rather than vizquel

GoodAsGould

how about Placido Polanco if im right im pretty sure he is a FA and he looks a lot more attractive to me then vizquel and he is only 29.... idont know how much he will cost but im pretty sure he made like 3,900,000 this year for the phillies. that allows us room for other improvements also.

I like the idea of Vizquel, I like the idea of Polanco, either one shouldn't cost to much money, would provide a solid hitter in the 2 hole and allow the sox to still go out and acquire more pitching. Uribe takes over the other position and willie comes off the bench, signing Polanco or Vizquel would be a great idea, imo.

Vizquel is the type of player The Sox are indicating they want. I say go for him. Like I said on a previous thread, make Uribe the 2B and put Harris in CF and move Rowand to right.

I am sorry but having Harris in center scares the heck out of me and I am not the only one. It seemed like whenever he was out there he would always take the wrong route to the ball. Not only that but it also seemed like the opposing team would always take an the extra bag with him out there. I don't think his arm is strong enough and he just isn't made for the OF.

Keep him on the bench or trade him. He did a decent job when starting 2nd at the start of the season but once Ozzie took him off in favor of Uribe and then stuck him back on there he tailed off.

Not to sound too negative, but Willie Harris would be the worst everday starter in CF in the majors if that's where the Sox put him next year. He has a very poor arm (don't let Hawk tell you otherwise), and his hitting doesn't make up for the average to below average defense that he would provide the Sox. I really hope that KW and Ozzie can see that Willie isn't a MLB caliber starter.

Just curious...is it crazy for me to suggest signing BOTH Polanco and Vizquel?

Put Omar at SS, Polanco at 2B, and Uribe at 3B, while trading Crede as a part of a package for a solid group of players and bringing in another power hitter of some type.

Can't say exactly what the lineup would be, not knowing how much the Sox would have available to spend on others and who would still be available...but even if we got Jose Guillen while trading Paulie, we'd be in good shape.

Hypothetically, this could be the lineup...

Vizquel - SS

Rowand - CF

Thomas - DH

Lee - LF

Guillen - RF

Uribe - 3B

Gload - 1B

Polanco - 2B

Davis/Burke - C

You will probably get good power numbers out of the 2-7 spots in the lineup, and good averages from 1-8.

Maybe I'm just thinking too far outside the box right now...but I think it could be something crazy enough to maybe work.

Anyone else got any thoughts on that idea?

Put Omar at SS, Polanco at 2B, and Uribe at 3B, while trading Crede as a part of a package for a solid group of players and bringing in another power hitter of some type.

Can't say exactly what the lineup would be, not knowing how much the Sox would have available to spend on others and who would still be available...but even if we got Jose Guillen while trading Paulie, we'd be in good shape.

Vizquel - SS

Rowand - CF

Thomas - DH

Lee - LF

Guillen - RF

Uribe - 3B

Gload - 1B

Polanco - 2B

Davis/Burke - C

You will probably get good power numbers out of the 2-7 spots in the lineup, and good averages from 1-8.

Maybe I'm just thinking too far outside the box right now...but I think it could be something crazy enough to maybe work.

Wite, do you think it would make more sense to have arow leadoff and vizquel bat 2nd?? IMO that would be the better thing to do because omar is a much better bunter and better at moving runners along then arow, jmo.

I am sorry but having Harris in center scares the heck out of me and I am not the only one. It seemed like whenever he was out there he would always take the wrong route to the ball. Not only that but it also seemed like the opposing team would always take an the extra bag with him out there. I don't think his arm is strong enough and he just isn't made for the OF.

Keep him on the bench or trade him. He did a decent job when starting 2nd at the start of the season but once Ozzie took him off in favor of Uribe and then stuck him back on there he tailed off.

I don't think that Willie Harris is that far off from being a serviceable CF. The guy has speed and that can make up for a lot of things. I'll agree with some of his judgments out there, but he was supposed to be strictly a 2b last year and didn't practice much in CF. As far as his arm goes, I cannot argue. There was a time when he was playing everyday last season he was over .300 in avg. All I am saying is that Willie Harris can be an excellent lead off hitter and is the type of player Ozzie wants. I want Vizquel and think Uribe should play every day. Why not try it?

I don't think that Willie Harris is that far off from being a serviceable CF. The guy has speed and that can make up for a lot of things. I'll agree with some of his judgments out there, but he was supposed to be strictly a 2b last year and didn't practice much in CF. As far as his arm goes, I cannot argue. There was a time when he was playing everyday last season he was over .300 in avg. All I am saying is that Willie Harris can be an excellent lead off hitter and is the type of player Ozzie wants. I want Vizquel and think Uribe should play every day. Why not try it?

Just cause willie is fast doesn't mean he's the type of player ozzie wants. Willie can't run the bases, he can't steal a base, he can't bunt, he's really not much of an ozzieball player outside of his speed which he fails to use.

Vizquel - SS

Rowand - CF

Thomas - DH

Lee - LF

Guillen - RF

Uribe - 3B

Gload - 1B

Polanco - 2B

Davis/Burke - C

Welcome to 3rd place in the AL Central for the next 2 years.

Just cause willie is fast doesn't mean he's the type of player ozzie wants.  Willie can't run the bases, he can't steal a base, he can't bunt, he's really not much of an ozzieball player outside of his speed which he fails to use.

Don't say Willie can't do those things, he just hasn't. He's too young and talented to give up on. His role wasn't clearly defined until The Sox were out of it last year. Example- They traded for Roberto Alomar again.

Don't say Willie can't do those things, he just hasn't. He's too young and talented to give up on. His role wasn't clearly defined until The Sox were out of it last year. Example- They traded for Roberto Alomar again.

To steal a phrase from Hawk Willie is a bundle of talent, however that talent isn't going to do anything for him if he can't do the little things. I actually have no problem with willie's bat being in the lineup as he's not a great hitter, however with the speed he possess everytime he gets on base he should be a threat to steal but he's not. Willie is an absolutely horrendous bunter, I have no problem having him in the lineup playing 2nd base batting 9th but playing him in cf and leading off is just not smart imo. Right now he's just not cut off to be a leadoff hitter until he learns to steal a base and become a little better with the bat, jmo.

Vizquel - SS

Rowand - CF

Thomas - DH

Lee - LF

Guillen - RF

Uribe - 3B

Gload - 1B

Polanco - 2B

Davis/Burke - C

Crede stays.....

I find it funny that everyone wants to dump Crede because he was so bad this year, yet he had very similar numbers than Uribe. Uribe had one more hit per week all season long than Crede. That is the only difference.

Crede actually walked more and struck out less. Their power numbers were close with a slight edge to Uribe.

My question is, why if Crede has nowhere to go but up, would we want to replace him with Uribe.

Uribe needs to either play 2B or be a super sub again, getting 400-500 AB's filling in between 2B, SS and 3B.

Don't you think if he could have he would have?

Not necessarily. Last season was Willie's first full one in the league. I have a hard time believing someone in the mold of a player Harris is (speed, contact, etc...) can't do those type of things. IMO, Harris needs to play everyday to continue to work on those kinds of skills. There is no doubt that he needs to work on a lot of things to become a good player, but sticking him on the bench will not help him at all. I've got no problem with him batting 9th, it doesn't hurt having a speed guy 9th.

Crede stays..... 

I find it funny that everyone wants to dump Crede because he was so bad this year, yet he had very similar numbers than Uribe.  Uribe had one more hit per week all season long than Crede.  That is the only difference. 

Crede actually walked more and struck out less.  Their power numbers were close with a slight edge to Uribe. 

My question is, why if Crede has nowhere to go but up, would we want to replace him with Uribe. 

Uribe needs to either play 2B or be a super sub again, getting 400-500 AB's filling in between 2B, SS and 3B.

Your absolutely right, it is way too early to give up on Joe Crede. Give him a chance to fix those holes in his swing. I'll take his defense at 3rd any day.

Not necessarily. Last season was Willie's first full one in the league. I have a hard time believing someone in the mold of a player Harris is (speed, contact, etc...) can't do those type of things. IMO, Harris needs to play everyday to continue to work on those kinds of skills. There is no doubt that he needs to work on a lot of things to become a good player, but sticking him on the bench will not help him at all. I've got no problem with him batting 9th, it doesn't hurt having a speed guy 9th.

Most times players such as willie harris can either bunt or they can't. Such as alex sanchez, juan pierre, luis castillo, etc. He is no threat on the bases at all, he just lloks like a scared sheep out there. Not very good lead-offs and not very good jumps equal his low amount of stolen bases. 19 is especially low considering the guy is suppose to be one of the faster in the league.

How is striking out 79 times in 409 at-bats a contact hitter? Not very good considering he was our lead-off hitter going into the year. Idealy the lead-off hitter is suppose to have one of the lower strike out rates.

Not necessarily. Last season was Willie's first full one in the league. I have a hard time believing someone in the mold of a player Harris is (speed, contact, etc...) can't do those type of things.

Sooner or later, he will convince you.

And everyone - remember Willie cannot hit lefties. If he plays, it has to be strictly platoon.

Vizquel is the type of player The Sox are indicating they want. I say go for him. Like I said on a previous thread, make Uribe the 2B and put Harris in CF and move Rowand to right.

If we do sign Omar, it will continue this weird exIndian fetish we've developed. Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton, both Alomars, Colon, now Vizquel. In 4 years, when he's way past his prime, we'll welcome Jim Thome to U.S. Cellular.