Gammons -God I hope he's wrong!

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

Why bother asking.

I would guess it would be along the lines of "cause they are the team I like" or something like that.

That's my argument also. Difference is I don't take it so personally and spend a good portion of my time whining about what I "think" is the Sox financial status.

Baseball is entertainment for me. If the Sox win, yea.. if they lose it does not effect my everyday life.

It doesn't sound like there is any love there at all. All I ever hear is hate. There is always all this venom about being mediocre, and not being happy, and not getting this player, and trading away that player, and the owners lining their pockets etc.

I know anything I had that much venom for, I would never follow or give one red dime to. And I sure wouldn't waste my time caring about them. If I thought the Sox had this huge secret revenue stream that was making everyone rich, while screwing the fans, I sure as hell wouldn't be giving them any of my money.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stoled this from WSI, so take it FWIW. Poster from Boston said that Gammons on Boston radio Sunday said Reinsdorf has told the executive council (and remember Reinsy is on the Montreal relocation committee) that he would like to see the White Sox move into the East Division. He said Toronto would want to move to the Central. All part of getting Montreal into Washington and the Orioles into the NL.

Well, that would suck.

If Reinsdorf does that then he needs to be shot. Why in the Hell would the Sox move to the East? Cleveland is closer to the East. The only thing i can think of is Reinsdorf would make the Yanks and Red Sox an EXCUSE so he doesn't have to field a competive team. :fyou Reinsdorf sell the team PLEASE!!

You are getting me totally mixed up with the other ones.  I don't believe the Sox are in this to make a ton of money.  But they are also not in this to lose money.  I haven't said anywhere that the Sox should go to a lower payroll.  I said if they were really interested in maximizing profits first, that they would go to a tiny payroll.  But they don't.  They try to win it, with out endangering the financial sitation of the team, like teams like Arizona have done.

I believe if the Sox go to the AL East with this current team, that they will lose a lot more games, and attendance will drop at Comiskey Park.  History has shown that attendance is the direct indicator of payroll for JR and Co.  That means payroll will drop soon after a move.

I wish you would actually answer some of my questions for once, instead of just asking me more questions. 

Do you think the Sox will win more games after a move to the AL East?  If we can't beat teams like the Twins, how are we going to stay competitive against the Yankees and Boston?  What kind of payroll can the Sox afford?  How much money would it take to compete against those guys?

Your quotes

You are basing the arguement on two teams. Yes the Yankees and Red Sox will draw more fans here. There are 11 teams that they Sox will play 62 other games against. (Add in the fact that we already play 9 games against those teams so the difference becomes 10 games instead of 19.) Throw out the 3 Cubs sellouts, and there are still 59 other game's that attendance will suffer greatly because there will be no reason to go to them. So as I see it..

Like it or not the Chicago White Sox are bottom feeders in Chicago. They are the by-line to the Cubs headline. Look at their attendance numbers. Even when the Sox play better than the Cubs they still get out drawn. And that isn't going to change by becoming a guarenteed 3rd or 4th place team. It will only get worse if this team has no chance.

If they really wanted to make maximum money, they would melt down this team just like Tampa Bay and go in with a $30 million payroll. They would make tons of money.

I am trying to understand your theory. Winning equals profits in the Central, low payroll equals profits in the east. I think that's what you are stating. Of course the central point is that Sox fans are fair weather and will only attend if the team is winning, except if you drive the payroll low enough, the team could make a profit on the lowest possible attendance.

Would they win more games? Probably not. I would say definatly not, but we couldn't beat the Tigers yet we did ok vs. the Yankees so I'll leave a little wiggle room.

My point wasn't from a competitive arena. I already said three times from a competitive standpoint it is a disaster. Without a salary cap, I would guess we would never win a division.

The debate was over profits. I believe they would make more money in the AL East than in the Central. When the season is over, like it has 9 of the past 10 seasons, more fans will continue to the park for season ending series against the Yankees, Red Sox, and about the same to see the Bucs and Blue Jays and the Tigers and Twins. Overall attendance would increase. Merchandising would increase, tv ratings would increase, national exposure would increase.

I don't know about you guys, but, I only have x amount of money for my "entertainment budget".

I am not willing to throw it away on a below average product...it's that simple!

Then why did you waste the last 25 years of your life on this team? If this ownership group has been that bad for that long, why are you still a Sox fan? Just because there is no viable alternative? Like I said all they seem to do is give you misery.

I don't know about you guys, but, I only have x amount of money for my "entertainment budget".

I am not willing to throw it away on a below average product...it's that simple!

But MLB is the greatest show on earth. No matter who is playing.

Imagine how much fun we'll have if this becomes real :lol:

southsider claims no one will go to games if the team is not competitive, he also claims (probably true) they will not be competitive in the AL East. So how many here will stop supporting the team? How many here will not go to any games?

Southsider, you said no one will go if the team isn't competitive then criticize 4E for stating the same thing.

:lolhitting I am so confused. :lolhitting

Imagine how much fun we'll have if this becomes real  :lol:

southsider claims no one will go to games if the team is not competitive, he also claims (probably true) they will not be competitive in the AL East. So how many here will stop supporting the team? How many here will not go to any games?

Southsider, you said no one will go if the team isn't competitive then criticize 4E for stating the same thing.

:lolhitting I am so confused.  :lolhitting

:headbang

Imagine how much fun we'll have if this becomes real  :lol:

:lolhitting I am so confused.  :lolhitting

I am not criticizing him. I am simply asking him why. As I have repeated, with that much hate and venom for the organization, why waste your time and money?

I am not criticizing him.  I am simply asking him why.  As I have repeated, with that much hate and venom for the organization, why waste your time and money?

I don't waste my money going to games!

BTW...if a movie came out that you and everyone else knew would be 2 stars at best, would you still go?

I love the Sox, I watch many games on tv!

I have been to 2 games this year...NONE after July!

I am not spending my money on a team that gives me nothing in return!

And Tex, there you have your casual fan. The Sox started losing, he quit going. Go look at the Sox game by game attendance, and tell me that attendance wouldn't plummet if we moved to the AL East.

I am not criticizing him.  I am simply asking him why.  As I have repeated, with that much hate and venom for the organization, why waste your time and money?

Ahhh the "White Sox, Love It of Leave It" argument. If you are a fan, don't criticize.

I wonder sometimes myself why I care so much about a team 1,500 miles away. With no team within 400 miles, I am a free agent of sorts. Pulling for Houston makes sense. The Yankees do have all that tradition . . .

I don't waste my money going to games!

BTW...if a movie came out that you and everyone else knew would be 2 stars at best, would you still go?

It depends, I am going around saying that I have been a fan of the movie since 1972 critisizing its management company, production costs, actors in the movie, and how many people pay to see the movie OR am I just a fan who likes the movie and the entertainment I get out of it?