I hope they don't trade Paulie...

guardianangel00

Maybe those of you in Chicago have a different perspective on the guy...

But one thing about Paulie I will always remember is when the Sox won the AL Central here in Minneapolis in 2000, I was there and He was one of the FEW White Sox to leave the dugout and celebrate with the Fans who were at the Metrodome.

If I remember right, he stayed and celebrated, high-fived the fans in the stands, went into the dugout, came back out and celebrated with the fans again, he even brought out Championship T-Shirts that he tossed into the stands. I still will always remember, the fans here were chanting to have Frank Thomas come out and after about 10 minutes or so...He finally came out of the dugout and all he did was waive to the fans from about half way from the first base line to the stands.

I used to like Thomas so much...but that one scene just made me lose a lot of respect for a Star that I enjoyed watching play for a long time.

I know Paulie has a big contract and he's had his problems at the plate and he's very very very slow....but I'd hate to see a class act like that go. He still performs...I hope there's a way we can still keep him.

Like I said maybe you guys in Chicago have a different opinion, but I will always remember this about Paul Konerko.

I guess it meant a lot to me to know...that in today's age of high priced ball players someone still has time for the fans.

Why does everybody on this board play Carlos against PK? It's not like they play the same position. Personally, I cannot see trading Lee at all. We are a weak offensive club, and he is hitting .300 with fair power and he hustles most of the time. No one on this team is going to replace him. PK, on the other hand, is more expendable, because he had a great year and he is replaceable (Gload). No one knows what kind of market value he has.

Why does everybody on this board play Carlos against PK?  It's not like they play the same position.  Personally, I cannot see trading Lee at all.  We are a weak offensive club, and he is hitting .300 with fair power and he hustles most of the time.  No one on this team is going to replace him.  PK, on the other hand, is more expendable, because he had a great year and he is replaceable (Gload).  No one knows what kind of market value he has.

There are arguments for both being traded. KW really just has to take everything and anything into consideration and make the deal that helps the team the most.

I think trading Konerko would be the best option, personally...but there are several things that could come into the picture and change everything in a second.

i like them both, but i think because of our minor-league OF depth and the fact that we have to keep everett, trading lee is the better option between the two.

Chances are 1 of them do but who says any of them turn into anything in the majors. We already have a decent feel of what gload can do.

There are arguments for both being traded.  KW really just has to take everything and anything into consideration and make the deal that helps the team the most.

I think trading Konerko would be the best option, personally...but there are several things that could come into the picture and change everything in a second.

One thing that I really liked was a few days ago when KW said he wasn't oging to get rid of the home run hitters. That isn't to say one of them or two of them will be gone, but he realizes a team full of only speed and what not still won't be sucessful.

He's going to add a leadoff hitter or two and potentially change up most of the infield. My guess is that the Sox have a new 3B, and a new SS or 2B with Uribe at the other spot. You could even have a new first baseman, but bottom line, I think both Lee and Konerko stay...just got a feeling.

Honestly you can't blame either one of them for the teams struggles. Both have had awesome years and are hard workers. They aren't whats wrong with the club. Sure, you could use a left handed bat and what not, but find a RF with a left handed bat and then Everett and Gload can compete for LF. That will balance this lineup out, imo.

Hell, the only thing the Sox have to really worry about is the amount of absolute garbage guys they had on offense. I'm talking about Willie, sans a short hot streak and then Crede, the catchers position, RF (sans Maggs), and Jose Valentin. Thats what made this offense inconsistent. Hell if I recall Konerko has been one of hte most steady players in the majors this year and Lee has been pretty good minus a slow start.

I know I've suggested some different ideas, but I think the most realistic idea is the Sox pretty much staying put, adding an outfielder with a left handed bat, adding a shortstop or 2B for the top of the lineup, adding a FA 3B or trade and going from that.

I do think the Sox are going to have a few differences on offense, I just don't necessary think Lee/Konerko are going to be those changes. Maggs being gone will be one of em though.

Also, I expect to see pretty hefty changes to the pen and wouldn't be shocked to see two new starters, although I feel very confident at the very least we'd see one.

The whole problem comes to how Kenny is going to acquire all these needed positions without adding salary. This is why the lack of assistance from the minors the past year to two is really hurting this club.

They thought they could fill with Willie, Crede, Borchard, and Olivo (anyone happen to notice the fact he's hitting like under .200 in 46 games or so with the Mariners). So far all of them have failed in my book. You expect growth and on the most part, minus Olivo, I have seen absolutely ZERO growth.

I think both Lee and Konerko stay...just got a feeling.

Honestly you can't blame either one of them for the teams struggles. Both have had awesome years and are hard workers. They aren't whats wrong with the club. Sure, you could use a left handed bat and what not, but find a RF with a left handed bat and then Everett and Gload can compete for LF. That will balance this lineup out, imo.

If we keep Lee and Konerko, Everett and Gload have no shot at competing for LF.

They thought they could fill with Willie, Crede, Borchard, and Olivo (anyone happen to notice the fact he's hitting like under .200 in 46 games or so with the Mariners). So far all of them have failed in my book. You expect growth and on the most part, minus Olivo, I have seen absolutely ZERO growth.

You are overlooking Aaron Rowand here. He's full fledged major leaguer now.

is jaque jones a FA? i thought he was. anyway, my thought was to trade lee for pitching help (like, maybe a really good bullpen arm + a prospect), sign jones to play RF, and let gload and everett compete for LF. it'd balance the lineup a little bit while adding a great fielder with more speed than, well, timo or maggs. plus jones always kills us (except for buerhle); it'd be nice to not have to deal with playing against him for a while. then we'd still have plenty of money left over to go after starting pitching.

I hope neither of them leave!

I think you have said it right. Short and sweet. We should keep both of them. I just don't think it is right thinking that we need to trade our best players in order to fill a hole we think we have. All you do is open up another hole. I think we are forgetting that Maggs will probaly be gone in '05 and if we trade Paulie or Varlos we are opening up another hole that will need to be filled. I believe there are other ways to find the impact players we need and basically that is through the free agent market.

i know a guy thats a cubs fan, he says he doesnt like the sox because there are too many hispanics and blacks. a cubs fan says that!

:unsure: That's hard to believe that somebody would think that, and even if they did would say it publically..unless he wears a white hood during the weekends..pathetic

I think you have said it right. Short and sweet. We should keep both of them. I just don't think it is right thinking that we need to trade our best players in order to fill a hole we think we have. All you do is open up another hole. I think we are forgetting that Maggs will probaly be gone in '05 and if we trade Paulie or Varlos we are opening up another hole that will need to be filled. I believe there are other ways to find the impact players we need and basically that is through the free agent market.

But trading Konerko or Lee wouldn't just fill one whole. IMO, it would at least fill two out of these following 'holes':

-Give us a solid position player, probably a leadoff man.

-Shore up the bullpen by getting a stud to get to Shingo.

-Get us one real good minor league prospect.

-Give us a number three starter.