Diaz pitches with stones

Heads22

Diaz was able to fool the Mariners just enough, he had pretty good movement on his pitches today.

His "stuff" looks weak though.

I doubt that he will be any more than a #4 starter.

He has trouble locating his medicore fastball and Major League quality hitters will wait and sit on his changeup.

I am one of the few Diaz fans left out there. He deserves a shot at #5 next year if he keeps pitching like he did today. One thing I noticed even in his bad starts he strikes out alot of hitters.

exactly, stop baggin on the kid. he pitched good today and let see if he can do it again. give him a chance.

:bringit

You do realize that if we do trade Jon Garland - that Felix Diaz would, in turn, be our fifth starter?  You do realize this, correct?

DBaho, I agree with your post.

Actually he'd be our 4th starter unless Schoenweis comes back. But I'd still take a healthy Schoenweis over this turd any day.

I enjoyed watching Diaz. It just bothered me that he couldnt finish ANYONE off it seemed like. He would get it 0-2 then dick around. He earned at least 2,3 more starts. Cant hurt.

makeno mistake about it Diaz was not "dicking around" -- Diaz has exceptional control, when he first was called up his problem was that he was throwing too many strikes and putting the ball over the fat part of the plate.

Today Diaz was doing a great job working just off of the corners. He may have benefited from a wide plate in part thanx to the opposing pitcher, who gets a notoriously wide plate. But Felix never had a pitch end up in the middle of the plate today, and that's why he was successful. He's learning the difference between throwing strikes in the minors and painting the corners in thhe Majors.

His last 9 innings have looked great. He looks to me like he's learned a lot so far.

To whoever questioned his "stuff" -- does he not have better stuff than the twenty game winner he opposed? Does he not have better stuff than Mark Buehrle? It's about location, and knowing what to throw; where and when. The

Actually he'd be our 4th starter unless Schoenweis comes back.  But I'd still take a healthy Schoenweis over this turd any day.

Well, I'm assuming that the Sox organization holds true and goes out and gets us a pitcher this offseason (I'm assuming one of Pedro/Radke/Clement/Perez/Pavano). That would push Jon back to the fifth spot. I think Schoeney is pretty much done with this team, but I could be wrong.

I think im more excited for Diaz then alot more people on this site. A few Strikeout pitches he had were pretty sick. He can throw a pretty good breaking ball to finish guys off. Im excited for Felix.

I've been supportive of diaz all along -- My eyes have told me that he's a better pitcher than his numbers show. Nuke bashes him, but com'on how much has he really seen of the guy over there in Korea(?) --

Diaz >>>> Schoeneweis

Where do you guys think Diaz is going to pitch next year? If we do keep Garland, and go out and sign another starting pitcher, there won't be room for him in the rotation.

We could throw him in the bullpen, going into the role that Jon Adkins filled this year - but that would probably mean that we didn't sign a good relief pitcher, which is a bad thing. We should have a lot of guys 'trying out' for our bullpen next year, including Baj, Diaz, Adkins - maybe even Munoz if he's able to pitch like he did when he was a reliever last year.

Thoughts?

I've been supportive of diaz all along -- My eyes have told me that he's a better pitcher than his numbers show.  Nuke bashes him, but com'on how much has he really seen of the guy over there in Korea(?) --

Diaz >>>> Schoeneweis

Diaz has more potential than Shoe, and Shoe has worn out his welcome here in Chicago. I'm all for giving Diaz more starts to prove himself and shutting down Freddy for the season.

Where do you guys think Diaz is going to pitch next year?  If we do keep Garland, and go out and sign another starting pitcher, there won't be room for him in the rotation.

We could throw him in the bullpen, going into the role that Jon Adkins filled this year - but that would probably mean that we didn't sign a good relief pitcher, which is a bad thing.  We should have a lot of guys 'trying out' for our bullpen next year, including Baj, Diaz, Adkins - maybe even Munoz if he's able to pitch like he did when he was a reliever last year.

Thoughts?

I've had a feeling for awhile that he's gonna be in the rotation -- I just see him either winning a battle in camp against some veteran for the 5th spot; or we actually do get a top of the line guy, and spin Jon Garland into some other need, thus leaving the 5th spot open again.

One thing is for sure. Diaz no longer belongs in AAA. He's pretty much proved all he has to down there in the bandbox at charlotte. This final month of the season is his time to learn what it takes at the big league level and spin that into a spot on the team next season in the bandbox in chicago.