Vizquel to Sox-2 years, 8 mil?

shagar69

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just hope that by going after vizquel, instead of a renteria or cabrera, KW will now spend the rest of the money after a Top SP, like pavano or perez, not some piece of s*** like ortiz or milton

I'd rather have Vizquel then cabrera no matter what, orlando is very overrated, imo. Anyways I agree with you, I hope we go after Pavano :D if not Perez or a trade for a top of the rotation guy, Milton and Ortiz would get hammered here, jmo.

This isn't a make-or-break signing either way (the pitching staff is make-or-break), but I still find it hard to believe Vizquel is good enough to merit $4 mil per year.  We're talking about one good year in 4.  It's a mistake.

thats the only way we'll get him though. there are a s***load of teams looking for SS, including the rich teams like the cubs and bosox. they would gladly pay him 5 mil IMO. its best that we sign him early for a reasonable price

thats the only way we'll get him though. there are a s***load of teams looking for SS, including the rich teams like the cubs and bosox. they would gladly pay him 5 mil IMO.  its best that we sign him early for a reasonable price

If that's the price, let them have him.

The Indians have had him forever now, and they don't think he's worth $4 mil. What info do we have that makes us so much smarter?

EDIT: Btw, if they are willing to pay that much for him, they'll get him, since they'll make an offer before he's allowed to sign w/ the Sox on Nov 12th or thereabouts.

If that's the price, let them have him.

The Indians have had him forever now, and they don't think he's worth $4 mil.  What info do we have that makes us so much smarter?

EDIT:  Btw, if they are willing to pay that much for him, they'll get him, since they'll make an offer before he's allowed to sign w/ the Sox on Nov 12th or thereabouts.

the tribe doest want him cuz they got johnny peralta, a young kid, ready to take over for him.

This isn't a make-or-break signing either way (the pitching staff is make-or-break), but I still find it hard to believe Vizquel is good enough to merit $4 mil per year.  We're talking about one good year in 4.  It's a mistake.

I agree. Assuming that Vizquel is essentially replacing Harris, the Sox will be paying 4 million to improve the OBP in the 2nd spot by 0.010 (last year Harris was .343 and Viquel .353). The 3 previous years, Vizquel hit no better than Harris last year, and there's no way he's a sure thing at 38 to repeat last year's performance. Defensively, I don't think Vizquel-Uribe is much better than Uribe-Harris.

Vizquel is better than Harris, but getting him doesn't improve the team nearly as much as putting money into a starter or reliever or catcher would. Plus, overpaying by a few million per year adds up. The Sox have already done it with Contreras. Doing it repeatedly will prevent making key improvements like a real major league pitcher at the 5th spot.

the tribe doest want him cuz they got johnny peralta, a young kid, ready to take over for him.

Also Brandon Phillips, if he's finally as good as he says he is. But there have been reports that 1) they are preparing to not have Ron Belliard and 2) don't want to rely on both Phillips and Peralta (sp? -- I'm pretty sure there's an h somewhere in there) for success. Actually, there was an article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer suggesting they may pursue Polanco. I don't understand why we wouldn't do the same instead of signing Vizquel.

Also Brandon Phillips, if he's finally as good as he says he is.  But there have been reports that 1) they are preparing to not have Ron Belliard and 2) don't want to rely on both Phillips and Peralta (sp? -- I'm pretty sure there's an h somewhere in there) for success.  Actually, there was an article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer suggesting they may pursue Polanco.  I don't understand why we wouldn't do the same instead of signing Vizquel.

well peraltalta will play SS and phillips will play 2b. if they sign polanco he will replace phillips not peralta at SS. IMO, they have more confidence in peralta than philips

well peraltalta will play SS and phillips will play 2b. if they sign polanco he will replace phillips not peralta at SS. IMO, they have more confidence in peralta than philips

Okay... Yeah, that's exactly how I imagine it would work (IF they sign Polanco, just speculation by one writer at this point). But they feel that Vizquel at $4 mil is a worse value than someone else (maybe Polanco) at market value. Why should the Sox know any better?

$ 4 million dollars for a still great fielding SS and a great leader with a solid average/OPB, is a good deal. However, in the article, Gammons says "The White Sox have little money, and Ken Williams is starting at shortstop and trying to find a starter and an outfielder ... " I hope he is wrong about the money part, but I think after we get Visquel we will go after Dye or Hidalgo and a solid starter. I don't think this is raising payroll that much, but I don't know for a fact.

Actually, there was an article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer suggesting they may pursue Polanco.  I don't understand why we wouldn't do the same instead of signing Vizquel.

I agree. Polanco is around 29 and hit around .300 with 17 HRs, a decent OBP, and plays good defense at 2B. He should be signable for not too much more than 4 million a year and could hit #2 just as well as Vizquel. I think he's much better bet to post decent numbers next season and the season thereafter.