade too. We don't know who we are going to lose there yet. We have given up a number of prospects for those two and have nothing to show for it.

Two things on Rauch ... one, he got hurt again - pulled his oblique or something.

Two, I was at that game he pitched for the Sox vs. Indians.  To say that start was "great" is a big time exaggeration.  He got the win but got hit hard.  If not for an outstanding Rowand catch, he wouldn't have gotten out of the 5th inning.

Believe me, he was NOT that impressive in that game, and it was unfavorable conditions for the hitters (cold, drizzling, etc.).

All true, that was a crappy rainy cold afternoon.

Sun was shining when I got to the park but as soon as the game started the weather went to s***.

Rauch has been so-so then injured for Montreal.

Everett has been so-so for the Sox.

Majewski didn't really ever seem to be spoken about as a serious prospect here.

I'd call the whole thing a wash.

The only reason why I wouldn't say it's a wash for the Sox is the player option that Everett has for next year. The Sox don't need a 4 million dollar DH w/Frank returning. As Boston proved a few years ago when signing Ortiz for like 1 million, it's quite easy to find cheap players that could play DH.