Sox Finish Tied with Florida

CWSGuy406

So, why is that important?

I believe it was Heads (I could be wrong about that, though) who said that if we finished fifteenth or below (worst record-wise), we wouldn't have to give up our first round pick in next year's draft if we sign a Group/Class A Free Agent. I don't know how the rules work as to us being tied with Florida, but Florida did take two out of three from us this year - so I'm hoping that we will get the 15th spot, and Florida will take 16th.

But I could be wrong on that. Can anyone clarify? Grr - I hate being middle of the pack. I really wish that we tanked it so much down the stretch that we got a top ten pick, but oh well...

So, why is that important?

I believe it was Heads (I could be wrong about that, though) who said that if we finished fifteenth or below (worst record-wise), we wouldn't have to give up our first round pick in next year's draft if we sign a Group/Class A Free Agent.  I don't know how the rules work as to us being tied with Florida, but Florida did take two out of three from us this year - so I'm hoping that we will get the 15th spot, and Florida will take 16th.

But I could be wrong on that.  Can anyone clarify?  Grr - I hate being middle of the pack.  I really wish that we tanked it so much down the stretch that we got a top ten pick, but oh well...

Maybe the minor league hard core nerds could answer this.

Alright, here's the proof. From the September 29th Ask BA with Jim Callis.

The reason is that baseball has changed its draft rules, effective in 2005. Rather than having the leagues take turns going first and alternating picks, the draft order now will be based solely on team records from the previous year (and the year before that, if needed to break ties).

So, there you have it.