Gammons -God I hope he's wrong!

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

I stoled this from WSI, so take it FWIW. Poster from Boston said that Gammons on Boston radio Sunday said Reinsdorf has told the executive council (and remember Reinsy is on the Montreal relocation committee) that he would like to see the White Sox move into the East Division. He said Toronto would want to move to the Central. All part of getting Montreal into Washington and the Orioles into the NL.

Well, that would suck.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That means he would HAVE to boost the payroll.

Why would the Sox want to move to a tougher division and add more airtravel to their schedule? Plus they would either have to add payroll, or just blow up the team and start over again, because the inbetween stuff would kill them.

I don't buy it.

Why would the Sox want to move to a tougher division and add more airtravel to their schedule?  Plus they would either have to add payroll, or just blow up the team and start over again, because the inbetween stuff would kill them.

I don't buy it.

Why would JR put baseball down a path of a work stoppage when he had the best white sox team in 80 years and the best chance at a World Series? Because he's an idiot.

Why would JR put baseball down a path of a work stoppage when he had the best white sox team in 80 years and the best chance at a World Series? Because he's an idiot.

Let me put it this way. When this team goes into the toilet and no one goes to the ballpark, he won't be making any money. That is what the strike was about was controling salaries so that they could make more money, this move would kill the White Sox.

Let me put it this way.  When this team goes into the toilet and no one goes to the ballpark, he won't be making any money.  That is what the strike was about was controling salaries so that they could make more money, this move would kill the White Sox.

He doesn't care if there are 30,000 Yankee fans in the house.

Right on, brother!

JR is an asshole, but he's not stupid. IF he was planning such a move, there would have to be a huge financial incentive for him to do so.

Either that, or he's moving East to pave the way for an eventual move of the team to Charlotte, NC.

Here's the question:

Would attendance increase or decrease?

Series vs. Twins and Tigers

or

Series vs. the Bo Sox and Yankees?

How about the DRays and Blue Jays?

How about all of the extra losses that this team will have early in the year because they are playing in a much better division? And what happens when the Sox are out of it? No one goes. They will be drawing 8,000 in April and July-September for anyone who isn't the Yankees or Red Sox. Yeah those 20 games that the Yanks/Sox are here will be full of their fans, but all of the rest of the games will plummet, because White Sox fans won't pay to see a team that doesn't have a chance at winning.

How about the DRays and Blue Jays?

How about all of the extra losses that this team will have early in the year because they are playing in a much better division?  And what happens when the Sox are out of it?  No one goes.  They will be drawing 8,000 in April and July-September for anyone who isn't the Yankees or Red Sox.  Yeah those 20 games that the Yanks/Sox are here will be full of their fans, but all of the rest of the games will plummet, because White Sox fans won't pay to see a team that doesn't have a chance at winning.

If we cannot beat the Yankees and Red Sox and compete for a World Series, why does anyone go now?

If we cannot beat the Yankees and Red Sox and compete for a World Series, why does anyone go now?

Because for most of the year, this team was in the divisional race. As soon as the team fell out, the only games that had big attendance were games that had big pre-sales. The sooner this team falls out of the race, the sooner attendance plumments. It is pretty much a proven fact. If we are out of the race in May instead of August, we will draw somewhere in the area of a million people instead of 2.

Because for most of the year, this team was in the divisional race.  As soon as the team fell out, the only games that had big attendance were games that had big pre-sales.  The sooner this team falls out of the race, the sooner attendance plumments.  It is pretty much a proven fact.  If we are out of the race in May instead of August, we will draw somewhere in the area of a million people instead of 2.

Then how does Baltimore draw all those fans? 2.5 million in 2003; 2.7 in 2002; and 2.5 year to date?

Maybe Sox fans are not as loyal? Our stadium isn't as nice? The weather is better in Baltimore?

MLB attendance stats (road)

Road Attendance Numbers:

#1 Yankees 40,503

#2 Cubs 37,100

#3 Red Sox 36,228

Who would want more games with the #1 and #3 biggest draws in baseball.

When they could have:

#25 Cleveland

#27 Detroit

#30 Minnesota

#31 Kansas City

I should add Baltimore is #18, Tampa Bay is #24, and Toronto #26.

Edited by Texsox

We would also recieve more mention on ESPN, with their East Coast bias. More nationally televised games, and that could help develop more fans.

I think it sucks for our competitiveness, but from a business stand point, I could see JR accepting cheerfully the switch. That would give us the complete sweep from Central to West Coast to Central to East Coast in my lifetime.

Edited by Texsox

So out of curiousity where do Baltimore, Toronto and Tampa Bay rank without the Yankees and Red Sox home games skewing their numbers? It is easy to post those numbers and say that but you do realize that by playing all of those games in Boston which sold out it entire season, and NY which leads MLB in home attendance, those numbers are all bogus.

The AL central is last in MLB in HOME attendance. Which when you play about half of your games against the AL Central, just goes to reason that AL Central road attendance would be pretty s***ty.

And finally there is no correlation between how many Yankees and Red Sox fans go to see their team play the DRays in the Bronx, and how many people will go to see them in Chicago. Unless you are honestly trying to tell me that the Blue Jays, Devil Rays, and Orioles have huge followings. Is that what you are telling me?

Then how does Baltimore draw all those fans? 2.5 million in 2003; 2.7 in 2002; and 2.5 year to date?

Maybe Sox fans are not as loyal? Our stadium isn't as nice? The weather is better in Baltimore?

Because the cubs dont play on the other side of baltimore. Face it, especially with the flubs making playoff runs, the chicago fans are jumping on the fair weather band wagon quick as ever.

So out of curiousity where do Baltimore, Toronto and Tampa Bay rank without the Yankees and Red Sox home games skewing their numbers?  It is easy to post those numbers and say that but you do realize that by playing all of those games in Boston which sold out it entire season, and NY which leads MLB in home attendance, those numbers are all bogus.

The AL central is last in MLB in HOME attendance.  Which when you play about half of your games against the AL Central, just goes to reason that AL Central road attendance would be pretty s***ty.

And finally there is no correlation between how many Yankees and Red Sox fans go to see their team play the DRays in the Bronx, and how many people will go to see them in Chicago.  Unless you are honestly trying to tell me that the Blue Jays, Devil Rays, and Orioles have huge followings.  Is that what you are telling me?

No matter where the Yankees, Cubs, and Bo Sox travel to, they draw bigger crowds. I am showing the ROAD rankings of attendance. So the Yankees draw an average of 40,000+ away from Yankee Stadium.

Let's look at home attendance:

#1 Yankees, #12 Boston, #13 Baltimore, #25 Toronto, #30 Tampa Bay

#22 White Sox, #23 Detroit, #24 Minny, #26 Cleveland, #28 Kansas City

Which group do you want to be part of? Do you think we will drop down to Toronto type numbers or increase to Baltimore type numbers?

With more games against the premier teams in baseball, those teams that draw national attention, are in the thick of the race, with the superstars of baseball, we will increase attendance.

Now the downside is we will be closer to the Washington Generals than the Globetrotters. But from a business profit standpoint, I can see why JR would explore the idea.