Crazy trade idea

witesoxfan

I just posted in the Sports Bar about Jose Guillen being suspended the rest of the year for his actions last night in the Oakland game. I also mentioned that we should look into the situation and see if Anaheim wouldn't be willing to deal him.

What I thought about was the possibility of us acquring him for our OF. Hear me out...

I figure that Anaheim may be looking for a 1B in the offseason...I am not sure if they plan on putting Kotchman there, or what they plan on doing. I think maybe they'd look at Konerko's power numbers and they'd be in love with what he could do for them, giving them a stud power threat to replace their stud power threat Troy Glaus who will almost undoubtedly sign elsewhere in the offseason(I think possibly Seattle). All we do is ask for Jose Guillen...and they accept, giving us an OF of Lee-Rowand-Guillen from left to right, and in the process, save $4-5 mill.

After doing that, we then look to trade Lee...and what we'd do in trading Lee is try to get a similar package to the one Milwaukee got for Richie Sexson...it wouldn't be nearly as large, and wouldn't be near the highway robbery Milwaukee got...but we'd just basically get a good package of players for Lee. For s***s and giggles, we'll say we trade Lee to Baltimore for Julio, Hairston, and a prospect. Julio then slips into the back end of our pen and Hairston becomes our everyday 2Bman.

In making those deals, we have opened up roughly $12 mill extra for us to go out and get FA's. With that money, the Sox could either look to sign Pedro(which I would not want unless they want to make other moves as well), or they look to sign Beltran to a big-time deal, and then get a decent starter too...we'll say for the hell of it Radke for $7 mill per over 3 with an option for the 4th year.

At that point, upgrading at 3B becomes totally debateable...we can look to trade Crede in and try to get some extra money to help pay for a FA to replace him, or we can keep him and hope he gets hot. For the hell of it, I'll say we keep him.

Hairston - 2B

Rowand - LF

Beltran - CF

Thomas - DH

Guillen - RF

Gload - 1B

Uribe - SS

Davis - C

Crede - 3B

Garcia

Radke

Buehrle

Contreras

Garland

Cotts

Adkins

Politte

Marte

Julio

Shingo

What I have mentioned above will make around $70 mill next year, and the bench would be another $5 mill, so the payroll would be around $75 mill.

Now, I'm not sure this is even possible...I quite honestly do not know if Anaheim is interested in trading Guillen or not, even after his tirade...but if it were, I do feel this would make the Sox better, and would be a hell of a cool move too.

Also, I'm wondering if maybe we couldn't just make a thread for everybody to come up with some far fetched idea, like mine or like Jason's idea with the A's, and have it pinned, just so we can see what everyone's thinking about.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From rotoworld.

Angels suspended outfielder Jose Guillen for the rest of the season and the playoffs for inappropriate conduct following his removal from Saturday's game.

Guillen became animated after he was replaced by a pinch-runner Saturday, and things must have got very heated in the clubhouse after the game. The Angels are trying to suspend him without pay, so there's a good chance we'll see a grievance here. It also seems likely that the Angels will seek to trade him this winter. Guillen is in the middle of a two-year, $6 million contract with an option for 2006. Despite his attitude problems, the Angels will get decent value should they move him. With Guillen out, the team will probably use a platoon of Jeff DaVanon and Adam Riggs in left field for the rest of the season. Sep. 26 - 9:12 pm et

So it looks like he will be some where else next year.

Looks like they would be willing to move him next year since they have had some other problems besides this with him.

I dunno.  I thought they were different enough that they deserved two different threads.

Maybe I can be the first person on Soxtalk to have two of the threads he started combined. That would be such an honor!  :wub:  :lol:

I'll merge them if ya want, but I like Wite's idea of having a thread for 1 trade idea for each SoxTalk member and pinning it too.

I'll merge them if ya want, but I like Wite's idea of having a thread for 1 trade idea for each SoxTalk member and pinning it too.

Do whatever you would like just thought it would be easier. He is right they are pretty different from each other so they should probally both stay seperate.

Damn forgot about Everett...this is true.

So maybe the bench is around $7 mill...or maybe Everett's ass is dumped elsewhere.  One or the other will happen.

Well if we got beltran i am sure we could trade everett for some sort of relief help early. Which is always needed especially since i do not want to see all of cotts, diaz, adkins in the pen.

Damn forgot about Everett...this is true.

So maybe the bench is around $7 mill...or maybe Everett's ass is dumped elsewhere.  One or the other will happen.

I wish the Sox could just forget about Everett. That 4 million is going to be such an albatross to the team. Again, what in the blue hell was KW thinking acquiring him knowing that Everett had the expensive player option? You could sign players like Everett on the market for about 1.5 mil a year. He's a below average player (for his position) on the downside of his career.

But he says he'll be in great shape come next year!

Screw that. There's a reason why you never trade for a guy who's been "banged" up that year. It's one thing if there's a particular injury. However, Everett was ailing from a variety of injuries. It would be like trading for Nomar. Wait, the Cubs did....and they've had to put up with a variety of injuries also.

You're right that is crazy. Maybe if you switch Konerko and Lee to different teams it could work. Kotchman will be the Angels 1B next season. The Orioles, IMO, have enough hitting after getting Lopez and Tejada this offseason, so they would be looking for pitching not a hitter like Lee. And they wouldn't want to give pitching away. Not to say they wouldn't take Lee if the right deal came up, but don't look for them to deal pitching for hitting this offseason. The other teams would not make those trades. The Angels might want Lee for Guillen but I don't see why the Sox would necessarily want that. It's a bit of a sideways step for the Sox if you ask me.

Why in the hell would the Sox actively seek a problem child?  The Sox need to get away from that kind of player. 

Why? Because he's hit .294 27 104 this year. Because his average with runners on base is .344. Because his average with RISP is .327. Because his average with the bases loaded is .455(5-for-11). Because his average with men on with 2 outs is .312. Because his average with a man on 3rd and less then 2 outs is .414.

I want to get him because he's a damn good ball player and because he helps you win games.

If having a good, team-first, non-selfish attitude was everything when it came to baseball, what would be the point in the White Sox having Frank Thomas?

Dan, just to note...I honestly was not sure what the Angels situation was at 1B next year...I kind of figured they had Kotchman to play there, but wasn't real sure if they were going to keep him there or not. I was basically throwing an idea against the wall and seeing what else could come of it.

And how much have the Sox won with Frank over the years?? Perhaps you have answered your own question?

The Sox have rarely had a good team around Thomas...when James Baldwin and Mike Sirotka lead your team in ERA, you know you have a problem...and when they have had good players around Thomas, they've had good teams. 94, 94, 00, hell, even 03 too.

He is a very good hitter, but he can't do everything himself...he does need support. He is not Barry Bonds.

All I'm saying is that if you do not get a player because he has some type of problem but still produces on the field and still helps your team win games, and instead settle for someone who does not put up the same numbers but may cost more and will not help you win as many games, you lose.

If you get him, and you have problems, things will be figured out after that...a deal will probably be made at some point in time.

Gary Sheffield has always been a prick, and probably always be a prick, but he helps his team win games.

NO NO NO NO NO to Jose Guillen. I talked to an Oakland scout about him earlier this year, they said the guy is a complete asshole. He also said he's probably the biggest clubhouse cancer in the game today.

Sure he's got a lot of talent, but Ozzie and he would clash for sure.

CWSOX45